Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1960 Chrysler New Yorker Rustoration

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by BrandonBerkosky01, May 5, 2017.

1. The first fender is done !! It's hard to describe the feeling when I walked in my uncles garage and that fender was sitting there looking like the day it came out of the factory. He said it took very little to straighten it out. My metal work was very close. He said in the old days the metal guys would punish the body guys. They would weld it up just to get a job out the door and when someone asked if they were going to take care of this or that imperfection the answer was
    "oh don't worry that's for the finish guys"

Oh and yes, all the doors and fender are in my living room.

[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. DIYGUY

DIYGUY
    from West, TX

Just keep on making it solid man, We all admire your grit to save the old girl for you and your Dad. (Although that fender looks pretty darn good!) This is a car that you can't take at face value, the story (your labor) makes this one special!

BrandonBerkosky01 likes this.
  3. Sorry guys no groundbreaking progress lately. Been getting slammed with work.
    But here's the card my dad drew me for my birthday. He forgot to give it to me till today.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. manyolcars

manyolcars

Dont
    dont put brass on car body

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  5. Is it a thing of the past? Sometimes it really comes in handy.

6. manyolcars

manyolcars

Its easy to do but bondo doesnt want to stick to it

7. Round two fellas.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Squablow, chryslerfan55 and koolkemp like this.
  8. DIYGUY

DIYGUY
    from West, TX

Nasty, gross!:eek:

9. CURSED GEARS

CURSED GEARS

Mother nature sure had her way with your stuff! Keep rolling, sure enjoy watching you.

10. Gahrajmahal

Gahrajmahal

If that was the case 10 years in the body trade would have produced a lot of unhappy customers. Back in the day of oxyacetylene welding you had the choice of loads of heat and warpage with steel rod or quickly flowing some brass in there cooling it off with a wet rag. A skim coat of bondo over a 40 grit ground surface would do the job. True,when a prior repair came back, your bondo would have popped cleaner off the braze than the surrounding steel, but longevity was fine for typical pampered garaged cars. Nowadays with the practice of epoxy primer over the bare steel, then bondo over that, I think your job will outlast you and the old man. i think If it was me I would use weld through primer on the back sides of all of your repair panels, just to have some guard to the bare steel. great job, thanks for posting all the pics. That rust never stops!

BrandonBerkosky01 and SEAAIRE354 like this.
  11. koolkemp

koolkemp

What I have done with brass I didn't or couldn't remove in the past was spot blast it then dab POR 15 on it before mud never had problems with it breaking down.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

12. koolkemp

koolkemp

13. chopolds

chopolds
    from howell, nj
    1. Kustom Painters

When I apprenticed under an old school custom guy, all he used was brass. Just like anything else, clean and prep was important to get it right. My O 55_Olds 008 (2).jpg lds was done almost entirely with brazing, and is still looking good after 34 years. I also own another car my old boss built, again in brass. When I redid the plastic work, I did put a coat of epoxy over the brazed areas, just in case. It too looks perfect, after 12 years.

14. Got some work done on the fender today. Just more of the same if you guys want to see it again.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. BuiltFerComfort

BuiltFerComfort

This is good work. A bit of a slog, but keep it up, it will get there

16. One patch a day keeps the scrap man away

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I cut the patch out of a door from my grandpas 56 Chevy. He and the car are long gone, he'll live on a little in the chrysler.

[​IMG]

17. CURSED GEARS

CURSED GEARS

That is cool using Grandpa's sheet metal for your car. He will always be there for the ride along.

18. I stripped that 56 to the bone. It was literally a shell when we hauled it in. The rear, radiator and the transmission went into my 55. I sold the motor to a local guy and he put it in a 1935 Chevy dump truck.

Knowing what I know now it could have been saved. But I was 16. My gramps just died and the borough said everything goes. So I saved what I could.

19. Still following. Enjoying this build.

20. Thanks. I haven't done much lately. I've been preoccupied with another project I started. I'm doing a Cummins swap on my 71 international pickup. Should be wrapped up in about 2 weeks. I would post a few pics but it's "off topic" material.

21. Another one down.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

koolkemp, brEad, AndersF and 2 others like this.
  22. steinauge

steinauge
    from 1960

Wow! Amazing work. Manyolcars I recall that before mig welders every body man I knew used brass??

23. inthweedz

inthweedz

Nothing wrong with bronze repairs, it all depends on the prep before bogging / painting.
    You must get the flux off the repair, otherwise whatever is covering it will pop off after a small time.
    My old panel beater friend had an old (smallish) engine valve with grinder grooves cut in around the edge, mounted in an electric drill, and ran that over the repair, that moved any flux, plus roughed it up for bogging..

Last edited: Sep 8, 2017
  24. Thanks guys. Got more done than I thought I would today.
    I'm taking a different approach on this one. Instead of removing the headlight bucket I'm trying to leave it in and work around it.
    On the last fender I was hot nuts to play with my new tig. Honestly the welds are cleaner but the mig is way faster and uses up less gas.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

25. I'm really glad I left the headlight bucket in this fender.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

chryslerfan55, koolkemp and brEad like this.
  26. More of gramps door in this one.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

27. flatford39

flatford39

It' s unbelievable what you are doing. Thank you for sharing. It makes me feel like I can do more with my own projects.

28. Thank you. Honestly I have never been this deep. I had no idea I could do a lot of the things I've done on this car.

safetythird and brEad like this.
  29. CURSED GEARS

CURSED GEARS

Outstanding patch work as usual. I look at the way you do these patches and think to myself, "oh yeah, that makes sense"

BrandonBerkosky01 and DIYGUY like this.