Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Another HAMB drag set back

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by mcmopar, Jul 29, 2017.

1. mcmopar

mcmopar
    from Strum, wi

beano, thanks for the offer, not sure how it will play out. Abone ill have a beer for ya when we meet. I put 4 miles on my truck today and learned a lot. Now time to wrench again, but now I have a big smile while I do it.
    Tony

38 mopar_fan likes this.
  2. mcmopar

mcmopar
    from Strum, wi

And here we have another problem to solve. This is my fault for not completely assembly of it turn mock up. I love the stance just not the tire rubbing on fender. Need opinions on moving past this, here are my thoughts

New springs to lift front up. Not sure what rate is but can find out on monday.

Different offset wheels.

Taking fenders off is not a option, but wanna here ideas.
    Thanks Tony [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

treb11 and loudbang like this.
  3. hallrods

hallrods

Hey Tony,
    I guess we have a mutual friend in Robbie. I love the stance of your truck I think if it were mine I would look for a different offset rim.

raven likes this.
  4. flamedabone

flamedabone
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Summit has a solid 15X5 with a 3 1/4 back space. That is about as much as you are gonna find. How wide and what is the backspace of your current wheels?

It ain't a HAMB Drags thrash unless your credit card is smokin'

See you there, -Abone.

raven, Tim and saltflats like this.
  5. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Shit that thing looks fucking good with the fenders! Hell yeah! About a half dozen of us will be stopping at pete and jakes as well around the same time.

Where is it rubbing and when? At full lock or?

loudbang likes this.
  6. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

~ a quick look it seems like either different offset wheels or using a bar to roll your fenderwell opening out but I don't know that that's going to get you all the way there and the flair may look funky.

Lifting it isn't much of a solution because it would still rub when you bounce the suspension driving and the springs will eventually settle and put you at the beginning.

Frustrating for sure

7. mcmopar

mcmopar
    from Strum, wi

hallrods, ya we do Robbie is a good guy.

abone, they are 16x6 with 3.5 backspacing I believe (haven't checked backspacing yet). I bought these wheels used at Iola a couple of weeks ago. I think its going to be a combo of both as I look at it. The front of the grill is about 5" off the ground, so don't wanna go to a smaller wheel. The tire height is is 26". My credit card is aluminum, and it has started melting already.

Tim, frustrating for sure, but I am still trying. Symco this weekend so there is 3 days where nothing will get done. Maybe I will have it done before then.
    Tony

Texaswino and loudbang like this.
  8. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Do they make a rotor that has less offset?

9. hallrods

hallrods

Look at Wheel Vintiques they have custom back spacing 16X6 with a max 4 1/4 backspace

10. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Is there a lip on the inner part of the wheel opening you could trim or bend to get some more clearance?

11. flamedabone

flamedabone
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Peel a wheel off and check your measurements to make sure. That front wheel looks awful wide for a 16X6. One less inch sticking out the front would make a HUGE amount of difference. In an emergency, a pair of 15X4s from your local drag race guy would at least get you to the Drags and you can figure out a permanent solution when you get back.

Good luck, -Abone.

raven and loudbang like this.
  12. mcmopar

mcmopar
    from Strum, wi

Abone, that is one of the ideas also, I just don't know anyone with a set of them. Still talking, asking, and thing to get this solved.
    Tony

13. mcmopar

mcmopar
    from Strum, wi

Looking at factory wheel it might work. Across front of black wheel to bolt holes is 3 inches. The stock wheel is only 2 inches, that will save me a inch and the were used in mock up. It's still a 16 inch wheel but I can look for a smaller tire and credit card can take a break.
    I know this isn't back spacing but it's where it counts. Back spacing on black wheels is 4 inches.[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

loudbang likes this.
  14. Best set it on car and check brake clearance, etc. Trust nothing.

flatheadpete, loudbang and Tim like this.
  15. flamedabone

flamedabone
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Throw the stockers on there and hit the road. If it rubs a bit, it's no big deal, the interstate is pretty straight the whole way.....

-Abone.

guthriesmith and Tim like this.
  16. mcmopar

mcmopar
    from Strum, wi

Whats the skinniest 16" tire I can get. Has to be 27" or shorter. I would love to run the stock rims, then I can put my hubcaps on it. I know I have 215-60-16 (26" tall) on there now. I don't want the tire to bulge to much over the rim. Fender opening is 24" off of the ground.
    Tony

17. wingedexpress

wingedexpress

I can't help, but the truck looks good.

18. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Havnt read your updates but @porknbeaner has got some skinny wheels you could probably borrow if you were in a pinch

19. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Ok caught up it seems like your covered.

20. gene-koning

gene-koning

If those are adjustable coil overs that are out of adjustment, you can put a 1/2"-3/4" spacer between the bottom bracket and the spring to lift the front end enough for the clearance you need?

I have a set of 5 bolt 15" Dakota wheels (5 on 4 1/2" pattern) here, and can probably find a decent set of tires for them. I will check the offset tomorrow, but I'll bet they are around what you need. Use them, on your trip, then bring em back. Gene

loudbang likes this.
  21. mcmopar

mcmopar
    from Strum, wi

Gene, thanks for the offer, but they wouldn't let me race with those wheels on my truck. I do like the spacer idea, and every little bit helps. Today I look for tires.
    Tony

22. Tony,
    If your wheels don't work I got a pair of Ansens 5x15 and pretty much all of it back space. I am not sure that they will clear your rotors without a spacer though, they are originals, like in before disc brake originals. Anyway you are welcome to try them on and use them until you get something else if you want. You can get Volkswagon tires to go on them from Summit reasonable. If you decide to go that route I'll help you with the tires, I plan on running Volks tires on my car anyway.

Tire wise you can go to a 205x65x16. They will give you little or no bulge on a 5" wide wheel.

Let me know where you are at on this.

Also besides the hat trick that @Tim mentioned one thing to keep in mind is radiused wheel wells. The Alexander brothers were doing it in the '50s and '60s and it was an accepted custom practice. Here is an example. There are better ones but this is what I can find on the fly.

31B-bill-cushenbery-1940-ford-el-matador.jpg

loudbang likes this.
  23. mcmopar

mcmopar
    from Strum, wi

Beano, everything that I have says that is a 8 inch wide tire.

24. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Yeah but it's about as narrow as your going to find in a radial that height. And it will fit the 5 inch wheel.

Are you concerned with the tire bulge from a looks or rubbing perspective? I don't know that it would look any different than what you e got now bulge wise?

Also it does occur to me that you could run some ugly wheels that clear for the trip down and swap to the good looking ones in the hotel parking lot. I can promise you won't be the only one converting your ride from road trip to race strip mode

25. Russco

Russco
    from Central IL

I'm in Central Illinois I usually go through Hannibal Mo and southwest across Missouri to And end up in Springfield Missouri Thursday night it's a nice drive. I don't know it that route will work for you or not but it might. The Swap in Springfield on Friday is a must do for me everything year.

26. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

I had thought I'd mentioned it already but I've got a decent sized group of cars headed down from the Kansas City area around 10 am Friday

We are taking the big road but we aren't hauling ass to fast as we have some flathead cars that just won't do it going with us. Your more than welcome to join us, I'm just far enough from beano that if he hits his hand with a hammer I can't hear it. But if I hit his hand with a hammer I bet you could hear it at my house lol.

So if you get in early and fart around with him a bit you could go down with us all.

We are stopping at pete and jakes on our way south as well to pick up some more cars so if you end up wanting to just meet us on the way that's also an option.

Now, on a totally serious note your likely to pass threw Kansas City on your way to Joplin as it's basically the way to go unless you'd like to circumnavigate the globe.

I would really suggest just getting on i29 south, taking it to 435 to grab highway 49/71 to get threw the city. It's going to be way faster and less head aches even if you drive slow

Look at a map and that'll make since, though the names for 435 don't. I think one direction is. North and the other is west lol. If you are on i29 you just follow the signs that say "to Saint Louis" and then skip getting on 70 and just keep going south instead.

Anyhow. Looking forward to meeting you and seeing the truck. If you need anything at all from directions to a wrench don't hesitate to ask.

We also have a few people coming down Thursday from the Sioux City Iowa area, cutting down threw Omaha to us so if that aligns with your route I can put you in touch with them and you could cruise together. I know it always puts my mind at easy having someone along

KENDEUCE and loudbang like this.
  27. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I think I'd be looking at a pair of 15x6 oem rims that I can spray can black and some 195 17 15 tires and science out after the drags are done and I had some miles on the truck..

Playing with this list of 16 inch tires https://www.tirerack.com/tires/sizes/results.jsp?diameter=16 I'm not finding any 16 inch short skinny tires except for the skinny spares. even the 195 75 16 is 27 and some inches tall .
    This tire size calculator lets you do a quick comparison with what you have on the truck now https://www.tacomaworld.com/tirecalc

raven and loudbang like this.
  28. mike bowling

mike bowling

Hey ,Tony
    Just found this- sorry the gremlins have shown up, but you're winning the battle! You've got some great back-up ( the power of the HAMB) and hopefully will be hard charging soon. Good Luck at the drags- You have a cheering section in the North East!
    Mike

loudbang likes this.
  29. mcmopar

mcmopar
    from Strum, wi

Tim, thanks for the info. My buddy that is coming with me, booked the rooms, and we have them for Thursday night. I am hoping to spend some time Thursday, during the day talking with beano and others around his area.

Mike, they showed up, and someone fed them after midnight. I agree if I didn't have the help of the HAMB, I don't think this would be happening without this help.

Here is what I got for tires. I found a set of 195-60-16, put them on factory wheels, and all is good. It lowered the front of the truck about 1/2" but I will get to drive it. I spent about 4 hours that I don't have to build spacers, for the shocks that I wont use. At this point I'm not sure what else will go wrong, but I will take them head on, and win. I will take picks of my setup later.
    Tony

mike bowling and Tim like this.
  30. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Cool man sent you a message