Register now to get rid of these ads!

Letting the Standards slip...

Discussion in 'Questions & Suggestions' started by powrshftr, Jun 12, 2017.

1. Ryan not saying it is your fault or the mods. It is just a numbers thing. With more people comes more not understanding what your original vision was. Just saying when it was more underground I felt it was better. Obviously I am still here and still enjoy it.

Sent from my SM-J700T using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Max Gearhead likes this.
  2. I have been a member longer but my first account was hacked wise guy.

Sent from my SM-J700T using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Moriarity likes this.
  3. 46stude

46stude

LOL. You sure as shit ain't been paying attention, then. This forum is pretty much responsible for the whole S10 frame swap movement. It's more focused now than any time since I've been a member.

What we REALLY need is a true sister site for OT rides. Dogfight's name sucked (nobody wants to be associated w dog fighting, regardless of the real WWII reference), and it wasn't tended to like a forum should be by it's admin.

4. I like that this is Ryan's site. It ROCKS and for a reason, rules are enforced and the forums have a purpose. Lots of good information and some funny shit along the way. Where else do you get pictures of bunnies with a pancake on their head?

Thanks Ryan!

Sent from my iPad using H.A.M.B.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2017
  5. Just now saw this thread and decided to put my two cents in.
    Regarding OT stuff, it just "depends" if it's allowed.Depends on what I'm not sure, but it doesn't seem too out of control. Depends on the thread to me. If it's Datsuns, late models etc, it will vanish, if it's questionably traditional, it might stay.
    I really don't care.I can just not read it! I DO think I have rallied to keep street freaks out though, everyone knows I hate spindle mounts on gassers! I DO KNOW drag racing and drag cars!
    As for repeats, my God, look at the length of the "Days Gone By" and "Drag Motion "
    threads.I seriously think we have put up every old drag pic on the web .I'm not kidding, we are repeating constantly.That's why I no longer post there, that and the flamers that live to criticize.
    Same with the Gone By thread. It MIGHT be time to put it to bed!
    As far as flamers and critics, if I have repeats in my stuff it's because I have several posters on ignore and I don't see their posts. Big deal anyway. As for the flamers and those that have chosen to apparently hate me, Jesus guys! It's an internet picture thread! Get some professional help, WTF is wrong with you!! REALLY, wtf??
    PART of my 2 cents!
    Thanks Ryan, for giving me the Hamb.It's part of my daily life, I enjoy it immensely
    I REALLY MEAN THAT, thanks man!
    Gary

Last edited: Jul 27, 2017
    Sancho and The37Kid like this.
  6. The37Kid

The37Kid

^^^^^^^^^^ Try switching back to your old avatar and see if things change. Bob

7. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

I have not deleted any of your content. We usually only investigate and or delete when a post has been reported by another member. Whenever I delete content I always send along a notification to the poster so they know why. As always when we moderate and sometimes delete threads it is just to keep the board on topic and is just an editorial decision, and has nothing to do with personalities

lothiandon1940 and The37Kid like this.
  8. roundvalley

roundvalley

This thread proves that bitching is traditional!

9. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Actually, I moderate more than anyone else by a 4 to 1 margin or so.

Next time you have something deleted and you get confused, just pm me... I'll help ya out.

lothiandon1940, Moriarity and Paul like this.
  10. That's is very gracious of you Ryan!
    I was NOT accusing you, Moriarty of deleting my stuff! I hardly think you would.I'm just very surprised after all these years to have it happen.
    Ryan, I always assume you are off doing something cool, not moderating the HAMB! And you do have a real business to run.
    Anyway thanks guys! Really, thanks for taking the time to respond to this old mans questions!
    Gary

lothiandon1940 and Moriarity like this.
  11. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Ha! Moderating the HAMB is my real business actually. I live the life of a hermit on a piece of property 20 miles outside of Austin, TX - rarely leaving and when I do, it's to do stuff like take my kids to school or drop off merch at the post office.

One thing to keep in mind is that this place is also rigged to police itself as well. If a post is reported by more than 5 user accounts, it is soft deleted automatically. Sometimes this happens before we even see it.

mgtstumpy, Thor1 and lothiandon1940 like this.
  12. muldo

muldo

I recently had a build thread shut down (not deleted, just locked) due to a non-traditional foundation that my traditionally styled metal was to be built on.

I read the rules. Yes they are clear. They also stipulate that some stuff will slide if it's deemed interesting enough.

Based on the amount of threads I found with similar attributes to what I was doing I honestly felt my particulars were part of the 'let it slide' category. I didn't really look to see how many of those threads I found were also locked but it wasn't obvious to me. Maybe I just happened to see ones that slid...maybe I could have checked a little closer, but there's only so much one can look at before just wanting to get their work out there and see what happens.

I'll admit...I was confused and a little butthurt. I was so certain that my stuff would be ok I even asked what I did wrong. I came away from that thread feeling reprimanded like a child. One response was 'oh good you figured it out' as if I was a scorned boyfriend trying to solve the puzzle of 'if you don't know then I'm not telling you.'

I think I'm drawn to this site not only because of the content (traditional, off topic, other) but also because it WORKS. It's a very well made site and doesn't look like it was built using free BBS software from the late 90's like rodders roundtable or some of those other ones. To be honest I wish Ryan would copy the formatting and beauty over to the other Atomic sites like Garage Journal.

It was suggested I take my build to the Dogfight site to keep it in the family. Well that's a fine idea except Dogfight barely works, let alone gets enough traffic or interest to keep me coming back. Maybe I have some browser settings off or something.

When I get the time and inclination I think I'll take my build to the specifically 'off topic' forum on Garage Journal. It's the only loophole I can find to keep it in the family on a somewhat nice looking site.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

13. muldo

muldo

Whoops. Hit enter a little fast.

My point was I disagree the standards are slipping. I misunderstood them and that's fine. Based on my experience the intent is honest and kept up as well as possible. It is not possible for the mods to see every single thing. They're not paid and it would be a full time job to ensure every word on the H.A.M.B. is laced with tradition. Some stuff will get through. Mine didn't. Lol

The standard are not sliding. But there's so many people who want in the gate is going to let some through.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

14. Hotrodders.com is an excellent site full of very knowledgeable folks. There is no subjective censorship. It's just a site where folks help each other no matter what the subject is.

15. Not to single you out but I often wondered if any one actually uses that feature. You might be missing some good info or a laugh or two. I enjoy your pictures and every one else's for that matter. Its like thumbing through an old car magazine that never ends. If you can see this ;), take the blinders off, enjoy the good and the bad. A perfect world is a boring world.

ClayMart and lothiandon1940 like this.
  16. "May you live in interesting times." :D

wraymen and lothiandon1940 like this.
  17. LOL, PERFECT!

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  18. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

I like the idea, a HAMB for those that don't quite fit the traditional mold such as LS powered cars, with the age cut off going up to about the mid 70's. I won't go so far as to say Dogfight's name sucks, but will agree it doesn't sound like it would be a place many folks would want to visit. I went over there and gave it a look, didn't look like it had much traffic at all, more like a ghost town. A lot of us grew up in the late 60's-early 70's time period, and that is the time period we remember most. I remember looking at pics of the early 70's Nats with T buckets sporting wide Goodyear Blue Streak tires, wild custom paint, outlandish interiors, pony and muscle cars with deep 5 slot aluminum wheels and white lettered tires, things burned into my mind forever. Some of them we look back at now and think they were goofy, but at the time, they were the rage. I wasn't there back when what we call traditional was the hot thing, but I still appreciate it, but I can't talk for everyone, I tend to have tastes that fit many eras. I just don't let my OT interests slip in here too much with all respect for others. It would be nice to have a sister site that would cover the stuff that doesn't quite fit in here, where if it got posted here it could be moved there without it being zapped entirely. With some of the same good people here, it would work I think.

19. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

I've voiced my views here on the Editor's Questions and Comments before about off topic vs on topic as far as cars go, and don't always agree with the official position, but I try to live within the bounds dictated.
    But now I have found a new to me problem: There is a thread titled "Help: My Neighbors Are Complaining" posted by a new member, a young lady posting as Ann Marie.
    She has an on topic Chev. pickup that she has apparently done much of the build herself. Problem is that she lives in a condo and parks in an underground parking garage, has an older female neighbor who is complaining loudly about gasoline fume emanating from A M's truck while it's parked there.
    She started a thread asking for help in alleviating the problem.
    There have been the usual posts from the wise asses, the posts from those who somewhat side with the neighbor lady, those who criticize the ones agreeing with the neighbor, those who comment on liberal vs conservative viewpoints on such issues, those who comment on which/states/regions lean in which directions on this and similar issues, and those who rant about this, that and the other.
    Now the post has been blocked from further comment by Super Moderator corn cob coupe who states there have been complaints of politics in the thread.
    So I would like to know just specifically when/where this thread crossed the line into politics instead of friendly disagreement on issues that concern us all?
    Not trying to start a fuss, just want to know where the line is, because myself, I didn't even think about politics , just human nature , even going back and reading the entire thread again.

20. Paul

Paul
    Editor

You should also have read that life and death of a thread is an editorial decision and may not be simple to pin down.
    I would suspect that it was drama that killed that thread, politics was secondary.
    To call out the moderator for his decision can also be seen as instigating if not at least perpetuating drama.

21. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

I'm not calling out anybody and nothing was said by corncob coupe about drama, just politics. All I'm doing is asking for is when/where did the thread cross the line so I understand? I did make a comment about people who readily admit they haven't read the whole thread, but still commenting being a pet peeve for me. But if anybody thinks that's drama, you ain't seen nothing yet!:)

22. metalshapes

metalshapes

Usually, the people who ask for clear definitions of the rules are the ones who constantly try to push the boundaries.

The No politics & religion rules should need no further explanation...

23. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It crossed the line when people started using the tags of political leanings.

The rules are clear: No Politics.

This is a car board, not a political insult board.

No means no.

If you want to comment on the veracity of what someone did (or didn't do) that's one thing.

When you start making broad, sweeping generalizations about entire groups of people, that's another.

We have every single facet of Humanity represented here. ALL of them. Not one is missing. You might be surprised by that, but it is indeed true.

When folks start throwing stones at large parts of the other folks here, they are rightfully reported, more so if the do it to smaller, more select groups.

This is not the place for that nonsense.

24. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

Just went back and reread my post to make sure that I didn't say anything about states, regions, politcs, or any of the things mentioned above, as I try to avoid such, having been chastised in the past. But I did have a comment about people who readily admit they haven't even read the preceding posts in a thread, but still post a comment. So, I don't think that I personally share in any plan for the transgressions that were objectionable.
    But neither did the OP, Ann Marie, who had a real problem on an OT vehicle, a '50 Chev. p'up. So I feel she's being penalized for the sins of others. Might be that a simple cautionary post from a moderator about the political stuff would have cooled things down sufficiently?
    But at least it wasn't deleted, and I'm thankful, for the OP, for that.

25. corncobcoupe

corncobcoupe
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

DOM, I have no issue with sharing a Editorial decision.

Anna Marie has plenty of suggestions to work with and I hope the suggestions work for her.
    It was closed.....not deleted as you stated.
    Just because you didn't see political posts - doesn't mean they weren't posted and deleted at some point.
    I did delete political posts multiple times.
    If a post seems to attract multiple posts that are not in the guidelines of the HAMB - more than likely it gets closed or deleted.
    Did the OP get penalized - sometimes but in this case it started off with " Any advice both technical and political is appreciated."
    I should have caught that right away and the political comment reports came a little while after that.
    I closed it so Anna Marie could reference some of the suggestions.

You answered your own question on specifics on why.......
    " There have been the usual posts from the wise asses, the posts from those who somewhat side with the neighbor lady, those who criticize the ones agreeing with the neighbor, those who comment on liberal vs conservative viewpoints on such issues, those who comment on which/states/regions lean in which directions on this and similar issues, and those who rant about this, that and the other."

The latter part of your statement is specifically why.

Again, Anna Marie has plenty of suggestions to work with and I hope the suggestions work for her.

Back to cars.....

FlyFisher likes this.
  26. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

Thx for the reply corncobcoupe. You're prolly right about posts I didn't see, because although I read the post early on in it's posting, I didn't post a reply, and therefore didn't get a subscription to it, and it had grown by leaps and bounds before I ran across it again. I have strong opinion on some things related, but try not to post them here nor let them show.
    Again, thx for the reply, at least now I know.

27. Que Twilight Zone music!
    I just recieved a middle of the night phone call from Steffan Jobst from Germany all apologetic and apparently thinking I have something to do with his being banned here.
    WTF?, No, DOUBLE WTF?
    For the record HAMB pic posters, I have NO IDEA WHY, WHEN or WHATEVER got him banned, frankly had no idea WTF he's calling me for. Still don't.
    So, I have no juice, power or say about banning anyone or ANY HAMB business!
    I just want to post , if people like my posts great, if they don't ..I DON'T CARE!
    Call me mystified, Don't know a F'n thing about it!
    POSTED JUST TO KEEP THE RECORD STRAIGHT!
    Jeeeeeez, WTF NEXT? Leave me out of the drama!

Moriarity likes this.
  28. The moderators are very good about catching off-topic posts. In fact I have had a couple off-topic threads I started deleted and even been temporarily banned from the site for inserting a political comment. That is good and necessary to keep the site a go-to place for our favorite topic; vintage rods.

All that being said, I wonder why they tolerate blatant profanity? As offensive as religious and political subjects are to some, that is how profanity is to many. Movies, this site, books, TV shows, politicians, etc., notwithstanding, there is a big fraction of the population that is offended by that language. I know for a fact that a dialog can occur with nonprofane language. I do not refer my grandkids to this site for that reason.

Just wondering.

quick85 likes this.
  29. pitman

pitman

Dr. Moriarity, I noted that a recent thread where a few of us had opined on use or not of Rack types of steering, was deleted. Ah, well, in 1970 my first build (Avatar) had '61 Corvair IFS, and a '63 MG rack & pinion. Later came a rect. tube frame, Muncie and '63 Vette IRS. The newest parts were belts, hoses and eventually '67 Chevelle discs. I built w/pre '64 as it was what I could afford. Only older mech. types would advise, as Musclecars were the current 'fashion'. It troubles me to learn where sharing of exp. is squelched, I do understand if a Mod. needs to prevent a keystroke-slugfest. Thanks for your work here!

Last edited: Dec 5, 2017
  30. Early Ironman

Early Ironman

Now, can I report this thread for not being about traditional hot rods or customs?!

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

'49 Ford Coupe and pitman like this.