Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest Cruise Night Mutterings

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by bobss396, Jul 26, 2017.

1. This thread is funny, I dig the stories. Interacting with people is always interesting however you do it.

The couple I've tried to pull into didn't go well. Grumpy old men barking at me. In so many words, saying "WTF are you doing here? Who TF are you?" So I usually just drive bye them. I'll give it another shot sometime, maybe they just ran out of rice pudding at the old folks' home on those nights...

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

29FordMN, Bugguts, czuch and 5 others like this.
  2. wicarnut

wicarnut

One of my favorites is " Man, wish I could afford a car like that" spoken by a man, 1/2 in bag with a beer in one hand and a cancer stick in other. Never say, but would like say, drink less beer, stop smoking and in no time you could afford a nice Hot Rod. So many people never figure how to make their dreams come true, not that hard if sit down and think about it, there are no excuses. Best advice I received or have given, if you want it, figure it out, make it happen, work harder, smarter, never give up on your dreams.

3. I have come to the conclusion that our population is made up largely of stupid and or ignorant people. I'm smarter than the average bear, but I get to brush shoulders with those who dove into the shallow end of the gene pool. This supports what I hear when I'm out with the car.

4. 28 Ford PU

28 Ford PU
    from Upstate NY

wicarnut and Bruce Fischer like this.
  5. topher5150

topher5150

or they haven't had their prunes in a while so they've been backed up for a couple of weeks

6. Or that comment comes from someone who has a $60,000 piece of Eurotrash, thinking your car cost a lot more than theirs. They are amazed when you tell them that you built your car for the same money as they have in their transmission!

czuch, Bruce Fischer, Jet96 and 3 others like this.
  7. El Caballo

El Caballo
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Sounds a bit like some of the coffin dodgers we have here. ;)

8. When asked this, I ask THEM, whats it worth to you to find out!;)

Bruce Fischer, Jet96 and 41 C28 like this.
  9. I agree! However, I do know we live in a pretty narrow field of vision being a car nut. Everybody doesn't see the world through a windshield of a car.

For instance, I was at a friends house the other day and they were watching GOLF on TV, of all things. (Why couldn't they switch the channel to racing or something exciting?) :cool:

They were SO excited about so and so who just got an eagle. I said, "I didn't see an eagle!"

The whole afternoon, they were trying to explain to me about golf being so "professional" and I just couldn't / wouldn't get it. Birdies, greens, par, wedge, woods, irons, WHAT??? They might as well have been talking a foreign language! :confused::confused::confused:

To me, golf (as well as other sports) is as stupid as watching paint dry and grass grow... :eek::p:D

10. 59bones

59bones
    from Illinois

I dont think I will ever forget this one from years ago.

I had a Roman Red 60 Impala 4 door Sport Sedan, 100% original car. An elderly gentleman probably in his nineties came to take a look and was staring at the letters across the front of the hood.

He pronounces each letter as he reads along "C - H - E - V - R - O - L - E - T" then adds "Chrysler - damn they made good cars".

All I could do was chuckle and agree with him!

BigDogSS, Jet96, 31hotrodguy and 2 others like this.
  11. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

I know that's not a hot rod, and so not HAMB friendly, but I love those old Willys trucks!

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  12. LAROKE

LAROKE

Sometimes ya get a good comment. Old couple with their grandkids in tow. Guy asks me "What year?" I respond "Thirty-seven." He points at his wife "She's a thirty-seven too but I like yours better." I drop my beer.

Poh, Denns1989, Dangerous Dan and 9 others like this.
  13. Actually is was "rodded " in the early '60s. Still had the 283 in it when I sold it. :)

But you are correct in the purest sense it would not be considered a hot rod. The thing that always got me was how many people thought that it was an old Ford. Hell people would stop in front of the house and ask the old Ford questions. :D

Blues4U likes this.
  14. There's a lot of that going around. Some people can't be dissuaded by the facts, and they reproduce, too.

dylan60 likes this.
  15. LAROKE

LAROKE

There are Willys trucks and then there are Willys trucks . . .

[​IMG]

16. 31hotrodguy

31hotrodguy

I wish I saw more Willys pickup truck done this way!

Sent from my SM-G550T using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

chryslerfan55 and upspirate like this.
  17. southcross2631

southcross2631

Was at a cruise in one time with my 53 Ranch Wagon and an old guy came up with a cane . Could barely walk and looked around to see if his wife was out of hearing range and looked in the back window of my wagon and told me that was the first time he ever had sex was in the back of a Ranch wagon just like mine. you could see him go way back in time as he walked away. It was a cool moment.

18. flamingokid

flamingokid

Looking at my Cord 810 and asking if it's a Volkswagen.

19. OneBad56

OneBad56

I usually get them sited.

My 52 Chev is shaved, nosed and decked with no ID as to what it is except for the upper grille bar which has a faint "chevrolet" embossed into it.
    I also added extra teeth in the grille.

[​IMG]

When a spectator bends over to read the grille bar, I usually say" be careful, it might bite!"

20. 4dFord/SC

4dFord/SC

<<To me, golf (as well as other sports) is as stupid as watching paint dry and grass grow... :eek::p:D>>

Take away the ball and it's just walking.;)

TagMan, clunker and Montana1 like this.
  21. upspirate

upspirate

My ex came out to our '29 roadster from the grocery store to find two old lady's sitting on the running boards discussing back when they were dating and riding in the rumble seats.
    With a wink and a twinkle in her eye , one says to my ex "you'd be surprised what went on in those rumble seats!!"

That's the kind of experiences I like rather than the shows that make rodding fun to me

22. I was at the laundry today and a guy came out to talk about the car... Of course, he asked what year and I told him '32. Then he proceeded to tell me of a '45 coupe that he saw for sale on the way home from work. O-kay... :rolleyes:

mad mikey and lothiandon1940 like this.
  23. LM14

LM14
    Member Emeritus
    from Iowa

Back when we used to race:
    Car on the trailer, trailer loaded with tires, 3 guys in matching shirts getting gas at a station late afternoon on a Friday on the other side of the state.

"This a race car?"
    Me, "Yep"
    "You going racing?"
    Me, "No, we're just so proud of how the numbers and lettering turned out we're just dragging it around 200 miles from home to show it off"
    "Sounds like a dumb thing to do. Why would you do that?"
    Me, "So you had something to do this afternoon, looks like it worked"
    Him nodding and agreeing, "Will it run?"
    Me, "Nope, that's why there's a winch on the trailer. We spent so much on the lettering we couldn't afford an engine."
    Him yelling at his buddy leaning on the station wall, "They ain't even got an engine, just pulling it around to show it to people!"
    His buddy, "them NASCAR guys are odd, that's one of them sprint cars or something, seen em on TV".
    It was a dirt late model and we were only about a mile from the track and other and trailers were going past.
    Me, "Well, I better be going, the parade started again and I don't want to lose my spot".
    They waved as we drove out.

24. topher5150

topher5150

I think I was "that guy" a couple of years ago. There was a pastel colored deuce coupe done up in the typical street rod/pro street style. Then a couple of years later I see this same deuce at a car show, but now it's a different color, everything on this car was EXACTLY the same. I asked the guy if he repainted it because there is another one just like it. I forget what he said, but he didn't seem to happy about it.

25. Guy at car show: "That's a flathead, right?"

Me: "No, the valves are in the heads."

Guy at car show: "Chevy?"

Me: "No, it's a Chrysler."

Guy at car show: "You should have put one of them hemis in it."

Me: "Yup."

-18_zpselqzyuur.jpg

Last edited: Sep 19, 2017
  26. I AGREE!!!! I rather be fishing. LOL . Bruce.

27. jbon64

jbon64
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

On the other end of the spectrum sometimes i'll ask a harley guy "how does your honda davison ride ??" Gets 'em fuming

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

28. slammed truck pulling a loaded40 foot goose neck..........and some guy says "I don't know why folks ruin trucks like that, ya can't haul or pull anything anymore with it"

29. B Ramsey

B Ramsey

I pulled into a gas station in my Corvette with my old lady in passenger seat. Old boy was going on about how he use to have one just like her, hotter than a two dollar pistol and the fastest thing around.....

30. Sheep Dip

Sheep Dip
    from Central Ca

More than once...."what is it?" ....It's a 1940 Ford Coupe....."I used to have one."

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.