Register now to get rid of these ads!

HUBBA HUBBA my 32-4 Tudor tribute to Gramps

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Runnin shine, Jul 15, 2015.

1. What about the Pines?

loudbang likes this.
  2. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

I can't build you a Pines with out some red paintalthough I look at the copper bars as red. They will eventually get nice and green with sweat and piss.
    These copper slats have got me so thirsting for a louvered copper roof insert. I will be saving a long time to get a sheet. Ideally I would want a piece from a huge disassembled shine still.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

loudbang likes this.
  3. What shade of red? If that is all it takes get working on mine.;)

loudbang likes this.
  4. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

This is all too funny. The quality of work I do would never be worthy of the Coleman Coupe. I'm not that cruel but I am crude and kind?

loudbang likes this.
  5. Not from what I have seen! Anyway I was going to put the Pines on my roadster.:cool: The Roadster is a much better built car. I know because I did it.:rolleyes:

6. So-cal Tex

So-cal Tex

Wyatt, get your ass in gear! TROG Bonneville is about a year way and I want a race you !!

7. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

Wow, this post caught me off guard while attempting to watch a movie with Mrs. Runnin Shine.
    I stumbled and couldn't respond. To have the of owner of one of the HAMB's coolest builds spit across the umpires line in the sand at me is very humbling indeed. This sent my mind spiraling out of control. I believe it even kicked my motivator meter up a needle sweep digit or two.
    I can't imagine a day where I could afford to get to Bonneville or TROG. But I sure can daydream that's one thing we all here seem to be gifted in.
    I will try harder now Tex. I won't make the hillclimb this year now either. I was looking at my 40s pudding bowl helmet the other day and got sad about this after pissing away over two months of build time.
    I am going to work on that grill bezel today, pinky swear.

brEad, loudbang and Tim_with_a_T like this.
  8. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

A few more inspirational pics from the Meltdowns.

Tim's 5w interior
    [​IMG]
    Possibly the best use of a Model A Tudor
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Clean 32 inside and outside
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Super awesome 3w inside and out
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    And with out starting a SBC war, I can tolerate one if it's tastefully done in early garb.
    [​IMG]
    And a slightly non-thread compliant
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I love this gold beast and this second reminds me a lot of a build me and my best friend had begun for him. Divorce came along and the 500 had to go. I sent him some pics of this car that day and he didn't respond. Might have made him to upset.
    [​IMG]
    Finally a switch back to Hubba Hubba
    [​IMG]
    I really want this look but I think it's all too much and and probably settling closer to where it is now. But as curly said "day ain't over yet".

9. So-cal Tex

So-cal Tex

Thanks Wyatt!! I am just here to hopefully give you some inspiration as I am trying to find the $$$ and time to finish my coupe so I can relate. I always need some sort of event to get me motivated and TROG Bonneville 2018 is my new goal.

Stogy, loudbang and Runnin shine like this.
  10. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

With sanding and polishing I think I can use this one. I'm getting better but I don't want to do this 20 more times until its except able.

[​IMG]
    I know it looks rough.
    [​IMG]
    All the edges get trimmed back almost by half. And the three trim points are long right now
    [​IMG]
    And a little make believe session.
    The stainless piece and Hupp emblem get folded down the center and three rivets will go through all parts and a dummy flat blade screw goes on the top portion.

scotty t, ct1932ford, slv63 and 5 others like this.
  11. SHIT MAN! I think it is looking great and if I was you I would run with it. If the masses don't approve then screw them all.

Dick Stevens and Runnin shine like this.
  12. Dick Stevens

Dick Stevens

The rest of the car you are using parts that are less than perfect, with patina and whatever, so this should look good with the rest of it!

loudbang and Runnin shine like this.
  13. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

I currently plan to trim this bugger back some after some sanding and give'r some elbow grease. I think I will then start on one more before I loose my drive. I might even be able to save one of the last ones if I use heat. I then will attempt to make a better top piece or two with heat. The bottom was much, much, more difficult to make.
    To make a nice one for Mark I'll probably just need to round up a shiny re-pop grill insert, remove the bars, make my signature copper bars but have them nickel plated to better match the stainless, get another winter front plaque or something else in its place. A clone would look ok with just a piece of brass or copper down there. If I etched my own image that could be cool two?

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

Stogy and loudbang like this.
  14. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

[​IMG]
    All done
    Just kidding. I was looking at my reference pics and noticed this one is either a phony bezel or been tweaked.
    The badge is too high and only riveted on directly. It is missing the swing door for the crank to go through. Also the bezel is connected to the outboard trim band. But it very nicely made if it's fake. I don't think I will attain this quality.
    Correct for example use
    [​IMG]

ct1932ford and loudbang like this.
  15. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

Wow this is depressing I just noticed when deleting some pics from my phone that I got this car 2yrs ago yesterday
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

loudbang likes this.
  16. nothing to be depressed about, your doing good things!

Runnin shine and loudbang like this.
  17. jerseyboy

jerseyboy

Shine,
    Don't feel bad, it's been 10+ years for me working on my project.:(

Runnin shine and loudbang like this.
  18. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

Guys my biggest shame in this builds sluggish behavior besides sometimes having a feeling of letting you all down is that it's a ode or nod to my Gramps. He is really getting on now in years at 87. I was quite driven to start this project with hopes that he may drive it around a bit or at least be photographed with it. His eye sight is fading and honestly he drinks quite a bit of wine to pass the time now that my Grandmother has passed. His older brother and golf partner passed this winter and he has stopped playing the game. He loves to read and that's getting harder. When that comes to an end I don't know how his spirit will maintain. Not to be morbid but it's hard not to see his twilight approaching.
    I personally am not in the greatest hurry to have the car finished for myself so much. Of course I'm excited to drive it stop tripping over the mess then move on to finishing my 32 pickup. I also talk a bunch about racing it some and taking the kids in it as much as possible. That though doesn't get me off my rump from day to day.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2017
    jerseyboy and loudbang like this.
  19. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

Since it will possibly days before I get another chance to sneak in some hot rod work, I have to show my small progress. My attitude is complete flipped on this grill bezel. Taking in to account the ten or thirty foot rule, it seems to be a passable piece coming my way.
    I've been working out the "blacksmith" marks with a Dremel.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Then I trimmed it back to get a better visualization
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I did a little hammering to the main curve's new cut edges.
    [​IMG]
    I didn't make the buck very accurate or symmetrical. And it shows in the bezel more than I thought it would. I believed I could tweak the finished piece by hand. Not really true.
    I sanded more with Dremel and started to wet sand it with 400.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    It is taking shape enough now that I'll back up and try to hammer it out better. Then sand out the scratches more and back to finish sanding for polish. It still won't be perfect. Now I'm ok with it looking pretty good and when your up on the car it will show that it's hand made. I'm not ashamed of it any longer.
    I can't wait to redo the top piece to this level.

20. slv63

slv63

It looks great!! Don't be so hard on yourself.

21. greaser

greaser

When the street rod inspectors bend over to check it out... kick 'em in the butt! I think its great.
    You are talented and determined... I've never seen anyone else try to re-create a pines grille!

loudbang, slv63 and Runnin shine like this.
  22. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

A little test fit
    [​IMG]
    It meets up fine but I don't have enough hands to hold it tight and snap a shot for yous guys
    I may weld the to pieces to the center bar and smooth it out. Original Pines centers were one piece. The overlapping of the two top and two bottom side ends will be believable.
    A little "old chrome" duct tape to mock this pic
    [​IMG]
    I'm confident a new top piece will be much nicer as will the bottom with some more lovin.
    I'm still debating what to do with the notches to the main band from the original grill bars.
    I need to get some small rivets for the Huppmobile plaque.

scotty t, waxhead, jerseyboy and 8 others like this.
  23. dumprat

dumprat
    from b.c.

Looking good Wyatt! For some reason I haven't been getting updates. Keep at it!

Runnin shine likes this.
  24. Just make sure and make two of everything because thy ol hypersonic special would look good with one...

25. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

"No grill for you go back to the end of the line!"
    Actually punk you'll have to wait till I finish one for @ct1932ford and that could take a long time in Wyatt years, but you'll be second ok.

26. I don't mind being First. :p

27. Hey you always taking about being alittle on the broke wagon, maybe this is your calling, everyone is re popping speed parts in shitty third world cuntrees, and here you are in the greatest country hand making a very cool and wanted part/grill. So get that ass up and get to work soldier. Wyatt's grill works..... See I just named the company for ya a I will be a partner at 51%.:D Always remember, " The modest beginnings start with a single blow of the horn man!!! "
    Light bulb Bursttttttt!!!!!
    Hypersonicccccccccccccc

brEad, Runnin shine and loudbang like this.
  28. Grill is looking good! I agree with @paintslinger805 that there might be an opportunity there for you.

29. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

Pretty sure my grill setup will be a money loosing procedure.
    For me I started with a hundred dollar original Henry insert that was missing most of the bars. The copper for the shutters since I got it from Menards is not officiant, I got it in 5' sections $6 so that's two slats in each section with a lot of scrap, wasteful, I think I used 10 pieces to get 16 shutters with a few screw ups. 8 should normally suffice when I have the hang of it. The stainless piece for the bezel is either 11.99 or 19.99, can't remember. I bought 4 now from multiple failed experiments. I forgot what the stainless middle tube cost, maybe 10 or 20 bucks. Then there's getting a old Pines Emblem off of a less desirable insert that can very.
    I was initially going to make mine stationary at a cool soft angle that show how each side turns in to the center.
    Now I'm looking at making it functional with a pull/push cable(maybe a Columbia 2spd rear control). I figure I need to shut them to achieve optimum terminal velocity at el' mirage and Muroc. Shutters shut will yield less surface tension after all. I think anyone buying one of these would insist on it functioning. Much more work.
    I also want to make @ct1932ford 's bars out of polished stainless instead of copper. I do not know what new complications this will bring.
    Sadly I would probably be sacrificing re-pop inserts to make these since I wouldn't even know where to begin making the outer trim ring/frame. The real Pines have a bulkier flatter shape to the trim pieces. I am making my middle pieces match the Henry insert ring/band size as best I can.
    I am concerned with stepping up the quality for Mark's and we'll see after that.
    Something I've learned through my short tenure in life. No one ever wants to pay me for effort and labor especially since I have never fully perfected any of my craft works.
    I'm not really interested in doing this as a small business idea. Normally I seem to be against cheap parts messing with the value of original ones. But the Pines Winterfront takes the cake for getting out of hand, $5,000-$10,000 complete pristine grill assembly, WTF! I have no quarrel with holding the 32 Ford in high regard but there has to be realistic limits on this stuff. I mean we're not talking Bugadi or Duisenberg here. Just good old cool plain and simple.
    Anyone who follows my rampant mouth shrapnel will know I am building mine cause I think they're the just the bees knees and I normally drive the broke wagon as Bruce says which is cool beans with me. Although my first band was called Power Wagon and we went for broke.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2017
    Stogy, brEad and loudbang like this.
  30. Wyatt, I thought we were kidding!:oops: I would be honored, but don't feel obligated. If you are serious I would not want polished stainless . Plain steel painted black or original silver would be what I would do. Again I can't say how moved I am that you are considering it. :cool:Not like you have nothing better to do!:rolleyes: Please don't feel like you must. Thanks Mark

Stogy, brEad, loudbang and 1 other person like this.