Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Dodge This - 1939 Dodge Southeast Gasser Build

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Dog_Patch, Aug 12, 2014.

1. Good call! Jack was just here and hasn't seen that site.

loudbang likes this.
  2. glrbird

glrbird

Dog_Patch and loudbang like this.
  3. He came over last night and pulled the axle to put on new parts. Worked past dark and rode away again - never saw him after that.
    IMG_5539.JPG

Johnny was working on my block - honing with the torque plate - and he says you need a BBC and this issue will go away . I wrote on a hero card. He liked it enough to put me on his board.

IMG_5535.JPG

IMG_5533.JPG IMG_5538.JPG

So after several calls - we found a way to get to 18 pounds on the oil ring. Rings are on order. Cam is full grooved on the oil supply now.

4. Higgy's Henry

Higgy's Henry

Well?........

loudbang likes this.
  5. Jeff - new post!
    Dotting the I's and crossing the T's this time around. 4 pistons left to install tonight. Checked all the bearing clearances and ring gaps, rod side clearances etc. Talked to 4 tech lines about ring tension and ring seal and engines that smoke on the passenger side - not unheard of in round track apparently. I've never taken this much time to put it together. All day Saturday and all day Sunday.

IMG_5595.JPG IMG_5599.JPG IMG_5601.JPG IMG_5612.JPG IMG_5621.JPG IMG_5627.JPG IMG_5638.JPG IMG_5614.JPG IMG_5624.JPG

6. Higgy's Henry

Higgy's Henry

I can't remember, did you get a crank scrapper made?!

loudbang likes this.
  7. Sent the guy an email, 3 weeks later he replies - "same address? I'll send a template" that was a month ago. So no didn't get a scraper this time around. I've got some time and its not rocket science, I might try to make one.

mad mikey and loudbang like this.
  8. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

What about rod side clearance? I can see .014 on the feeler gauge in pic, if that's the clearance with a snug feeler gauge, I think that should be OK. Lots of the circle track problems on excess oil on right side is due to turning left at such a high G force.

mad mikey and Higgy's Henry like this.
  9. Yeah .016 would not fit at all and the .014 drags just a little. .015 is the target.

Last night I ran the 'backwards bearing' test - new to me was BBC rods and so last season I had some of the rod bearings mixed up between upper and lower. I'll try to find the pictures from December when I tore down the engine, but the edge of the bearing was copper. I'm like damn - almost spun a bearing or something. Then I get to looking and you can read upper and lower on the bearing - the upside down ones were copper rubbed on the edge.
    It makes about .017 difference in the rod side clearance - which put the rod side clearance at zero last season. Didn't hurt the crank at all. But damn if it didn't confuse me on the source of the smoke. This year we got a lot more oil sling coming off of the properly installed bearings.

IMG_5628.JPG IMG_5629.JPG View attachment 3611349 IMG_5631.JPG IMG_5632.JPG View attachment 3611354 IMG_5634.JPG IMG_5635.JPG

Last edited: Aug 4, 2017
  10. Hang'emHigh

Hang'emHigh

To quote a funny bald guy I know, "Doh!"

loudbang likes this.
  11. greybeard360

greybeard360

Some bearings that look the same but are marked upper and lower aren't the same.... The lower bearing has a little bit more clearance built in to allow for more oil to get between the crank and bearing so that you get a better film on oil on the journal as the crank rotates.

Sent from my Moto G Play using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

12. hot dam, got notified....git it done

loudbang, Dog_Patch and allwilly like this.
  13. Done for now until the rocker arms come back from Missile - wore the dogs clear out.

IMG_5639.JPG IMG_5645.JPG IMG_5646.JPG

14. Higgy's Henry

Higgy's Henry

Last edited: Aug 1, 2017
  15. Fiddle Picker

Fiddle Picker

Your post about the rocker arms and the dogs being worn out had me wondering what the hell was the dog part of a rocker arm? Doh ! again....(same bald man) saw the rest of the pics !! Still watching your progress. Looking good.

55belairx2, Dog_Patch and loudbang like this.
  16. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Tony you better move that tool box up off the ground or your back will be worn out too.

17. It's August I'm on re-ring #3 of the smoke show :eek: you want to send me an engine to assemble o_O. I will tell you I have learned more about piston ring tension and ring design than I ever thought a guy should need to know. Long process of collecting data end eliminating failure modes. If this works, I can say 100% for sure what the issue is. That's all I want - to know exactly what caused this gremlin.

I'll be the first to say DOH! I messed that up - better tell folks in case they don't know - no one told me ..... no need to hide stuff, its just a mechanical thing. It will do what mechanical things do.

Yeah that's the race track tool box - keep mixing my shop tools and race tools o_O One race I showed up without a 1/2" wench. Crew-chief was not pleased.

18. Higgy's Henry

Higgy's Henry

Dont be so hard on yourself my brother!! Your a trail blazer! An 'elephant' tamer!! And you have the best thread on here dude!

19. Was joking to Nick Smithberg - I'm writting an essay "How I spent my summer" :confused: tearing down and putting back together a race car o_O Started out at 6am for the swap meet at Commerce - only to get out of the house and away from race car work.

IMG_5678.JPG

Notice the fuel gauge - 1/2 tank! Its said that for 3 weeks - thing is getting really good mileage!!

IMG_5687.JPG
    Big line
    IMG_5698.JPG

IMG_5701.JPG

IMG_5702.JPG

IMG_5703.JPG
    As usual I find nothing but had a good time.
    IMG_5704.JPG

I did pick up an F1 front end for @Circus Bear
    IMG_5726.JPG
    Time to get back and work on the race car...... I got a half a tank ....
    IMG_5705.JPG IMG_5708.JPG

Club brother @Tudor is there in 10 minutes to save the day! Thanks man!

IMG_5718.JPG
    Top Speed Unknown !
    IMG_5719.JPG
    AND lucky for @Circus Bear @Tudor will be in his hood soon so - solved that.
    IMG_5709.JPG

20. My neighbor tried to figure out his drone - looks like he needs to learn a but about filming

21. Gammz

Gammz
    from Lincoln Ne

That's great!!!

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Dog_Patch, Hang'emHigh and loudbang like this.
  22. Circus Bear

Circus Bear

Thanks again for grabbing those parts guys. When do we see the smoke test?

Sent from my XT1650 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Dog_Patch, Hang'emHigh and loudbang like this.
  23. Rockin out with a sock out

24. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Looks like it took a bunch of choppin to pull that one off.

25. The US Mail lost the oil control jets that go inside the rocker stands. In a holding pattern at the moment.

He couldn't get the drone to record more than 15 seconds at a time. He was supposed to send it up and we were going to do 30 minutes of work putting in the engine and then edit that - all we got were some odd little pieces. Wanted to do a stationary time lapse - but who's got time for that :confused:

IMG_5727[1].JPG

Check the size of the 7/16" pushrods - the black one is stock size.
    IMG_5729[1].JPG

26. Tick Tock - Tick Tock !!

IMG_5735[1].JPG

27. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Those push rods should keep them from looking like a bass fiddle string at RPM.

loudbang, Dog_Patch and Higgy's Henry like this.
  28. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

The rocker stand oil control jets, you got more on the way? How are they configured, is it anything we can make in my lathe?

loudbang likes this.
  29. Good article re bearings in the new HOT ROD Mag.

402BOSSMAN, loudbang and Dog_Patch like this.
  30. Mike Colemire

Mike Colemire

Tic, Toc is right, I want to see this hot rod run at Clay City!

loudbang and Dog_Patch like this.