Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1932 Studebaker Rockne Build thread

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by KevinS, Jul 31, 2017.

1. KevinS

KevinS
    from Ohio

IMG_1739.JPG Well here we go. I am going to try and capture the upcoming build thread of our 32 Studebaker Rockne. I have had other threads in the past back in 2013 of the car and how it was finished at that time. The car has actually been in the family since 1968 and my brother and I grew up in this car before our father built a matching 32 Rockne sedan (see picture). My father was in the process of building the car before he passed away suddenly at age 51. After 13 years after his passing we finally completed it. It has now been done for close to 8 years and it is time to change it again. This time we are looking to bring it back to its original roots more to have a more traditional look while adding most, if not all, of its original trim, handles etc. back onto the car.

I will try to have this thread picture heavy to document it along the way. My only request is please keep any of your negative comments to yourself as I do not care what someone else would change on the car. If it is not your cup of tea then please move along.

My first post here will document some of the historical photos and shots from magazines that some may recall. I hope some of the old school guys on here remember my father and when the car went from black to the candy purple, which it was best known for. The car, as shown in pictures, IMG_1722.JPG IMG_1733.JPG IMG_1734.JPG IMG_1736.JPG IMG_1737.JPG IMG_1738.JPG IMG_1740.JPG was at the very first Street Rod Nationals in Peoria, IL. My father and friends are pictured laying by the car. One of the pictures shows the family when my brother and are were just kids. Now my boys are getting to enjoy the family car.

Stay tuned for updates as they progress. The goal is to have it done for the spring of 2019. Lo Man Rods in Tipp City, OH will again take charge of this new build. You can see their website and other pictures of the Rockne or my Willys build on there at http://www.lo-manrods.com/.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2018
  2. KevinS

KevinS
    from Ohio

Attached below are pictures of what the car looked like before we started blowing it apart the past two weeks. We went from the Billet Legacy wheels to the Dayton wires a few years back.

Attached Files:

3. elgringo71

elgringo71

Looking forward to the build. I remember the earlier thread and I always liked that car. You see very few Rockne Coupes and they have great lines.

4. KevinS

KevinS
    from Ohio

Last week I ripped out all the interior since we will have a color change inside and out. All the polished aluminum will be replaced with traditional Rockne handles and traditional pieces to reflect the period better.

Attached Files:

5. KevinS

KevinS
    from Ohio

IMG_1729.JPG IMG_1728.JPG IMG_1725.JPG IMG_1724.JPG IMG_1723.JPG IMG_1711.JPG IMG_1710.JPG Last update as I am caught up now to today. The car is disassembled and off to be dipped and stripped. I hope to have it in bare metal and returned next week to Lo Man Rods shop to begin the many changes that will be made.

6. paul55

paul55
    from michigan

As a second generation rodder, I remember both cars and have seen the coupe in person, when it was purple, back in the 70's. Dad had early Chevys, and we always thought your dad's car was one of the nicest around. I was a little disappointed with your current build, as I was hoping it would have been kept closer to his build. Don't get me wrong, it's beautiful as it is, but I'm excited to see what you have planned! You could just leave it black, like it was at the first Nats, and go in that direction. It was black first wasn't it? Awesome car no matter what you do.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2017
  7. hdman6465

hdman6465
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I remember the car and your father very well. It seems like yesterday it was at Lesourdsville Lake by the front gate at the annual car shows. It may have been longer than that LOL. It it comes out half as nice as your last version, it will be a sight to see. Best of luck,keep us informed, and take LOTS of pictures for us slow ones.

8. KevinS

KevinS
    from Ohio

A lot of what was done on the last build was what my father had bought for it. The other issue was over a long period of building the car, 13 years, trends etc. changed a lot. Unfortunately with a budget, we tried to use as much as we could that we had our hands on. It was started and stopped multiple times.

9. KevinS

KevinS
    from Ohio

As a kid, I loved going to Lesourdesville Lake or Americana which I remember it more by. I especially remember being at the show and going to a lot of car shows around the area with my father to invite cars to the event. He loved all the people that helped put it on and the people that attended. I can still picture him talking with everyone and handing out the awards.

I too like a lot of pictures for they tend to do the talking more than the words I can express.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2017
  10. paul55

paul55
    from michigan

No explanations necessary, I understand! His early version just takes me back to when I was growing up in the 60's/70's and all those rod runs and Nats we went to. I'm sure it will be awesome, just as it was the last time you did it!

11. Subscribed,beautiful coupe.

12. Peanut 1959

Peanut 1959

Can't believe this car could get any better, but I'm willing to tag along as you convince me. Subscribed!

nunattax likes this.
  13. aircap

aircap

Looking forward to seeing the completed Rockne!

14. nrgwizard

nrgwizard
    from Minn. uSA

Glad to see this is still alive, well, & being taken care of. Hope it will hit the Stude events, esp the Nats when they are back in South Bend. Held there every 5 years, this being one of them.
    Marcus...

Peanut 1959 likes this.
  15. catdad49

catdad49

When I saw the thread title, I thought back to the pics in my head of your Dad's coupe. What a Pretty car! Thanks for sharing this, I'll be watching.

16. KevinS

KevinS
    from Ohio

Some subtle changes to the car, and changes coming, that not many people ever notice are:

- Curved glass for the windshield - changing back to the original frame with some mods
    - Widened rear fenders and also raised rear fender to blend in with the rear panel of the body
    - Widened running boards - will add rubber back to them. Tired of foot prints on them.
    - Splash apron fastened from underneath and no longer visible from the top
    - Grill shell was widened and angled for a better proportion - will be adding the Flying R and trim back on the hood
    - 3 Piece hood - we will be going back with the original hood sides as shown in picture
    - 34 Ford Headlights with with mounts molded to fender - looking for original Rockne headlights to put back on
    - Ford tailights shortened and molded together - looking for Rockne tailights to put back on
    - Doors and deck lid shaved - looking for original Rockne door and deck lid handles to replace
    - Filled roof - may put cloth insert back in
    - Bumpers removed and holes filled - looking for original Rockne bumpers to put back on
    - LT1 engine being replaced - looking for something wild/different with a Studebaker engine. Stay tuned for updates.

IMG_1086.JPG IMG_1087.JPG IMG_1103.JPG

exterminator likes this.
  17. Rustridden31

Rustridden31
    from Denver, CO

That thing was perfect already, I'm eager to see how it turns out!

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

nunattax likes this.
  18. paul55

paul55
    from michigan

Putting the polished 5-spokes back on ?

19. KevinS

KevinS
    from Ohio

No. Keeping the wires at this time but will change the colors them. The car will sit low still and not gasser style. I want it to be traditional and classic. Less hot rod. My 41 Willys was pure hot rod.

20. abner36

abner36

Subscribed !!! You had me at Rockne !! when I was 10 (39 now ) we were on vacation in Spokane WA and while getting gas at one of our stops dad throws a auto trader in the back of the van for me to look through we made it a block when I said hey there is a 32 Studebaker Rockne in here for sale he pulled over, looked the ad over then we looked for a pay phone called and went to look they had a 4door sedan for sale and a coupe sitting in the garage with it we spend the afternoon there while dad tried to convince them to sell the couple they wouldn't but we did buy the sedan had some good memories in that car now it sits in the middle of a front suspension upgrade got get him to finish it!! cant wait to see yours finished !!

21. KevinS

KevinS
    from Ohio

Car is back from being dipped. This time, it will be again taken to the next level by Lo Man Rods in Tipp City, OH. All the old lead was and will continued to be taken out and seams will not just be filled. All new metal will be done. It begins this week and any bad spot will be replaced and metal worked. Scary to see how much lead was in all the seams and how many seams there were on the car. We are also replacing the current floor. This time, everything under the car will be slick as the top. The roof insert will be taken out and replaced with a cloth top that is flush with the body. We have some big goals for the car. Stay tuned with updated progress photos and details in the weeks and months to come.

IMG_1757.JPG IMG_1759.JPG IMG_1765.JPG IMG_1766.JPG IMG_1770.JPG IMG_1771.JPG

Stogy, mgtstumpy, koolkemp and 2 others like this.
  22. aircap

aircap

Good luck with it, and have fun!

23. KevinS

KevinS
    from Ohio

Metal work has begun. The lead is basically out of the car now. Anywhere there was lead, body seams etc. it will be replaced with new metal. The cowl is being replaced as shown due to it being rough. More metalwork pictures will continue to follow as updates are done on the car.

IMG_1796.JPG IMG_1799.JPG IMG_1800.JPG IMG_1801.JPG IMG_1802.JPG IMG_1804.JPG IMG_1805.JPG

Stogy, mgtstumpy and catdad49 like this.
  24. catdad49

catdad49

I have always admired this car, the Purple version is permanently implanted in my brain! I Know you will do a great job, Carp

25. KevinS

KevinS
    from Ohio

The LT1 that was in the car will now be replaced with a Studebaker engine with all the right parts and some extra special fabbed parts. We will not just have one supercharger but two. The shop will have to make our front brackets for mounting both superchargers and some other cool things are in store for it. Can't wait to see the finished product and all the shiny stuff in the end.

IMG_1811.JPG IMG_1810.JPG IMG_1809.JPG IMG_1808.JPG

slim38, Stogy, mgtstumpy and 2 others like this.
  26. catdad49

catdad49

Avantis with a supercharger were an R-2, so with two this would be an R-4! Just researched this and found that a dual blown and fuel injection engine was available making more than 500hp (R-5). I have never heard of this or a couple other engine options, but they must be ultra rare. This is getting better by the post, is there a time frame you're shooting for?

Stogy likes this.
  27. dan c

dan c
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

very nice. love that you're using the "steady-breaker" engine. may i suggest a name for it? "ka-noot"!

28. KevinS

KevinS
    from Ohio

We met with the engine builder yesterday. We will have all the good parts including forged pistons and rods. We will move the alternator to the bottom of the engine and have both superchargers up top on each side. Lo Man Rods will be making the front engine plate to hold both superchargers along with a trick set up going to the dual fours. We will maintain the 700r4 transmission in the car.

Even though the car was slick when we blew it apart we are going above and beyond this time. Our goal is to have it completed by the spring of 2019. However, I will not cut corners to push for a date. If it takes longer then I will have to live with it. We have some pretty big goals for the car but I will not go into them at this time.

Stogy, kidcampbell71 and catdad49 like this.
  29. aircap

aircap

Should have plenty of scoot.

30. Jeff Rice (Deep-N-Hawk) has made several 2 X 4 intakes for Studebaker. you might try him to see if he has one on the shelf. What machine shop are you having do the work on it. I just dropped mine of at Auto Machine in StCharles IL.