Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Painted my car - first time - satin

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by cederholm, Jul 26, 2017.

1. Looks awesome dude!

cederholm likes this.
  2. As they say here in East T.N. You have done NICE son. Bruce.

czuch and cederholm like this.
  3. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Good for you! I'll bet it's one of the most rewarding car gigs you've had in a while, right? I think it looks great and almost too much fun to be legal.

cederholm likes this.
  4. southcross2631

southcross2631

I always heard satin paint jobs are so you can't see the body work. It looks good for the first effort.

cederholm likes this.
  5. cederholm

cederholm

Boy I wish that were true. My experience is that it shows just as much as gloss. The difference being that a mistake in gloss can often be buffed out. In satin, and mistake in the clear need to be sanded down and the panel repainted. ...ask me know I know. :eek:

~ Carl

6. AlkyWagon

AlkyWagon

Great Job!

cederholm likes this.
  7. southcross2631

southcross2631

What I meant was you can't buff out bad body work, not a mistake in the paint. People don't want to spend endless hours getting every panel arrow straight so the satin paint it and it hides a lot of flaws.
    the car looks good though.
    I did a 35 Ford last year that was brought to me in satin black and he wanted a gloss yellow paint job. Over 200 hours of bodywork and welding got all the bondo and bad body work out.

cederholm likes this.
  8. cederholm

cederholm

Ah, gotcha! Good to know. Thanks! Got a pic of that Ford?

9. southcross2631

southcross2631

Here it is before and after. 2014-03-24 14.23.28.jpg 2014-08-27 13.32.53-1.jpg

cederholm likes this.
  10. cederholm

cederholm

11. luckythirteenagogo

luckythirteenagogo
    from Selma, NC

It looks great. The first one isn't a the hardest. After that the nerves are relaxed and it goes on without even thinking about it.

Sent from my SM-G920V using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

cederholm likes this.
  12. oneratfink57

oneratfink57
    from Wisconsin

Looks awesome! What did you use for paint

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

cederholm likes this.
  13. So many things right about your ride: its a 6 with 3 carbs and nice cast exhaust for that Chev 6 rap...... my first hot rod was a GMC 302 done up as far as I could afford it, which many that it was a 283 Eater in my 50 Torpedo back.
    Also that you painted it yourself in your style to make you happy. Mine is Tremclad shot in a 7' basement so go with what you got.

cederholm likes this.
  14. Mike Colemire

Mike Colemire

It looks really nice. The pin striping really sets it off. I'm also curious, what paint did you use?

cederholm likes this.
  15. cederholm

cederholm

Thanks everyone! I have a few more pics that I'll post tonight.

I bought all my paint from TCP Global. The colors are Urethane Base from their restoration shop line. I've used this line on other projects and found it to be very forgiving. The aqua for the base of the roof was just selected from their ready-made line. I learned later that aqua was to light a color to flake and took a LOT of flake to cover. Lesson one! The dark green also came from their restoration shop as the stock green for the car. I always like that green and thought Chevy got it right in the first place. Hard to beat stock for trying to stay traditional. Plus it kept me from having to respray the inside of the trunk and door jams.

The clears, both gloss and satin, came from their Hot Rod line. When I stared shooting the satin I had terrible orange peel due to a my mixture being off and the paint to think for my gun. I left it to cure and brought it down with some 500 grit paper and re-shot it. I was a little worried but it came out okay. When seen in person you can see my mistakes, but it's meant to be a runner and a place for me to learn so I'm pleased with the results.

My buddy was a little rusty on the lines, he hadn't painted in a while, but I'm very pleased with his work - rusty and all!
    I'm also very excited about the positive reaction this is getting from you guys, as you all know what it takes on these types of projects.

~ Carl

16. Gearhead Graphics

Gearhead Graphics
    from Denver Co

The most important part is that it looks better than when you started, and you accomplished that. No sense in bragging about "patina" when you can have it be one solid color and looking good.

I shot my first full car last fall/spring. everything, engine bay, interior, jambs, bed, all of it. Man did I learn a lot! 99% of those who see mine think its great, I see all the flaws because I spent so many hours doing it. Were our own worst critic

1959Nomad, czuch and cederholm like this.
  17. A Boner

A Boner

I'm guessing that it would be easier to spray a glossy paint. Glossy paint has the advantage of a cut and polish job to improve the finish. With semi-gloss what you spray is what you get.....with no way to "improve" things!

18. cederholm

cederholm

Some more pics as I put the trim back on for those who asked. Not the best pics, but still.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. czuch

czuch
    from vail az

Looks right and tight to me.
    In always had a fear of the paint guns I've had for 30 years.

cederholm likes this.
  20. czuch

czuch
    from vail az

Sounds worse now that its out there.
    30 years,,LAME.

cederholm likes this.