Register now to get rid of these ads!

History SUNDAY SUNDAY at Aquasco Speedway

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by schwinn1, Feb 21, 2009.

1. tom bowler

tom bowler

Bet a lot of people one here are not aware of stock car tracks in the Wash, Balt area years ago, Starting with Pamunkey Md. where Bill Francis of Nascar raced when he lived in the area, Upper Malboro was a big sports car and stock car track, Lanham was 1/4 asphalt, Beltsville was 1/2 mile asphalt,, Westport in east Balt, Dorsey south of Balt., Hybla valley in northern Va. and of course trailways in Littlestown Pa. and Lincoln in Hanover Pa. last two are still operating. Mannasas Va had grass drag strip as well as a stock car track. I met grumpy Jenkins there in 52/53 He had a green 38 Chevy chassis he was racing.

2. tom bowler

tom bowler

Not for the money I got for it

lothiandon1940 and Bowtie Coupe like this.
  3. ...........Pomonkey was closed by the time I came to this area in 1962, as well as Lanham. I spent countless Friday evenings at Beltsville before it went away. I went to Upper Marlboro once for a SCCA event and made it to Dorsey during its' last year of operation. Thanks for checking in and posting on this thread, Tom......................Don.

4. canning

canning

I noticed in a previous post you mentioned Tappahanock. Was there much to that track? I have never met anyone in Essex county that even remembered there being a dragstrip. When the John Deere dealer used to be at the airport, I would stop for parts and wondered how it was laid out.

lothiandon1940 and Bowtie Coupe like this.
  5. tom bowler

tom bowler

Good God. That was about 60 years ago. As I remember the town made an airstrip available once on Sunday for drags. I do remember for some reason we made it to the Md side of the Morgantown bridge on Sat. nite and for some reason slept on the grass at an old gas station that nite?? We also ran one time at the Fre4drick Md. airport in 1956. We did a lot of things that really made no sense today. One of the tow/push cars we used was a 1950 Cadillac limo. lowered in the front with side pipes, painted sierria gold, old embassy car.

6. Great stuff, Tom! Some of my fondest memories from traveling in the "pre-McDonalds days" include eating pork and beans from the can at those roadside pull-offs and maybe catching a quick snooze on one of those picnic tables that one might find there.

7. There was always one of these in the glove box.:D 1863_1.jpg

8. ......and hopefully one of these as well. Kitchen-Classic-Can-Opener.jpg

9. Sorry, now back to memories of Aquasco.:D:rolleyes:

Bowtie Coupe and lothianwilly71 like this.
  10. tom bowler

tom bowler

I got a lighted GUNTHER BEER sign in my garage. You sound like you were around in those times. Where in Md. you live now. A lot of my memories are about what we did with cars in those day other than racing them.

11. tom bowler

tom bowler

Figured as much, Spent a lot of time in that area. Ever been to Pauls Resturant in Riva, east end of bridge. We had a farm in PG County on Enterprise rd. To many people there for me now.

12. ................Surely know Paul's and Mike's on the South River in Riva. I think Paul's changed hands a few yrs. back, can't remember the new name. Mike's is still there in operation. Know the Enterprise Rd./ Seabrook/ Glenn Dale area very well and yes all of PG County has changed a lot over the years. I'm sure you recall all of the "urban legends" like the PG County Goatman, Cry Baby Bridge in Davidsonville and the infamous "Hook" who would haunt young lovers parked in isolated areas like Fletchertown Road.:D

13. tom bowler

tom bowler

Buddy Beavers who ran Stricks Automotive lived in Riva, then moved to Riverdale , then to Florida in the 60,s Bill Stronoff????? who we called NUTT and drove the Stricks roadster, His father owned Pauls or a least that's what I remember(I think)

14. Nice job, quick85

quick85 and lothianwilly71 like this.
  15. quick85

quick85
    BANNED

Thanks very much.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  16. I sure have no problem. look good. However, did you just turn them into FAKE NEWS?:p

Last edited: Mar 10, 2017
    lothiandon1940 likes this.
  17. LadyJay

LadyJay

Swartz Brothers Speed Shop was owned by my Dad :)

18. .......................Well, Don't leave us hangin' like that.:D;).......Tell us stories and pictures are always appreciated...................Don.:)

19. mike bowling

mike bowling

Around her it was "Sundaaaaaaaaaaaaaay!!!! at Beautiful New England Dragway!!
    ( after Sanford Airport stopped running and Epping opened in 1966)
    These original posters were a gift from Jere Sheehan, President of the "Cam Snappers" CC of Newburyport, Mass.
    DSCN1629.JPG DSCN1630.JPG

20. Any more Aquasco pictures or stories? Please post 'em up.:D

lothianwilly71 likes this.
  21. tom bowler

tom bowler

Sorry to let you know, but Dave Reitz died 7/15/17, real bummer.

22. buds56

buds56

Here's one of Max Sterling's 61 Pontiac white lightning 61 pontiac.jpg

23. .....................Thanks for taking the time to post on this thread. Hope you can post more photos and memories.:)

24. 0ldracer

0ldracer

25. Anyone have any Aquasco memorabilia they would like to sell?