Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods On My Butt!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Blown35, Jul 30, 2017.

1. Blown35

Blown35

Took the 39 Coupe to a nice local show - perfect weather ... and light Sunday traffic! But... I could not help but notice - when I came to a stop sign or traffic light ... all on inclines - the modern cars crawled right up to my bumper - every time - must have been 12 inches! Makes for some very precise foot work on the clutch and gas to ensure not an inch rollback ... I even used my hand brake because as soon as the light changed they were rolling forward before I even released the clutch! - I know this is pure ignorance on their part - automatic drivers - particularly those that don' t know what a manual trans even is - have no clue! Annoying to say the least ... there I said it ... now I'm all calm again .. thanks for listening!
    39Frontquarter.jpg Caddy!.jpg

2. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

You must be VERY well mannered.

Kustom.Falcon likes this.
  3. 64 DODGE 440

64 DODGE 440
    from so cal

Have the same problem with my off topic 2006 Dodge Cummins 4x4 with the 6 speed manual. The idiots pull up so close you can't see them over the top of the tailgate.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Kustom.Falcon, mad mikey and Montana1 like this.
  4. partsdawg

partsdawg
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Minnesota

Old school style push bar on the back would solve it.
    Make it removeable.

5. I like you car!!

Put a bumper sticker on your rear bumper that reads "My hot exhaust will melt you cheap plastic grill"

6. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

hook up flame throwers to exhaust that come on with your brakes - what are you running for tail lights?

7. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

At last, a good use for flamethrowers :)

jim32, F&J, Kustom.Falcon and 14 others like this.
  8. I hate the "ride the clutch dance" when idiots pull right up to your bumper,they really don't have a clue when it comes to driving old cars,especially with straight drive transmissions that tend to roll a little when starting off on a hill.

The only thing the tailgater is interested in is,cute cat videos on their dammed cell phones!,Now I'm Pissed! :rolleyes: HRP

9. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

Same with the IDIOT that pull right in front of you and throw a rock into your new paint!

Kustom.Falcon, KoolKat-57 and CGkidd like this.
  10. GordonC

GordonC
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I used to drive a F700 flatbed ramp truck that had a long back end on it. I pulled up one time and stopped on the side of the road and put my turn signal on so I could back in a driveway to get the car I was picking up. A guy in a 80's Toyota Celica pulls up so close to me I cannot see him in either of my mirrors. I knew he was there though when the back end of the lift ramp started peeling the roof off his car about the same time my rear tires were trying to climb up over the driver side fender! Scared me all to hell! :eek: I imagine it freaked him out pretty good too! Interestingly enough he and his buddy didn't want the cops called as they had open alcohol containers in the car. They drove off with the center part of the roof sticking up about a foot and the center of the windshield at the top broken out.

hendelec, 49ratfink, Gotgas and 14 others like this.
  11. KoolKat-57

KoolKat-57
    from Dublin, OH

Unfortunately you live in CT, where I moved from 16 years ago.
    On the coastline they referred to stop signs as "glance and goes" or merely a suggestion!
    I found the same thing every time I took
    '57 stick shift Pontiac out, I'm doing 10 or 15 over the speed limit and they're on my bumper, make a full stop at a stop sign or yellow light and wait for the crash!
    I came to the conclusion that my fellow "Nutmeggers" don't
    care where they were in the line of traffic as long as they are ahead of you!
    I feel for you "Brother", but you're dealing with self centered people who don't care how they spoil your day!
    World is changing, and not for the better!
    KK

12. topher5150

topher5150

in Michigan if you get rear ended it's their fault

Kustom.Falcon and belair like this.
  13. Two of my least-favorite (and most-consistent) GA driver practices (been here 13 years now, and I've never grown accustomed to them) are:

1) when you're clipping along, whatever the speed limit is, and someone pulls out of a driveway/side street RIGHT IN FRONT OF YOU and slowly gets up to 10-15 below the limit, and there was NO ONE BEHIND YOU!!!

AND

2) you're clipping along again on the highway this time, and some goober zipps up past you on the left, pulls over right in front you and SLOWS DOWN TO USE THE EXIT RAMP, and yet again, there was NO ONE BEHIND YOU!!!

Xman, HunterYJ, LBCD and 9 others like this.
  14. 2935ford

2935ford

Even if you roll back into them?

15. 2935ford

2935ford

But.....in their mind....they are ahead of you and that's all that matters!

rodncustomdreams likes this.
  16. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Still a pain in the ass. You've got to deal with insurance and that bull shit, plus they may not have insurance. YOUR rates will go up. And.... your car is screwed! That's not a win situation for anyone.

17. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

If can I pull over and let them go, but when I'm tired of them tailgating at the next light when it turns green after a stop. I put the emergency brake on, put it in park, get out and raise the hood. It's funny cause they are so close they can't go around.....after they do I get back and continue on my way. Retired makes you not be in a hurry for much.

18. Hombre

Hombre
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

What is up with this tailgating thing? Before I moved home to the South ,Was stationed in California for a few years before I retired, I thought it was those folks there that were so bad. Here in Alabama I live 40 miles from the nearest interstate. Most of my driving is done on country roads. I will be coming home on a two lane country road and these clowns are right on my bumper. It has gotten so bad I just find a wide spot and let them go. A mile down the road there is another one right on my ass. I usually drive 5 miles over the speed limit sometimes ten, doesn't seem to bother them in the least. I am going to start brake checking these idiots, hell that probably won't work either and start a road rage thing.

If someone has a clue about a remedy I am all ears...

19. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Better be packin.......they are

20. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

I would say its worse now! Went to a cruze in NY [from CT] Wednesday night by way of two lane road [202/6]..If we are comfortable with the road we will go 10 to 15 mph over the posted limit, just to not have the locals cursing at us but it still isn't fast enough most times as we will end leading a train of cars...Came home via 301 [ny] and then 84 into CT...On 84 at 70 mph we were getting passed, at 80 still getting passed, at 85 I passed a tour bus at the bottom of a hill..I creeped by him and was able to pull in front on the oncoming hill as he slowed..Was able to slow to 75 but I bet I got passed way more than I passed..75 is the new 65 I guess.. On hills I got used to the close pull ups behind me but sometimes taking more time to pull away just to piss them off is warranted and amusing to me...Most times if the hill is not too steep just before the light will change I let the clutch out till it is holding the car on the hill and can take my foot off the brake and onto the gas pedal ready for take off, timing is everything, being coordinated helps..But I have line loc so I use it on steeper hills; it cuts out my having to be real coordinated and keeps the brake lights on till released and on my way..!!

clunker, pat59 and KoolKat-57 like this.
  21. Engine man

Engine man
    from Wisconsin

I've had people drive within 2 feet of my bumper at 75 mph on the interstate when the left lane is wide open. It's stupid to pull up so close at a stop light or sign. If the vehicle ahead has a problem they can't get around it.
    [​IMG]

22. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Unfortunately, all you can really do is bite your lip and let them pass, when you can. Yea, it takes a LOT to do that. I used to be one of those people who would short stop, get out and ask them, "What the fu*ks your problem?". But in the last few years, in Houston, people get shot for much less. It's not a matter of being "punked out, it's a matter of staying alive. My dad used to say, "You never know what kind of bad day that person might have had and there YOU are."

The person could & will shoot you and claim you were being crazy and violent. The person alive can tell any story they want and a LOT of drivers here have a gun permit. People ask me all the time, "Why do you speed so much?" My answer, "To keep the fu*kers WAY behind me."

23. Engine man

Engine man
    from Wisconsin

On my way to work there was a place where a large percentage of the vehicles would take the off ramp when I was going straight through. Instead of staying in the right lane, they would try to pass me just before the exit. I enjoyed staying just alongside so they had to go by the exit.

24. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

As mentioned above, a line-loc comes in very handy for that situation. As for the licensed idiots we share the road with, I'm glad I live in Wyoming. They are all still idiots, but fewer in number.

25. joeycarpunk

joeycarpunk
    from MN,USA

They watch too much NASCAR and think they're drafting?

LWEL9226, Montana1 and Hombre like this.
  26. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'd have to believe that is a universal thing. Both happen to me all the time and on a road trip through ten states it happened in every state.
    I pull a 21 Ft sailboat with my 1 ton dualie flatbed and the number of cars that buzz ahead and then pull in right in front of me boggles the mind. I've had them tailgate the boat trailer to the point they were almost under the back of the boat because they can see around the keel of the boat easily. What they don't know is that boat keel is filled with a thousand pounds of concrete and shaped like a splitting maul.

Kustom.Falcon likes this.
  27. jetnow1

jetnow1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from CT
    1. A-D Truckers

I have found a big trailer hitch sticking out helps a little, especially when they do hit. I have been hit
    twice in the last 5 years, both times by range rovers, the last one hit my hitch and it did a fair amount
    of damage to his front, nothing to my rear. 'Don't get me started on the idiots on cell phones, I even see
    police on cell phones driving.

rjones35, Bandit Billy and Hnstray like this.
  28. BadgeZ28

BadgeZ28
    from Oregon

I also use a line lock. Makes it easier especially on hills.

29. Not likely- most of the tailgaters are female, about 20, and heading to the local college with their cell phones right in front of their faces...

30. rhtfo

rhtfo

Back in my Harley riding days, a couple of buddies of mine had some tricks ( you believe someone would actually tailgate a motorcycle that close, but they did). One kept marbles in his vest / jacket, pop one or two over his shoulder, man, you talk about a tailgater getting on the brakes ! The other one had a little squeeze bottle with some concoction in it (I can't remember what it was) that would smear a windshield, but not make it where you couldn't see out it (windshield washer solvent cleaned off most, but not all of it). That backed em off too.

Sent from my SM-N910V using The H.A.M.B. mobile app