Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Glued

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by coilover, Jul 29, 2017.

1. coilover

coilover
    from Texas

A 1930A Tudor done with Panel Bond rather than welding. Top insert, cowl bottoms, 1/4 bottoms, steel floor, all glued. If it's good enough for super sonic planes and to hold door hinges on Chevy pickups for the last 25 years it should work on rods. Cut build time by probably close to half. Zero warping, and lap joints are dirt and moisture proof if done right.

IMG_4335.JPG IMG_4336.JPG

2. i.rant

i.rant
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. 1940 Ford

Any photos of the procedures? Good looking car.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  3. NielsK

NielsK
    from Denmark

4. Looks good with filler and paint. Sure would like to see the method.

5. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

6. Car looks nice but I just don't know if I could live with it being glued together. Yes more info would be great.

7. :DOk, I'll say it not "traditional":D

8. hotrodharry2

hotrodharry2
    from Michigan

I have to agree with others. Like you said "If they use it on our truck doors, it's good enough for me. However we have to readjust our thinking. Nice Car by the way! lol

9. Dino 64

Dino 64
    from Virginia

I just finished replacing the drip rail on my A coupe with panel adhesive. Sets up like stone. Don't want to hijack this thread but I realize now I could have done all my panel replacements with it instead of welding. I used 3m 08115. Amazing stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

Fern 54, loudbang and lothiandon1940 like this.
  10. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

3M 8115 is what the bodyshop at work uses. Good stuff.

lothiandon1940 and Dino 64 like this.
  11. Gman0046

Gman0046

Panel bonding has been done on aircraft for years, Why not cars?

loudbang and lothiandon1940 like this.
  12. roundvalley

roundvalley

Says it will work on plastic. Tried to glue some upholstery panel clips to a plastic backer board. Did not work. Be careful with some types of plastic.

13. mr.chevrolet

mr.chevrolet

a friend glued some quarter patches on for me.

Attached Files:

loudbang, crminal and lothiandon1940 like this.
  14. ............Yes, more info (and pictures) please.

lothianwilly71 and Dino 64 like this.
  15. larry k

larry k

3M 8115 is a very good bonding glue for steel & aluminum . that said it shrinks pretty bad, so when you bond a panel that does not go to the edge it will shrink and show a line where the panel stops. Takes about 3 to 4 weeks for it to show . but it will show up ,, even with plastic over the top . It is made for full panels only where the factory spot welds were . don't ask me how I know this ...

loudbang, Bugguts and lothiandon1940 like this.
  16. I have an older brother that bonded panels in his body shop back in the 80's. I wish I had tried it years ago.

17. Dino 64

Dino 64
    from Virginia

IMG_3463.JPG IMG_3468.JPG IMG_3469.JPG IMG_3470.JPG IMG_3471.JPG IMG_3414.JPG IMG_3400.JPG Here's what Is looks like. Really well thought out design. Super caulk gun necessary as well as the mixing tip. The tip looks like tiny maze inside, mixes the epoxy. Butter it on both sides and clamp. It has micro glass beads in it to create the perfect gap between surfaces. Wipe squeeze out with a wet rag. 24 hour full cure. A couple of shots of my drip rail repair.
    Hope this helps. 3m doesn't recommend for structural parts.

Just Gary, loudbang, crminal and 2 others like this.
  18. fms427

fms427

Bonded in new trunk metal on my Riviera with 3M. Worked great. Did not miss welding on old rusty, undercoated base metal - lungs appreciated it !!

Sent from my iPad using H.A.M.B.

19. I just used the 3m 8115 to attach my hood scoop, very strong stuff. I also have a tube of the 8116, which is a little weaker than the 8115.

20. Sounds good to me... Technology/tradition marches on and waits for no one.

loudbang likes this.
  21. 32v

32v
    from v.i.

the trouble with lap joints is they tend to show up in the hot sun , they go away when it cools but come back every time in the sun

belair likes this.
  22. I think you'll find that the door hinges are in fact welded to the doors and hinge pillars. What you're seeing as glue is probably some kind of seam sealer around the perimeter of the hinge to prevent water intrusion between the hinge and panel.

john worden and clunker like this.
  23. donno

donno

O.T, but I had a gash in the side of my 5th wheel from a sharp object. (highway debris) Cut out the bad part, cut oversize backing plate from 20-20 T 3, 032". Smeared edges with 8115, couple of pop rivets to secure while bonding. Cut another piece to fill the damage. Glued it, when dry we ground the heads off the rivets, skim coat of filler, primed and painted. Works good.

loudbang likes this.
  24. metalman

metalman

I've used panel glue before when doing a whole panel replacement, works well for what I use it for which is what was said above, places that are normally spot welded. I put a roof panel on an ot 67 Camaro while back, sure beat spot welding the roof to the drip rails. Don't think I'd ever use it for a patch panel or something, anytime you have a lapped edge in the middle of what will be a painted panel you run a risk of it showing up in the sun since 2 layers are going to expand different then 1 when it warms up. Same reason I will only butt weld patch panels.

teefan likes this.
  25. Flathead Dave

Flathead Dave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from So. Cal.

Begins bonding at the 12:12 mark

26. Flathead Dave

Flathead Dave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from So. Cal.

27. Model A Gomez

Model A Gomez

A friend taught an Autobody class at our local Junior College and talked me into using panel glue. I glued a late model bed floor into the bed on my 30 A Pickup 17 years ago, it sits outside and has been a daily driver hauling parts and trash. The bed is starting to rust where the bottom side rail mounts to the outside of the box but no problems with the floor.

loudbang likes this.
  28. 5window

5window

Well, with spot welds, you can get it apart if you need to, but how do you get this stuff apart?

Montana1 likes this.
  29. We put a metal top in a Chevy coupe and used adhesive for the ribs,it was a mistake,it drew the top in and resulted in a visual line across the top.

We ended up getting inside the car with a piano string and cutting the bonding agent free.

Maybe had we used wood overhead instead of metal we wouldn't have had a problem. HRP

Montana1 likes this.
  30. Ive build hundreds of scale model hot rods, so why does this seem wrong to me?
    Guess im to old fashioned. Id have a hard time trusting glued parts, but I can change. Ive flown in enough aircraft.

46international likes this.