Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Wanted Dzus Fasteners

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 1965CHPCSP, Jul 27, 2017.

1. 1965CHPCSP

1965CHPCSP

Does anyone know or have a lead on where I can locate old style Dzus Fasteners? I've attached photos of the ones I need. They aren't the barrel ones but the ones with ears.
    I have searched high and low with no results.thanks for your help. [​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

kidcampbell71 and chryslerfan55 like this.
  2. AZbent

AZbent

3. McMaster-Carr

4. Air Parts in Kansas City, Kansas. I am not far off if you want me to jaunt over there. I need to price some aluminum anyway.

badvolvo and 302GMC like this.

5. 1965CHPCSP

1965CHPCSP

I really appreciate the offer. I looked at their website and couldn't locate any Fasteners like the ones I need.
    Thanks Again.

6. 1965CHPCSP

1965CHPCSP

Tried the old reliable McMaster Carr...no go.
    Thanks for response!

7. 1965CHPCSP

1965CHPCSP

Never heard of them but they have a ton of different Dzus style Fasteners on their website. Will call them and see what they have.
    I appreciate the lead and response.
    Thanks.

8. OK then I won't check if you don't want me too. :D

9. 1965CHPCSP

1965CHPCSP

Sure, that would be great. if you are there and show them the pictures that would be much appreciated. If they do have them, would you get the part number for me so I can order them.? Their website didn't show much so wasn't sure.
    Thanks Again for your help.
    Mike

10. $um Fun

$um Fun
    from Nor Cal

Those look like 1/4 turn cam locks with the big head.

warbird1 and 1965CHPCSP like this.
  11. They keep lots of antiquated stuff for restorations in the store. I have an antique painters mask hanging on my shop wall that I found there hanging on the wall in the back room. That is where all the really cool stuff is.

badvolvo and 1965CHPCSP like this.
  12. AZbent

AZbent

Don't forget to calculate the thickness of all the material to be secured, then you can order the correct size.

Sent from my SM-T350 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

1965CHPCSP likes this.
  13. 1965CHPCSP

1965CHPCSP

Thanks!

14. 1965CHPCSP

1965CHPCSP

Thanks for helping out.

15. rooman

rooman

Did you try calling Scovill themselves. It looks like they partnered with someone else (Zakodiakin) on what you are looking for but they obviously had an involvment. And remember Dzus is a brand name not a noun to describe 1/4 turn fasteners (although many treat it that way like Lexan for poly carbonate or Naugahyde for vinyl)

Scovill Fasteners • 1802 Scovill Drive • Clarkesville, GA, 30523 • USA • 706-754-1000.

Roo

1965CHPCSP and Frankie47 like this.
  16. 37gas

37gas

I think they are called cam loc I also thing that they are a sprint car item

1965CHPCSP likes this.
  17. they were originally designed for aircraft use in the 1930's by William Dzus. they are a qurater trun fastener by definition. Other brands include Camloc and Airloc. The first use in a rae car was when Ed Justice Sr. while working at Kurtis-Kraft in Glendale, California. It was at the suggestion of Ed who was an A&E at Douglas Aircraft prior to World War II and had graduated from Fry Aircraft School in Kansas City, Kansas. The car the Dzus fasteners were installed upon was "Bullet" Joe Garson's Kurtis-Kraft midget. This was done while the shop owner Frank Kurtis was out of town. At first he was not happy with their alteration to his design, but later realize the benefit of using Dzus fasteners.
    I don't think Dzus ever made the style you are looking for, but I think Camloc does.
    A side note - I think the grandson of William Dzus is a member here

18. 64 DODGE 440

64 DODGE 440
    from so cal

Don't know if Aircraft Spruce http://www.aircraftspruce.com/categories/aircraft_parts/ap/menus/ha/fast.html will have any like the one in your picture, but I can say that from back in my A&P days working on old aircraft they were always good on their service. There probably are some vintage aircraft parts suppliers out there who may have what you are looking for, but if you aren't trying for a 100% restoration you can probably get regular Dzus fasteners that will match the external appearance and 99.9% of the people won't know the difference.

1965CHPCSP likes this.
  19. rooman

rooman

Camlocs are a whole 'nother critter. They have a small head and use an integrated receptacle/washer in the panel being mounted as well as one in the area where it is to be attached (panel/bracket etc). Although they may be used on some sprint cars the more common application is aircraft and Indy car/ road race cars. They are a little small and fussy for sprint car use.
    https://www.google.com/search?q=cam...qqrVAhXLVD4KHQVdAXoQ_AUICygC&biw=1360&bih=638

Roo

Speedwrench, warbird1 and 1965CHPCSP like this.
  20. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

21. 64 DODGE 440

64 DODGE 440
    from so cal

Personally from experience with camlocs and southco fasteners on aircraft they are a painintheass. Dzus are far superior and have better vibration resistance.

warbird1 likes this.
  22. I was just searching through Southco's site a couple days ago trying to find info about some Southco 1/4 turn fasteners I picked up at a local swap meet. They make (or made) a ton of different styles.

23. ago

ago
    from pgh. pa.

Dzus fasteners was credited with helping with WWII to quickly service aircraft. I believe the Axis didnt have anything like it at the beginning.

1965CHPCSP and gimpyshotrods like this.
  24. 1965CHPCSP

1965CHPCSP

I want to thank everyone for their help. I have people looking high and low now. These are for my K-88 Scotty Fenn dragster I'm restoring. There were a couple left holding the sheet metal fire wall but missing for the entire body skin. When I restore something I'm an OEM or original kinda guy.....period.
    The information you guys provided is invaluable. Normally I can track this stuff down but this time I was running into dead ends everywhere. That's what this forum is for..to help others out.
    Thanks Again and I'll post photos when completed.

Sent from my iPad using H.A.M.B.

25. IMG_0065.JPG I was sorting some of my Dzus stuff this morning and ran across these two that are what you're looking for - these are marked PANELOC 5-16 and 5-26 and they measure .300 at the shank, obviously for a 5/16" hole. You're probably needing 6-somethings, but at least the PANELOC lead should help. There's some of the countersunk ones listed on EBay right now, apparently Dzus also made that style as DZUS/PANEX.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2017
    rooman likes this.
  26. odcics2

odcics2
    from S.E. MI

Hey guys - I put a wanted ad on yesterday looking for original, vintage dzus fasteners - size AJ5-45.
    Take a look at your stashes and hopefully, someone can help.
    Thanks.
    Greg

27. Hollywood-East

Hollywood-East

I'm sure you're aware... But you can't put a want ad on here without getting a scammer telling you Exactly what you want to hear... Good Luck

28. 54vicky

54vicky

after all the years on here you should know that to say nothing of the hijack:(

29. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

Some inadequate/lost information from the stuff rattling around in my head:
    Columbia airmotive...http://www.buzzfile.com/business/Columbia-Airmotive-Inc-503-665-4896
    searches are confusing, which may mean it's gone or absorbed...go-to source for spares for your B-17!
    Carroll Smith book on fasteners...calls out many types. Book is pretty old, meaning good for usage info, maybe bad on locating sources

Moriarity likes this.