Register now to get rid of these ads!

Motion Pictures Hot Rod movies on TCM tuesday night

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Gregg Pellicer, Jul 24, 2017.

1. Gregg Pellicer

Gregg Pellicer

Hot Rod gang had some damn fine cars in it. Notably the McGee roadster.

els likes this.
  2. dang those cars sound good

and I hope none of those guys gets an eye poked out

rodncustomdreams and els like this.
  3. Was nice to see the Ala Kart and the glass slipper but damn! The acting and story line are sooooooooo bad! I gotta work tomorrow so I'm goin to bed.

4. so_dak_kid

so_dak_kid

Acting some somewhat hokey but some great cars in Hot Rod and the opening and closing scenes were sweet!

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

els likes this.
  5. I was shocked to see an SBC

shocked I say

rodncustomdreams and els like this.
  6. Jeez, some of you guys really need to say spoiler alert before you type anything about the movies. Just because these are 60 year old movies doesn't mean everyone has seen them. Haha just teasing of course.

Looks like I'm gonna be up all night now. I dvr'd them and once I go in to start watching I'll likely end up watching a few in a row....rough day ahead for me tomorrow.

els and 56shoebox like this.
  7. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

I replied on another thread that I thought Hot Rod Gang was total BS. No "patient" rods and nobody sporting tats! "Fake" movie. LOL

tfeverfred, els and anthony myrick like this.
  8. Gregg Pellicer

Gregg Pellicer

Ghost of drag strip hollow had more nice cars including Tommy Ivos T bucket and dragster. Hokey ass movie but cool cars.

rodncustomdreams, tfeverfred and els like this.
  9. I'm going to buy the wife a pointy bra

tfeverfred, els, belair and 2 others like this.
  10. robracer1

robracer1

The second movie Hot Rod Gang sucked so bad it put me to sleep and I missed the other movies. It reminded me of a hour and half of all Elvis movies, a total on 15 minutes story line, then a fight a song a fight a song a fight a song a fight a song a fight a song a song a song a fight a song a song a fight a song and at the end boy gets girl!

Last edited: Jul 26, 2017
    els, Lebowski, RHRH3P and 1 other person like this.
  11. rjones35

rjones35

Yeah the first one was pretty good, next one was less hotrod more rock and roll, then I only saw part of the one after that, looked good though, then I fell asleep..... [​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my SM-G920P using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

els likes this.
  12. The second movie "Hot Rod Gang" was filmed in 1958,then as now guys were using the newest engines available,the sbc had been around for 3 years at that time.

I fondly remember torpedo bras and Angora sweaters.:D HRP

els, anthony myrick and Graystoke like this.
  13. 56shoebox

56shoebox

I recorded all of them. I'll watch them the remainder of this week.

els and The Arizona Old Crow like this.
  14. Graystoke

Graystoke

Who watches these movies for the acting or the script? .... Not me! These "B" movies are classic for the cars and the style of the era (including the pointy bras :) ). Parts are sometimes hard to endure, but I still love them.

15. Well, crap! I missed this thread until now.

els likes this.
  16. All is not lost my friend,it may not be on TV but you can watch it on you tube. HRP

els and rjones35 like this.
  17. yep

and wonder how many folks would have a negative opinion of that car being built like that today? (using a SBC )

els likes this.
  18. hotrodyankee

hotrodyankee

I can "see" your point!

els and anthony myrick like this.
  19. hotrodyankee

hotrodyankee

Gotta love those roadsters.

els likes this.
  20. wonder if anyone knows the single seat car behind car #375 in the opening of the Hot Rod movie?
    looked similar to the Hillborn car but the cowl area looks different

els likes this.
  21. Damm I miss them hope they show them again.

els and lothiandon1940 like this.
  22. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

I love the old hot rod movies...We were right in our 'prime' when these were playing at the old theater on 2nd St. in San Jose...(NOT a 'mainstream Theater'!) But they played ALL the hot rod flicks, Hot Rod Gang, Hot Rod Girl, Drag Strip Girl...all in a month!

I had just gotten my drivers license, and didn't dare drive my cool '36 Five window and park it on 2nd St., (open engine, too many cool things to steal!) so I drove my Mom's cool '48 Caddy, removing her '56 Olds Starfire caps when we parked...also enough room for my cool hot rod buds. (4 of us looked 'cool enough' in the Caddy, so we cruised the main drag and back twice to make sure we were seen...then parked across the street from the show)

I always liked the action shots in Hot Rod Gang, the McGee car was owned by L.A. Roadsters kingpin Dick Scritchfield, and it looked 'FAST' in the flick...Loved the hub cap bumping, we practiced that little trick downtown,
    my channeled 'A' Coupe and my bud Wimpy's chopped '32 5 window Highboy. (looked like Milner's, but black primer and equipped flattie)
    The 'Baldy' caps ('Baby Moons' to you newbies) came from a trailer sales lot. They ALL had 'em, and a bud collected 20+ in one night. Trailers used a generic International 15" wheel, 4-1/2" lug pattern...and early Ford type nubs (inner) We bonked more baldies in a week than we could count. LOL

These movies were an influence. My foster father would caution new friends of mine when he met them:
    "Well, 'John'? You're runnin' in Bad Company..." Huh! I thought I looked pretty cooool... :cool::D

Rebel without a Cause was my 'coming out' flick, we were 13 when it graced the screen of the Santa Clara Theater.
    The Donahue brothers and self were always together, 3 of us. We got our first cars at age 13, wore Levi's, motorcycle boots, and leather motorcycle jackets. Our barber shop was Dick & Danny's, (a 'Rowen & Martin' act, before its time...Laughs galore, plus they blocked the back and never took too much off! My Mom marched me right back in there the first time, demanding either one of them "straighten this out! I sent him for a haircut, not a Badge!" In front of all the 'cooler' characters in town. They were all there. Afterward, they stopped laughing, and encouraged me. One of them said 'Get a hat 'til it grows back'.
    Eventually, I got my Mom to go along, and I grew 'cooler'.... this was 1955.

'Rebel without a Cause' really had an effect, the Donahues and I bought red windbreakers, wore them a lot.
    Great thing was when Brian Burnett had the old 'James Dean' Merc at his shop after the demise of Harrah's collection. (1982? Thereabouts) The new owner of the Merc had Brian do some repairs, so he called me (my shop was 1/2 mile from his 'Street Rods West') so Brian called me to do a little job for him.
    I got there, noticed the old chopped '57 Chrysler that Joe Bailon had done for Cliff Inman...it was getting a 440 transplant. (!?)
    Brian asked me if this Merc looked familiar...I looked it over, dropped with 2" blocks rear, Foxcraft flare skirts, stock '50 'ash can' caps with their chrome wheel cover 'spats'...No, I didn't recognize it.
    Brian said, "Ever see 'Rebel without a..." WOW!!! The James Dean Merc!
    Brian asked if I could do a 'clutch job' in it...Sure, I'll get my nephew...Brian said he'd loan Bob to me, so Bob drove the Merc over, and Brian picked him up.
    I removed the tranny, clutch, and flywheel...had the flywheel Blanchard ground, replaced the stock (Original 'Safety Clutch', which was 'soft', preventing 'grabbing'...in their literature.) I wondered how James Dean was able to lay rubber when Buzz and the boys told him where the high school was...
    When I finished the Merc, I made a hasty trip to Westgate (5 miles away) and found and bought a red Pacific Trails windbreaker.
    Back at the shop, I called Brian to make sure he was there...then slicked my hair back with pomade, donned the red windbreaker, and my Hollywood shades...
    Brian and some guys were standing in the asphalt parking lot of 'Street Rods West'...(the ex-'Alex's Porsche House', I had worked there previous to opening my shop)
    I drove up, raced the mill in the Merc...Brian laughed, so I asked, "W-w-which way to the high school?" (in my best 'James Dean stutter') and Brian points straight up and says, "That way!" I revved the engine, got some tension on the driveline, and laid a 6 foot strip of whitewall rubber, Brian grabbed his head with both hands...Ha!
    Much laughter, the other guys said they remembered that part right after I did it.
    Brian was always very decent to me, (and I invented crazy stuff just to make him laugh...but this time he said I 'worried him'. Then he laughed...)

I loved those movies, some were corny, but the cars were 'influential'. And John Ashley turned out, as a producer.
    The beach and hot rod movies were put away for a few years, (A.I. Productions)

23. els

els

Thanx for the heads up on these movies, I sat my ass on the couch and watch every one of them. Tommy Ivo's dragster was the best. VERY COOL.

24. els

els

Oh, I was going to say something about the HOT ROD GANG movie, why did they bump the tires and hub caps together driving down the street?. Those wheel caps are about $400.00 bucks now.

25. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

By the way, I checked and Jimmy Lydon, the star of "Hot Rod" is still alive and kickin'at the tender age of 94. Maybe they can convince him to come out of retirement and make a sequel! (That seems to be the big thing in films these days.)

els likes this.
  26. els

els

I bought my wife bolt-ons, I wander how point bra would look. Good observation on the bra, I hope the gate keeper doesn't get mad at my reply, Pointed bras are traditional on the HAMB. LOL.

INVISIBLEKID and Graystoke like this.
  27. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

They did it for 'effect'...the crowd just held their breath in the theater, looked SO 'destructive'!
    That was 1957-58, the 'Baldy' caps could be had at American Auto, Urzi's, Grand Auto. $10 for a set of 4.
    Or see Crazy Ronny, he got 'em from the Trailer Sales, at night. Free!
    As I mentioned above, (post # 53) my bud and I practiced this move, did it a lot. We even practiced running together with our wheels 'interlocked', (Wimpy would run ahead 4 feet, on my right. I would get next to him...close, and we'd take this corner by Carnation Creamery) Practiced a lot, one night we did it getting away from a local police car.
    Wimpy 'goosed it' in the last part of the turn, and climbed my back wheel with his...I could see his torque tube, floorboards, and mufflers...I drove 'out from under', and he came down...we split, me left on Park Ave. and Wimpy went straight down Newhall. The cop was confused, we lost him...
    How did we survive all the acts of 'cool'? I am bewildered...:cool:

28. els

els

VERY COOL. good story. thank you,

29. williebill

williebill

Good stories, Mike.

els likes this.