Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical ***July 2017 Banger Meet - A Midsummers Dream of Bangers***

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Jiminy, Jun 30, 2017.

1. fur biscuit

fur biscuit
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

great looking seats! I like the aesthetics of the pair. Don't think my assthetic will fit in them...

jerseyboy and Old Dawg like this.
  2. Dan
    Yes filled
    It took alot of beer cans to fill, local recycler was not happy

Old Dawg and Crazydaddyo like this.
  3. V4F

V4F
    from middle ca.

john , damn nice attempt if it doesn't last the week . I'm sure you will do good , but if not ill take the scrap that's left !

GOOD LUCK TO ALL B VILLE PEOPLE !!!

4. Steve,
    Sorry Guy, if there is anything left it is hanging on my wall.
    Unless it really saws itself in half or is completely useless it will be fixed and run again.
    This really is a joint effort, I wish that I could take credit for everything but not so.
    Jimmy Stevens did the ports, valves and the intake manifold. That was probably the most difficult part.
    If a record is set with this, it will read like a pedigree of land speed gurus and probably represents about a thousand years of racing experience (not mine).
    J

Crazydaddyo, blgitn and Old Dawg like this.
  5. Bluto

Bluto
    Member Emeritus

God Speed John ... Everyone wishes you a safe ride and GOOD FUN!:cool:

29 Speedster and Herb Kephart like this.
  6. Crazydaddyo

Crazydaddyo

Hoping for nothing but the best outcome for you and your team John. Give'm hell.

Herb Kephart likes this.
  7. biggeorge likes this.
  8. fur biscuit

fur biscuit
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Score! WW1 Firestone ambulance wheels!! Going for a pre-ww1 look, these help. Super stoked.

Lowered the mess down to closer to where it will be. Approximated 6" suicide and a 96" wb.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

9. denis4x4

denis4x4
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Colorado

Tell us more about those wheels...are they wood?

10. BCCHOPIT

BCCHOPIT

jerseyboy, burl, waxhead and 2 others like this.
  11. fur biscuit

fur biscuit
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yep. Old fashioned wood. Firestone at that time also made aftermarket wheels for T (and probably other cars too). I have wanted to use wood wheels, but Stock T wheels are, well, stock. They lack the visual I wanted. Look at the fellow and compare to a stock T, almost twice the size. Ed Archer's speedster runs 5 lug Perelman rims, which he has only seen 2 sets of and bought both.

I don't know if the wood is original, the seller said that it is, if so they are in amazing shape. The rims on the other hand are sharp as razors, will need to send out to have a bead laid on them to build them back up.

Old Dawg likes this.
  12. fur biscuit

fur biscuit
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Those look nice! Mr. Stipe does nice work.

biggeorge likes this.
  13. V4F

V4F
    from middle ca.

love the wheels

14. Bluto

Bluto
    Member Emeritus

If they catch you "Loving Wheels" you'll be charged with Public Exposure and Lude Conduct

Keep such conduct in your own garage with the door shut and don't make too much noise doing it.

Unless your in Singapore..... A city where you can't chew gum either.

15. Herb Kephart

Herb Kephart

"The rims on the other hand are sharp as razors, will need to send out to have a bead laid on them to build them back up."

Mr Biscuit
    Better check the fit of the rims against the fellow. before doing any welding. If the wheels are in as good shape as you say they are, there is no way that the turned up edge could have gotten worn. I have seen some demountable rim clinchers that have very little lip there to keep the rim from going on too far. Even if the rim clamps weren't tight enough and the rim spun, the OD of the fellow would show evidence of this.

Herb[/QUOTE]

Last edited: Jul 27, 2017
  16. fur biscuit

fur biscuit
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

[/QUOTE]

Herb, the lip inside the rim against the tire is the issue...

[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

17. And he is exposing his nuts!

18. V4F

V4F
    from middle ca.

i still like the wheels !

19. Herb Kephart

Herb Kephart

Mr Biscuit

Sorry, I was thinking wear if there was any actual thinning. What you have is obviously from rust. I would see if you can find someone to make new felloe bands. what you have is going to be a bitch to build up. I would use braze, were it not for the fact that it would burn the wood underneath. Contact the people who make wagon wheels for the Amish. See if they can shrink a new band on your wood. Very crafty people.That's what I would do. you will get an excellent job for a fair price. You likely have more rust in the space between the band and the felloe wood

Herb

fur biscuit and Old Dawg like this.
  20. Bluto

Bluto
    Member Emeritus

Herb

I've already suggested to Doug that the wagon makers here can roll out new rims here. Even make them rolled instead of clinchers. They cost less than having a ring break and the obvious wreck.......

The wheels on my Mercer had a rope glued into the clincher side and the ring modified to take conventional tires. I drove that car all over the world an full speed anywhere I could and never had a tire or rim problem. I think Doug's car will weigh less than my Mercers engine and gearbox alone.......

Last edited: Jul 29, 2017
    fur biscuit and Old Dawg like this.
  21. noboD

noboD

Message for the other Doug. Calimer wheel shop would be the go to place here, think they are in Waynesboro,Pa. I can get you contact info if you want. I have never used them but have seen plenty of their work. First class and reasonable. Just found their ad in HCCA. 30 East North St. Waynesboro,Pa. 717-762-5060. They will be at Hershey fall meet.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2017
  22. V4F

V4F
    from middle ca.

it would be cool to save the wheels . good luck

23. Bluto

Bluto
    Member Emeritus

Steve

It's pretty easy to do...... these aren't Gurneys or Rocket ......they are a bit more real traditional.
    There are people that make these wheels daily and even parts

24. Herb Kephart

Herb Kephart

Whoever makes the rings, they should be shrunk, or compressed* onto the wood.

* There was a wagon wheel mfgr in West Chester PA that went out of business 50 years ago. They had a monster machine that had about a dozen hydraulic cylinders, spaced in a circle. Different sized blocks fit between the cylinders, and the rim, so that it could accommodate most any size rim. Cylinders, when actuated, would compress the steel band onto the wood wheel, rather than the process of expanding it by heating red hot, dropping it on the wood and pouring water on the rim to cool it, the way the old blacksmiths did it. Machine was kinder to the wood, and did a more uniform job. Someone in Poland might have a rig like that. Those Poles are clever people.

Herb

25. V4F

V4F
    from middle ca.

There are people that make these wheels daily and even parts

you know , the omish may have a better idea .........

26. Bluto

Bluto
    Member Emeritus

Steve

Have you seen an Amish buggy with inflatable tires?

27. fur biscuit

fur biscuit
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Will probably have a new set made, as Jim noted. You are probably right about brazing for filling. For mock up's it works.

This weekend's fun in the 100 degree garage...gas tank! I like the stock 11/12 torpedo tank, so used those dimensions. This let me set the Z height, everything else will have to be done with the spring. 96" wb still works.

[​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 30, 2017
    Old Dawg likes this.
  28. RussTee

RussTee

New rims are made here in New Zealand and shipped worldwide they do an excellent job and I highly recomend them . Try Veteran Car Rims 101Harman St PO Box 9146 Tower Junction Christchurch 8149 New Zealand phone nz 033384307 fax nz 033384309

29. V4F

V4F
    from middle ca.

jim , no I haven't !

30. For photos of the Santa Margarita Ranch Time Trials held on July 8th, go to Facebook and click on Santa Margarita Ranch Time Trials. I know not how to capture and post theM on H.A.M.B.