Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs 1957 Chevy 4 door conversion

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by jonpentz, Jul 11, 2017.

1. jonpentz

jonpentz
    from wyoming

els likes this.
  2. jonpentz

jonpentz
    from wyoming

Does anyone have measurements from the doors of a 2 door post car?

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

els likes this.
  3. jonpentz

jonpentz
    from wyoming

els likes this.
  4. I would never try to do what you are about to do, just don't feel I have the skills. That said, how about cutting out the rear section of the front door jamb and hanging the longer door first. Then relocate the jamb to fit the door.

els, craig b blue, swade41 and 2 others like this.

5. The passenger door on my 2 door sedan measures 46 1/2'' long. I laid a tape measure right on top of the side trim but held it level, not sloped like the trim.
    The 2 door conversion thread on the HAMB is required reading for this swap! Looking forward to some pix of your car.

els and jonpentz like this.
  6. indyjps

indyjps

Are you using doors from a 2 door? Whats the plan of attack?

7. patterg2003

patterg2003

I remembered reading a thread on the conversion using the 4 door jambs once upon a time. Just do a Google search 4 door to 2 door conversion HAMB . That will get on an information trail.

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum...and-55-chevy-2-door-conversion-manual.228873/
    https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/the-ultimate-55-chevy-4-to-2-door-conversion.350312
    A short discussion on parts & method
    https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/tri-five-chevy-2-door-conversion-kit-new.994204/

els likes this.
  8. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

There have been a couple/several threads on this conversion here on the HAMB. The one I think closest to what you're looking at doing is by a young guy (feels odd to refer to anyone as a "young guy" now that I've become a senior) in Colorado, "benchseat4speed", who did it with a 55. I remember when he first became a HAMB member; he has developed his talent very well. I'm going to send you a P.M. with the name of a guy for parts.
    I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

9. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    407-585-1957
    [​IMG]Select Language[​IMG][​IMG]
    My Account Need Help?
    [​IMG]
    Additional Images
    $5299.99
    Qty:

1957 Chevy 4-Door Sedan To 2-Door Sedan Sheetmetal Conversion Kit
    (0) Reviews: Write first review
    SKU: 4D2DK-57
    • Includes All Major Sheet Metal Components To Properly Convert Your 1957 4-Door Sedan To A 2-Door Sedan
    • Requires Extensive Cutting And Welding Yet Allows You To Maintain Original Frame, Top Structure, Rear Glass And Deck Area
    • Requires No Modifications Of The Original Trunk Floor, Trunk Lid Or Original Rear Inner Trunk Walls
    • Includes: Doors, Rocker Panels, Inner Quarter Panels, Outer Quarter Panels, Inner Lock Pillars And Upper B-Pillars
    • Includes Helpful Installation Tips & Photos
    Shipping: Item Ships Via Truck Freight
    Details
    • SKU: 4D2DK-57
    • Item #: 4D2DK-57
    • Condition: New
    Categories
    • Connect with us
    (407)585-1957 1220 East 30th Street
    Sanford, Florida 32773
    [email protected]
    8:00am - 5:00pm EDT

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Could take the easy way out !

10. thirtytwo

thirtytwo

I'm going to start on one too , but I rounded up the quarters with Windows and b pillars from rusty cars and some decent 2 door doors I spent about 500 , I felt it just made it a better car for the extra money, I planned on using aftermarket quarters till I saw the price!... 57 Chevys are worse than 32 fords!

I do have an extra 1/4 for driver side if your interested

11. jonpentz

jonpentz
    from wyoming

Thanks guys yes I am stoked to get started I have actually done this before with a 1956 and it turned out slick. I'll post pictures I used 2 door, doors but I think on this 57 I am going to do the 4 door, doors and splice in the extra and also put all the measurements and high detail pictures through the process to show what you can do with what you have and give the little details all the other feeds are missing I'd like to get multiple measurements from a 2 door, door to make this work so any help would be greatly appreciated I get the extra front 4 door, doors this Wednesday! I'll post pics I found a couple of dang good rust free ones...

els likes this.
  12. jonpentz

jonpentz
    from wyoming

Sorry In advance these are pictures of pictures and there some I took in 2007

els likes this.
  13. jonpentz

jonpentz
    from wyoming

Nailhead A-V8, T-roaster and els like this.
  14. Sounds like more work, using the 4 door sedan doors and making them longer, but what do I know?

15. jonpentz

jonpentz
    from wyoming

I mean yes and no I used 2 door Pontiac doors on my 56 and not only did I pay an arm and a leg for them they were trashed and out of shape from sitting for so long and so I think it will be better for two reasons the #1 reason being cost the #2 reason the door will latch to the post! Besides I am only paying $75 for both extra doors and If I don't want the seam I would gladly pay the $200 for a door skin and still be less into these doors than a set of used 2 doors

els and koolkemp like this.
  16. belair

belair

Sqawblow wrote an excellent how-to.

17. jonpentz

jonpentz
    from wyoming

els likes this.
  18. jonpentz

jonpentz
    from wyoming

[​IMG] I chose between all four of the front doors and decided to change the passenger door because it was smashed on the inside [​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

els likes this.
  19. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

Subscribed

20. Curious about this conversion so--- subscribe me too. Can't wait to see how simple it is!

21. wheeldog57

wheeldog57

Go to it Jon! You will be doing us a great service by posting how you do this. Many pics please!

Sent from my SM-G900V using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

22. kmrumedy

kmrumedy

Very cool thread.

Is it possible to do this conversion and cut out the pillars turning it into a hardtop?

23. koolkemp

koolkemp

Hardtop windshield is lower than sedans so the roof looks too tall to me with the b pillars removed.

els, jonpentz and kmrumedy like this.
  24. kmrumedy

kmrumedy

Thank you. I didn't know that.

els, jonpentz and koolkemp like this.
  25. koolkemp

koolkemp

I always wanted to chop a sedan based body using a HT windshield, if you plan it well very little glass work would be required. If I remember it's 2-3 inches lower . This applies to many 50's-60's body styles .

26. Ralphies54

Ralphies54

Unfortunatly KoolKemp, it's only 1" different. I imagine if it was 3" there would be a lot of chopped Tri-Fives around given the difficulties in cutting wraparound windshields.

27. manyolcars

manyolcars

After reading this I went out and measured the windshield on my 55 2door Hardtop Belair and my 55. 4door Belair which I am converting to a 2door. I get about 17 1/2
    on both cars measured above the wiper post.

els, Steve Ray and jonpentz like this.
  28. Squablow

Squablow

I have done a few of these already, I am subscribed and following along with this one as I'm very interested to see how you splice the two doors together and get them square. For some body styles where a 2 door post was never offered, that would be the way to go.

Here's a '56 I did for my dad, turned out nice, as you can see I had 2 door sedan doors but I had to cut up two 4 door sedan doors for each door to get them solid again, my longer doors were really fucked up. The only benefit being that the window regulators still bolted up to the inner skins nice.

000_0002.JPG
    000_0010.JPG
    03-31-15 002.jpg

tb33anda3rd, T-roaster, els and 5 others like this.
  29. koolkemp

koolkemp

Not sure what you are doing as they are definitely different heights, I did help a friend chop a 57 Wagon, we used the ht glass ,doors and quarter panel pieces. It works better on the 58-60 body .

30. Keep the updates coming.