Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Heritage Gas: Traditional Gasser Classes and Racing

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Don Moyer, Jul 18, 2017.

?

do you have any interest in Heritage Gas

Poll closed Aug 17, 2017.
  1. yes

54 vote(s)
    55.7%
  2. no

43 vote(s)
    44.3%
  1. Nice looking ride, but you are correct, as constructed your car is an altered wheelbase car.

els, loudbang and chevy57dude like this.
  2. Events with very relaxed rules would probably put you in a gasser class. Blue Suede Cruise you would run in competition gas. Hope this helps.

els, loudbang and chevy57dude like this.
  3. rustednutz

rustednutz
    from tulsa, ok

Don, I like your Nostalgia class, but have a couple of questions.
    Will automatic trans be allowed, if so trans brakes?
    What about tunnel ram manifolds?

els likes this.
  4. Don, My earlier comments were meant to point out that it's always easier to build a class around cars that are already out there. Most folks won't build something until they see it happening first. I would say that will be your first problem, i.e. who goes "first?
    Now, Nostalgia Gas is the subject of this thread, right? So, it is an index class with a breakout rule, right?
    This then becomes a whole new discussion.
    So, I would say, if you're copying anyone, it would be NMCA Nostalgia Super Stock, not SEGA.

EDIT: So where are the rules for Heritage Gas?

els and loudbang like this.
  5. No, not according to 1965 rules, on the trans brake.
    Way I see it, Turbo 400, Powerglide, C4 , 727, Hydro, only.

6. For this class, yes automatics will be allowed, however smaller aftermarket convertors will not. I have found no proof to date they existed in 1964. For sure not Trans Brakes, gotta go to Nostalgia Gas and Competition Gas classes for that. No tunnel rams either were produced in 1964.

7. With all the banter about "period correct" I am sure some folks will build them. I will start on one myself here in the near future.

NO, this thread is about Heritage Gas. Nostalgia Gas and Competition Gas are our other 2 classes that cover just about every gasser out there. Nostalgia Gas is an index with a break out, Competition Gas is a dial in to the nearest 10th.

This thread is a rough draft for the rule book that will come out late this fall.

8. 1965 rules, 1964 and earlier parts. Automatics will be hindered for this class with the exception of the Hydro, lots of development by 1964. Maybe someone can chime in on what was being done to automatics in 1964!

9. squirrel

squirrel

that means only the Buick version of the 400, and not much was being done with them yet, eh?

A lot more was being done a couple years later.

10. ididntdoit1960

ididntdoit1960
    from Western MA

I think you're all wet on the tranny options.......NO ONE ran a PG in a competitive care in 1964-5.......I believe turbo 400s were introduced in 1965.......I doubt anyone used those either......I think the clutchflite was developed in 1963 so that or a regular 727 would probably be OK.........I would bet that in the 64/5 era most still ran Hydros.......anything else and you're re-writing history to suit your needs.

els likes this.
  11. correct!

12. no I totally agree with you. But I am not going to write rules that omit something that was available in 1964. Not my place to keep someone from say running F gas with a stock powerglide? The faster cars will all be stick, or the Hydro. No rules will be to re-write history, we want to re-create history with this class!

13. ididntdoit1960

ididntdoit1960
    from Western MA

Welcome to Fantasy Island.....

untitled.png

els, enloe and Tman like this.
  14. rustednutz

rustednutz
    from tulsa, ok

Don, I guess I'm confused. Are all of your classes: Heritage, Nostalgia and Competition, based on the 1964 rules? If so, why that year? Why not go for the last set of rules before the cars started getting "funky looking" i.e. chopped, dropped or any aero advantage allowed? My car won't work for Heritage, so, I was trying to get info on Nostalgia class as I can't seem to find the rules anywhere. I'm not interested in starting over just trying to see where it would fit.

els and Don Moyer like this.
  15. Reason I asked is because I don't see Heritage Gas listed here.

Also , you need to clarify "sportsman tree" . Super Gas uses a .4 instant bottom bulb tree. Super Street uses a . 5 tree. Stock, Super Stock, Comp uses a full three amber .5 tree. All are considered Sportsman by NHRA.

els, loudbang and Don Moyer like this.
  16. squirrel

squirrel

.4 single yellow is usually called "pro tree", so that's probably not what he means. :)

17. No, the year cut off is for Heritage Gas only. Usually the year cut off for Nostalgia and Competition Gas are the event cut off. So for instance at some events have earlier cut off dates than others.

els likes this.
  18. I think you're right. I just didn't want to use the term "pro" in the context of sportsman racing.
    I wanted to clarify, just in case someone wants to use a Powerglide and a stock converter;);)

19. Correct, no pro tree.

20. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

I remember going to a track with the dragster and they said, just a second and we will reset the tree to .4 , I saw yellow and left. My brother said, if that would have been a pro tree you would have had a hell of a light!! No reset. :(:D I hate a .5 tree. Lippy

21. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

Sounds like once you get rolling you will be ok with the rules. I'm sure changes will be made here and there. BTW, we had a 1964 vette with a stock P/G and stock convertor and did very well with it. Lippy:)

22. squirrel

squirrel

stall speed don't matter if you're smoking the tires off the line

powrshftr, els, enloe and 3 others like this.
  23. 55Deso

55Deso
    from Wyoming

I like the overall idea you're going for, not a fan of Index or Dial In classes though.

24. Roothawg

Roothawg

Everyone will tell you it can't be done. Most will never build a car. Press on and see what happens. I think it will go.

25. Index and Dial in only in 2 of the classes, Heritage Gas will be heads up.

26. Thank you! We have been talking about this for a long time.

27. Then you would want a .5 pro tree, wouldn't you? Otherwise , lots of red lights. Spectators don't like that.

els likes this.
  28. I know, we ran the pro tree at Blue Suede Cruise and no red lights, the next day we ran the sportsman tree and red light all over the place haha. But, they didn't have a pro tree in 1964-5 so we will stick with the traditional tree.

els, hotroddon and loudbang like this.
  29. Fair enough..but you will then need a 5 amber tree LOL

els, Don Moyer and loudbang like this.
  30. squirrel

squirrel

I made four passes at the Meltdown drags, got two redlights. They have 3 amber bulbs