Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods chrysler hemi guys, i need a measurement

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by silent rick, Jul 24, 2017.

1. silent rick

silent rick

just need the exact distance on centers of the top two water pump mounting holes.

thanks

2. George

George

What engine, year, & W/P?

3. Yes which one?

4. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have a ' 56 331 truck engine under the stairs that I can measure easily, but the other guys are right : which specific engine?

5. 1957 392----- 8.5" between the top 2 bolts in the timing cover which I think is what you asking.

6. rooman

rooman

Top water pump holes are 8.375 apart on my 392--measured between spotting transfer punch tips and also outside of bolt head to outside of bolt head, minus one bolt head width as a back up. The timing cover top bolts are actually on 2.75" (or thereabouts) apart.

Roo

7. silent rick

silent rick

i have a 241 dodge hemi. i want to shit can the oem water pump housing and adapt a chevy water pump.

hot heads sells adapters to use a sbc pump on dodge hemis.
    they also sell adapters to use a bbc pump on chrysler hemis.

I prefer the bbc pump for the mount they have off to the side. makes for a clean alternator mount. I've seen bbc pumps on 241's. jack(phat rat) here on the hamb is running one.

now there is about a 1 1/4 inch difference in width between sbc and bbc water pumps. I'm so confused. if phat rat is running a bbc pump on his 241 with adapters, how would it be possible to run a sbc pump on one. wouldn't the sbc pump be too narrow?

8. Frankie47 likes this.