Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration The History Of The H.A.M.B. Logo

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, Jul 23, 2017.

1. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

You guys might be branding experts, but you can't read for shit! :)

els, raven, HEMI32 and 7 others like this.
  2. 5window

5window

Yeah, that's me, too.

els likes this.
  3. 5window

5window

"So I’ve been giving some thought lately to freshening up the H.A.M.B. logo a bit." ??

els likes this.
  4. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Nowhere did I mention replacing the current logo with a rough sketch from 15 years ago.

If I change up my logo a bit, 95% of you won't even notice. :)

els, HEMI32, straykatkustoms and 2 others like this.
  5. Stu D Baker

Stu D Baker
    from Illinois

Why even think about changing the old style logo? Is it broke?

els likes this.
  6. ,,,,,,,,,progress was alright once,, but it has gone on too long,,,
    Leave it alone,,

HemiDeuce, Hnstray and els like this.
  7. I'll chime in. Let it be. :)

els likes this.
  8. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

This is all some funny shit right here. I'd think I fucked up and got on the wrong board if it was "all new", but I get it. Just looking back. However, you're bangin this chicken and we're just here to hold the wings:eek:

Hnstray, els and bchctybob like this.
  9. denis4x4

denis4x4
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Colorado

You might be surprised! In any event, the HAMB logos you posted looked like they were basically tweeked on a computer.

els likes this.
  10. DeucePhaeton

DeucePhaeton

I hate change.
    Isn't the original the "traditional" logo?

11. engine138

engine138
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Commack NY

els and anthony myrick like this.
  12. well, they are fun to watch I guess
    sorry
    late night with Pizza heart burn/squirts makes you type stupid stuff sometimes

els likes this.
  13. I love change.....especially underwear

who wants to drive Fred Flintstones car to work everyday

Last edited: Jul 24, 2017
    els likes this.
  14. You can't change it! It's traditional.:cool: Besides I made my sign already.:rolleyes:
    IMG_9840.JPG

els, Surfcityrocker, fnjunk and 3 others like this.
  15. 5window

5window

You may have enrolled in the wrong website as this is a forum about traditional cars. Tuners are located elsewhere, we don't even like b*ll*t.

I am still confused, I guess. Ryan said he was thinking about freshening the logo, which I interpreted as changing it, which most here don't want to do. There's also a mention of rough drawings from 15 years ago, but the blog says 2012 which is 5 years ago. In any case, it is just a logo, and it is Ryan's logo and I think I'll go out and work out that trans cooler leak instead of worrying about this. Fun to read, though.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2017
    els likes this.
  16. well I be
    I don't post pics of my lowered Civic here....
    but I have parked it next to a 32

els likes this.
  17. NoSurf

NoSurf

I think it needs some skulls and maybe some spiderwebs.

18. You sure know how to open a can of worms here, don't you? :confused:

I like the current logo. I also like a couple of the sample revisions. Is there a law that says you can't have more than one logo? :rolleyes:

At least you're not considering another site redesign... are you...???? :p

els likes this.
  19. slowmotion

slowmotion

Get the hell outa there kid....!!!

els likes this.
  20. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Is this a restoration web site? Aweful lot of people who hate the idea of "change for sake of change" lol. Guess we do have an aweful lot of "why would you chop that car?!" Threads. Whatever lol

els likes this.
  21. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Ok went and read the post. Pretty sure that post couldn't have been more clear that these were old ideas for the hamb logo. For fucks sake guys.

Oh and I think I saw Picasso posting lately.

els likes this.
  22. D Picasso

D Picasso

That's the truth. Ma-a-a-an.

Thanks for the kind words, Mister Ryan.

els, Never2low, Sancho and 1 other person like this.
  23. Reading skills and comprehension skills are two different animals. By the way D Picasso, really dig the Red Owl avatar !

els likes this.
  24. Dick Stevens

Dick Stevens

25. continentaljohn

continentaljohn

I have always been the fan of the original shifter and not sure who design it but it's perfect. Theses are new old stock from the original run from long ago to benefit HAMB costs.

Attached Files:

els, WillyKJr and 5window like this.
  26. Don't mess with it. The current logo is classic, and after all, aren't we all about tradition here? ;)

kidcampbell71, els and bchctybob like this.
  27. blue57ford

blue57ford

28. So the "History" part of the blog title is a re-telling of a minor speed bump in the life of a familiar and apparently much loved logo. However, it's understandable that old mud will cloud the waters of comprehension, just as much as new, when it's stirred up again. Don't make me pull over and give everybody time outs.

Now, if a 40 year career as a graphic designer qualifies as a "branding expert", then I 'r' one. The 12 year old logo proposals have their charms. The font selected is an Art Deco style that was all the rage in the 1930's, don't-cha-know? So in that sense could be said to be "traditional". But by suggesting just one typeface and treatment, it boils down to just an exercise in different shapes of crest shields. (The first 4 are condensed font and the 5th one is extended, but they are the same font.) The periods after the letters become centered bullet spacers which kind of says there are individual letters or an acronym, but not quite. If you don't know the secret handshake, you might never know. A simple use of the 3 original stars as spacers instead of bullets would give a nod to continuity of the original logo, for example. The proposals are not bad.... they just don't have much scope and don't explore possibilities. The 3D effect of the letters has a nice chrome looking style that works well for a car internet forum. But for sticky back plaques and decals that might be a hot mess, speaking production wise.

On the other hand, the "original" logo is a case of some bitter with the batter, too. The letter spacing is bad and it's out of balance, to be honest. However, a valid argument can be made that this negative is actually a positive, though. It's fair to say it smacks of ol' school crude and is representative of signage and display craft of the period. "I meant to do that!" The initials clearly show that they are an abbreviation for something. All in all, I agree with the unwashed masses that *it ain't broke so don't fix it, not 12 years ago, not today, not tomorrow.

*I understand, nobody is planning to do that.

Hnstray, els, SLCK64 and 1 other person like this.
  29. bchctybob

bchctybob

I didn't see anything in the samples that looks better, I'd leave well enough alone.....

els likes this.
  30. Thinking about a change and actually changing the logo are two different things.

I know the H.A.M.B. is not a democracy but I hope your just toying with the Idea but if the day comes I'm sure you will have put a lot more thought in it.

Dan Picasso's artwork is top notch and that goes without saying,I'm sure he has honed his craft considerably since he did the renderings.HRP

els likes this.