Register now to get rid of these ads!

HUBBA HUBBA my 32-4 Tudor tribute to Gramps

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Runnin shine, Jul 15, 2015.

1. dumprat

dumprat
    from b.c.

Let the kids play on the carpet for a week!

Put them to a usefull purpose. Lol

slv63, loudbang and brEad like this.
  2. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

3. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

4. dumprat

dumprat
    from b.c.

Return spring is a hell of a good idea

5. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

Experimenting with my grill shutters. This is a fairly slow process on the bead roller(I'm using the hand crank for now). I take a few steps to get to this with flipping and running each direction plus changing roller dies back and forth.
    [​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

loudbang, brEad, tb33anda3rd and 2 others like this.
  6. I want to see more of this...

7. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

I'm not looking for perfection here. Just something that is a 6-10 footer. Plus I hope it doesn't shout out home made. Yes Pines aficionados and myself will see right away it's a phony.
    I couldn't bring my self to just have plain flat bars or this would have been done long ago. What I'm on to seems close enough for me. I do need some more consistency and refinement. I will be soaking these in bleach to get that cool green old roof flashing and gutter look.
    [​IMG]

Stogy, loudbang, slv63 and 2 others like this.
  8. Almost there. Good job!​

9. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

First I start with some 1/2" copper tubing. It's the cheap red softer stuff, I didn't want to fork over some steep copper costs on an experiment.
    [​IMG]
    Then I fire up my new HAMB alliance bead roller(I needed to do something with these tags I'm piling up).
    [​IMG]
    I lost a screw for the tag. Keep forgetting to install the zerk fittings(original 32s of course) Lol.
    [​IMG]
    Step one is rolling out some flat sides in the round tube. I slowly walk it down to a roughly .350" oval. I do this in different directions controlling the bowing, squareness of the two flats, and any twist as best I can. Starting with its red markings up. I'm using the flat surfaces next to the bead impressions on a set of dies. If I start close to the bead grooves I can minimize the markings from the set screw holes. I scribe a centerline down each flat before moving on.
    [​IMG]
    Step two is installing my shiny tipping die on top to roll a simulated seem down the middle of the flat surfaces.
    [​IMG]
    I do this as well in several small increments to be safe. Flipping sides and directions multiple times.
    [​IMG]
    I now take it to the point of the two sides touching in the I.D.
    [​IMG]
    After that I go back to the two bead roller dies and walk the four raised sections down to a flat surface leaving a nice round leading edge for the shutters at about .150" thick. When I've gone further they start to get a knife like edge. Plus I'm happy with this thickness.
    [​IMG]
    I make sure I run it through a couple times all four ways so it's evenly flattened out square. Sometimes I run it back with the tipping die to make sure the middle groove is crisp.
    Now I need to fit all 16 shutters to the grill shell in the respective positions. Then finalize a mounting solution to keep them angling in slightly towards the center bar eight shutters per side. I would like to continue this in a fashion that again doesn't shout out "hey I'm a poser"
    I'll clean and polish all 16 bars then soak'm in bleach for the cool corroded look.
    Oh, and make the lower center bar bezel part for my cool Huppmobile plaque.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2017
    Stogy, v-v, Tim_with_a_T and 4 others like this.
  10. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

This is off topic but...
    I've been scouring the garage and taking a re-look at my stuff to see what I can sell to muster up 6 big'ns. I've even almost lowered myself to drug users levels and looked at the two 60cc 3 wheelers of my youth that my Brother just had me come collect for my kids.
    One thing I will not let myself separate with is these BRE long rods for my tall deck 427 Chevy gasser engine project.
    [​IMG]
    This one takes a risk out of the packaging in harms way to keep me reminded of where I've been and where I'm going. I feel pretty damn shitty about my funds. When I see Hot Rod bling like this in my shack it cheers me up a touch though.

loudbang likes this.
  11. dumprat

dumprat
    from b.c.

I had to go get a job, which as good as it is takes me away from my projects. But I understand that is not in your cards right now

loudbang and Runnin shine like this.
  12. The grill bars for the pines front are looking great../..Keep it going as we are all watching....

13. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Looking good man. Keep chewing at it and you'll get it swallowed.

14. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

Can you say fail, fail, fail, fail?
    [​IMG]
    I have jack shit to show for around two months of summer. Family and summer life have gotten in the way of progress. Especially after taking a pause over the chop I'm still uncertain of. It's grown on me as is and part of me just wants to be wrap it up to have it driving. I swore I'd paint it before winter hits and that's a lot of bodywork. But I'm still scared that if I don't slam it more it will just be another forgettable monstrosity.
    Don't even get me started on the grill bezel F ups and being broke.
    I've recently started to bust my butt selling loose end bits so I can pay two HAMBrs I owe and to get back on this thing. I really need engine machine work started like yesterday.
    On a positive note I'm going to the Meltdown Drags Saturday with a pal in hopes of getting me out of this rut.
    Wyatt

15. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

You'll get there man. If the chops growing on you leave it, you can always chop it more and patch the paint damage.

Though I have to laugh at you thinking it a forgettable monstrosity with out more chop. I think it looks pretty cool, unless your aiming for rememberable monstrosity in which case I guess cut it till you look out threw the roof!

slv63 and loudbang like this.
  16. That right most one looks pretty good!

loudbang likes this.
  17. Just catching up on this Thread. Wyatt you are certainly an inspiration to us all! :cool:You need to make a second Pines for me.;) Don't forget just a small Red accent somewhere.:rolleyes:

18. The Artist knows! That speck of red makes it!:cool: What does my cousin know?:confused: He is just a kid!:rolleyes:

19. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

I'm out of town for the Meltdowns.
    I left my best guys on Hubba Hubba while I'm away
    [​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

20. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

I'd like to make this an amazing post though I'm tired from the long day but also can't wait to share some tidbits of my day.
    Saw this guys car
    [​IMG]
    But never ran into the guy
    Spent some time in the pits with this standup gentleman
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    He had a rough day
    [​IMG]
    And I met and shook the hand of the MAN!
    [​IMG]
    He signed for me a $4 swapmeat Farmall trucker hat that barely fits on my head that now I'll never get rid of and one of his free repo 70s event posters. I mention this because he spilt a bunch of his cigar ashes all over it and for a fraction of a second I thought of saving them, lol.
    I don't usually get star struck over celebs but something about this guy and his history as he shakes my hand I start to stumble my words.
    I tell him how I know he probably doesn't need any kids patting his back and blowing his second hand smoke back up somewhere. But... like so many gents before me who start to build their first flatty in there heads. They often dream of one of his cams way in advance of it becoming a reality. I said I was un-originally this way too. And when I purchased my first 59A motors then pop a front cover only to find the letters 400 jr hand stamped under grit, grime and grease, how giddy I was. And how much that meant to me and the way I'll keep that thing forever even if it's snapped in half when I finally get it out. I said I know it could be him, a crony, or underling who stamped the cam but it was crazy cool to me anyway. He said it was probably him. I expressed my concerns that it could be in rough shape and need a regrind. He said not likely they are hard camshafts. Will see, hope he's right, I think he knows what he's talking about.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 15, 2017
  21. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Awesome man! Tim's 5 window is pretty cool I miss him being around. Glad you had a fun trip :)

loudbang likes this.
  22. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

I'm going to try heat this go around on the bezel. It's .024" stainless metal I'm using. Cross yo fingers!
    My current plan is to get this grill close and that should pump me up and I'll attack the chop. I have been meaning to dig it out and take a few pics in the driveway for you guys.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2017
    brEad, Tim and loudbang like this.
  23. dumprat

dumprat
    from b.c.

Hey rather than heat and beat the bezel why not use a hyd press and press the form and stainless down into piece of rubber? Or even better weld up a female die and press away. Ya could do it with a bottle jack and the rear bumper of the wife's minivan if ya were cautious not to let her catch ya....

24. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

I thought of that route first Matt since me and you seem to usually be on the same page. But since I or my wife refuse to own a minivan, which is surprising since the kids have near killed our libido, . I'd need a press that I don't have, which is surprising since the wife has wanted to get me one so she can use it for a few art projects.
    Both of my two main build/fabricate buds have presses. They both live close to the in-laws so if this heat route doesn't pan out I will be going your way and you may say I taught'm everything he knows.
    Wyatt, over and out.

mspalding62 and loudbang like this.
  25. dumprat

dumprat
    from b.c.

I kinda didn't figure for a minivan guy, I was just poking fun.

Runnin shine and loudbang like this.
  26. Just checked in on ya....keep on keeping on.

Runnin shine likes this.
  27. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

Not much Keepin goin right now. I am on the HAMB constantly but the car is buried in the nest. The entire second bay of the garage if you will is filled with flat files and cabinets for the wife's art studio/she shed im supposed to be working on right now. I actually am fairly motivated to build this for her. 1 it will free up tons of space in my haven, a bunch of it was crowded with art stuff already. 2 it will sort of relieve some overbearing pressure from the boss when I want to pour it back on Hubba Hubba. I have to be painting this thing like yesterday you know. 3 happy wife no more strife?
    I have to get crazy busy on this cause I miss your feedback and support Dennis.

loudbang and Stogy like this.
  28. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Thinking like a broke bastard could you drive your non mini van vehicle over the dies and press them together?

slv63, brEad, loudbang and 1 other person like this.
  29. Did you finish my winter front yet?:rolleyes:

loudbang, Stogy and Runnin shine like this.
  30. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

Yes Tim I will try this if heat doesn't work but honestly I'm dreading making a female die to match the crappy buck I hastily slapped together. On the plus side I think I've mentally made progress on how I will secure the shutters. I have even considered making them function. I'll probably Bitch out on that route though.
    Do you know the pop radio station song that I hear when riding shotgun with my lady roommate where the girl says "I'm so fancy"? I ear worm on this every time I attempt any labor on the grill insert.

Mark all my red paint is down to the dregs after painting my rims to get the correct green hot rod-wheel ratio

Last edited: Jul 23, 2017
    loudbang likes this.