Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects The 40 stake truck and the 283, 350, 283, and a 350!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by bchrismer, Jun 29, 2017.

1. MO_JUNK

MO_JUNK
    from Rolla, Mo.

Good work Bret. You are well ahead of me. I'm in the middle of the 472 Cad. swap into my 57' pickup. Sam IMG_2292.jpg

2. Go, man, go!!!

I'm hoping to have the little stuff done by Saturday, so that we can fire it up and break in the cam. I'd love to have it at the exhaust shop on Monday or Tuesday.

3. MO_JUNK

MO_JUNK
    from Rolla, Mo.

Keep going. I took the extra time to design and make bolt in mounts should I ever return to a small block. I'm shooting for completion in time for the HAMB DRAGS.

4. Hamtown Al

Hamtown Al
    Member Emeritus
    1. Virginia HAMB(ers)

A piece of 3/4" plywood under the battery should meet your budget... I used it in several applications.
    Not as sexy as peel and seal but works, won't fall off, and cheap.;)

bchrismer likes this.
  5. Spent some time down at the shop last night and some tasks knocked off the list.

• Fuel lines have been run, going from 1/4" to 5/16" with an electric pump.
    • Radiator filled and plugs checked for leaks.Battery bottom lined with some peel and seal, for some radiant barrier, and made a battery hold down for it.
    • Battery cables finished up
    • Remounted the starter using the instructions to drill out the upper threads on the starter and bolting into the adapter. (If I ever change the starter to a new one, I will actually drill out the threads on the adapter and clearance the back side to allow a bolt to go in from the back, instead! What a pain in the keister to do it their way!)
    If I can get down to the shop tonight, I am going to remove the exhaust manifolds to have my exhaust guy replace a couple of the studs that need replacing. I can drop them by his shop tomorrow, and am planning on trailering the truck up there on Monday to have him run the pipes from the manifolds back to the mufflers.

Saturday's tasks will be:
    • Install new transmission mount biscuits
    • Double check all the transmission bellhousing bolts, making sure that they are all tight.
    • Adjust the clutch
    • Wire the fuel pump and electric choke
    • Relocate the horn
    • Reinstall the transmission tunnel, floor mat, etc
    • Load the truck onto the trailer for it's trip to the muffler shop on Monday
    Hopefully, all will go as planned, and that will push off the breaking in of the cam until July 22, when Doug's back in town. Once the cam is broken in, and everything is successful, I'll bolt the grill back in, put the hood back on, and bolt the bumper back on the front.

Man, I'm looking forward to getting this swap completed and having the truck back in working order!

Dick Stevens and brett4christ like this.
  6. 20170715_172115.jpg
    Loaded up to head to the exhaust shop. We decided it would be easier on our old ears to run in the cam with the exhaust complete. Still need to run back down to the shop and clear out the bed and properly strap down the truck to the trailer, but will get that done tomorrow.

drdave, Moriarity and fourspeedwagon like this.
  7. 20170716_194223.jpg Yesterday, I went down and picked up the trailer and the truck and drove it home to the house, to save myself some time this morning. Once I got it down to the exhaust shop, the next wild goose chase began. My exhaust guy didn't want to try to attach to a center dump manifold, since it was so close to the steering box. Within an hour, I was able to find a Chevy truck passenger side center dump that kicks to the rear, to use on the driver's side, allowing it to clear the steering box.

The good news is that the exhaust is now complete. The bad news is that the "new" exhaust manifold will have to be removed, blasted, and painted eventually.

Saturday morning, we should be able to crimp the spark plug wires and install them, run the power to the fuel pump and choke, prime the oiling system, and break in the cam. Praying everything goes right with the cam and that we can button up the grill, reinstall the hood, and attach the bumper.

8. typo41

typo41
    Member Emeritus

[ CAT.jpg
    I have the same problem, everyone of my vehicles have cat slide prints down the windshields

Speedwrench and bchrismer like this.
  9. Schwanke Engines

Schwanke Engines

Those Cats would be Dead cats on my Farm. If I find any Cats on any of my Cars out comes the Shot Gun and bye bye goes the Cat.

H380 and neatoldclassics like this.
  10. Nostrebor

Nostrebor

Hey Brett,

Who's your exhaust guy?

11. cvstl

cvstl
    from StL MO
    1. H.A.M.B. Chapel

Ummmm, are those Christmas lights on the front porch rail?

Don't waste time taking them down now, we're over half way to time to turn 'em on again. Lets get that thing running, I'm anxious to hear it.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2017
    drdave, bchrismer and firstinsteele like this.
  12. Mark, at A-1 in Nixa.

BTW...Mark wasn't being difficult with me, regarding that manifold, and actually pointed me in the right direction of a guy who had one. Since I was "in need", and he had what I needed, and he knew I needed it yesterday, there wasn't any room to negotiate.

I've had Mark do the exhaust on the MorDor, the tailpipes on the coupe, the rerouting around the clutch in the coupe, and now the front half on the truck. Each time he has done nice work and has been more than reasonable.

13. Why, yes! Yes, those are Christmas lights. It was too cold to take them down, and now it's too hot to do it.

I can't wait to fire it up this weekend! If that cam sounds half as snotty as I think it will, and if it's got more power than the flatty had, I will be more than happy come Sunday!

14. Nostrebor

Nostrebor

Good exhaust guys, that understand the language of Hot Rod, are hard to find. That is why I asked. Thanks for expanding the answer to confirm.

chiro and bchrismer like this.
  15. Schwanke Engines

Schwanke Engines

61Cruiser and bchrismer like this.
  16. neatoldclassics

neatoldclassics
    from Montana

Keep up the good work... subscribed

bchrismer likes this.
  17. The paint on both 40s is already less than stellar, so I'm not too worried about them. Her favorite place to nap seems to be in the driver's seat, but I had the windows rolled up.

LOU WELLS and pat59 like this.
  18. 20170718_181206.jpg
    A crappy photo, but showing the truck manifold that we used to clear the steering box. Still needs removed, blasted and painted.

Chavezk21 and tb33anda3rd like this.
  19. Just grazed through your progress again. I like it! A while back 56 sedandelivery asked about your pilot bearing adapter. I didn't see a direct reply in that you had it installed. Without it you will have a Nasty viberation so here's to hoping you installed it and I just didn't catch the replay about it. Keep up the good work.
    The Wizzard

20. Thanks!

The 283 did get a Speedy Bill pilot bushing in it before I put the clutch and pressure plate on the flywheel.
    20170703_164455.jpg
    You can't see it in this pic, but you can see the clutch alignment tool sticking out of it.

61Cruiser and tb33anda3rd like this.
  21. Told the wife not to wait on me for supper tonight, as I am gonna stop by the shop to get stuff ready for tomorrow. My plan is to get all the little stuff done so that all we have to do, in the morning, is pull the distributor, prime the oil passages, reset the distributor, and run the engine.

The friggin' anticipation is wearing me out!

22. wutnxt

wutnxt

Love the pickup exhaust manifold. Did the same thing on my'40 coupe. It's like it was made for this swap. By the way, my coupe is loaded with peel-n-seal

bchrismer likes this.
  23. Nice old 40 truck...I really like it. and a very nice job on the motor swap. You will love the SBC in it.

24. Today is the day! To help limit the stuff that we have to do to fire it up, I stopped by the shop on the way home, last night. Choke & fuel pump wired, drivers side exhaust manifold removed, painted, and reinstalled. Also spent some time trying to use some JB Weld on some loose areas in the grill, since it's still out of the truck.

This morning, we'll have to crimp the plug wires. Since I am a slob, and Doug is more of a neat freak, I waited on that job until he was back in town, so he can help keep it clean.

Hopefully my next post will be after the cam has been successfully broken in and the truck has been driven home!

25. Well...while yesterday was the day, I came home disappointed. I believe that I have some electrical issues that I need to fix, starting with a fresh battery. I had forgotten that the one that I have in the truck was purchased in 2012, so it's more than likely too weak for the job. We had issues with a slow turning starter and weak spark.

I also need to change one of my grounds to go directly to the starter, to see if I can get it to spin a little better. One suggestion that I got from another buddy is that I may have a poor ground between my distributor and the intake manifold, since I recently painted the manifold. I may have to pull the distributor and make sure that it's seat is clean of any paint. That would be an "oops" on my part.

Hoping to get back down there and troubleshoot today.

enloe likes this.
  26. I believe your dist ground is OK. The bolt in the manifold grounds through the threads to the lock washer to the Dist clamp to the top flange on dist housing. Now if you painted the Dist housing itself there might be your ground issue.
    The Wizzard

bchrismer likes this.
  27. In fact there should be a gasket on the base of dist for oil control. that will stop the ground from manifold to dist.

28. I like using a Star type lock washer on dist bolt instead of Cut washer just for better ground effect.
    I'll stop hitting wrong key now.
    The Wizzard

29. Yeah, I thought about that after I posted. I agree that "shouldn't" be it.

30. I'm back. I was just looking at your photo of the Motor. You have electronic ign. It has it's own ground wire (the black one). Housing ground should not be an issue. To test use your V.O.M. touch dist housing with batt power and read current draw.
    The Wizzard