Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods "The Creeper"

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by mike bowling, Jan 17, 2017.

1. mike bowling

mike bowling

2. mike bowling

mike bowling

Thanks for the + feedback- get that truck goin" and show 'em what for!

Thanks to all who are following and have given me inspiration to forge on!

Sometimes between the weather and not being able to get out of my own way, it's a challenge. ( also re- clapboarding my house and painting for Mommy - probably a good thing, I've got help from Local#34, United Carpenter Ants of America) DSCN0674.jpg )

Last edited: Jun 20, 2017
    Stogy, clunker, Mikel50 and 3 others like this.
  3. mike bowling

mike bowling

So, Stogy, you gonna put this to music for me?? Maybe some good ole 3 chord Rock 'n Roll? DSCN3035.JPG

fol, onekoolkat1950 and Stogy like this.
  4. I respect a guy with an real Estwing and a 30 year old Makita (let the tool snobs see if their $300 Boschs are making sawdust in 30 years...) I know 3 guys still using their 1st gen Makita table saws, can't kill em. Wish I still had my blue 9.6 volt drill.

The car is coming out great. Are you going to debut it this summer here? Give us a heads up.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

loudbang and mike bowling like this.
  5. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I think your onto something..."Eh Oh Let's Go" Now wouldn't a little Blitzkrieg Bop (pronounced BlitzKroil or maybe BlitzCreep) be a great cruisin tune for the Ole Kroil "Creeper"...Mike if I sing the site will crash...:D

6. mike bowling

mike bowling

Thanks, "clunker",
    You can't beat a waffle headed 22oz hammer for everyday use! ( I used to do finish work with it and horrify people!) And that's one of three Makita's I have ( one real nice, one OK and one "beat on " saw)
    They always told me "It's a poor carpenter that blames his tools". I like what I have, and I have what I like. ( even some Disston hand saws and a Makita chop saw with a cast iron base that weighs around 40 pounds ( vintage 1980- good for cutting fire wood! )

onekoolkat1950, clunker and biggeorge like this.
  7. I'm with you, Mike. Old school all the way. Remember dragging these up the stairs in the eighties before Hitachi came out with their portable radial arm miter saw?[​IMG]still got mine. (We used to call it "the finger taker")

loudbang, biggeorge and mike bowling like this.
  8. mike bowling

mike bowling

I'm back!! I've been pecking away at the Creeper, and working on my house to keep Mommy happy (?). Also my son who downloads pictures for me has been really busy, so I've got pictures to post, but they're stuck in my camera.
    Ronnie "wheeldog57" has been helping me get the motor ready to fire, but things went kinda haywire with that- my new water pump has a crack in one of the bolt bosses, so I've got to take all that apart ( again). Starter motor bendix is not engaging, so I've got to drop that (again) and check that out. But on the bright side, wiring is all working, and fuel pump and lines are working (and not leaking), so I'm psyched - a few bumps in the road but no biggie. I'm grateful to have Ronnie on the team- he knows SBC motors ,and has been a major player on that end.
    I like building hot rods, but am not a mechanic so motors and transmissions make me very nervous!

Quick update- Hope y'all are having a good summer; be safe.
    Mike DSCN3395.JPG

kiwijeff, brEad, patmanta and 6 others like this.
  9. mike bowling

mike bowling

Well, guess who showed up on his way home from camping? TECH SUPPORT!
    First one's so you don't think I'm a slacker.............
    Tossing paint ideas around- talked to some paint people and Ted Kiley the pinstriping and lettering Wizard DSCN3416.JPG DSCN3430.JPG

patmanta, loudbang, Stogy and 3 others like this.
  10. mike bowling

mike bowling

ROUGH designs- thinking out loud ( and I love playing with 1/8" tape) DSCN3432.JPG

11. mike bowling

mike bowling

making a bracket for the fuel pump DSCN3435.JPG

kiwijeff, loudbang, Stogy and 2 others like this.
  12. mike bowling

mike bowling

Every once in a while have to un-plug, un tangle and sweep- military training was good for a few things! DSCN3436.JPG

13. Mikel50

Mikel50

The scallops will look killer on the car !
    Lookin good Mike !

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

14. mike bowling

mike bowling

Gravity feed pump, so this is gonna work fine..............
    Installed, and ready for action DSCN3439.JPG DSCN3443.JPG

15. mike bowling

mike bowling

Also had this driveshaft hoop sitting around , so welded on some tabs and bolted it up- gotta be good for at least 5mph?? DSCN3450.JPG

kiwijeff, brEad, loudbang and 2 others like this.
  16. mike bowling

mike bowling

Note: if you see things that look half done and unsafe ( ahem) , you're right- I'm trying to get this rig running so I don't have to push it around ( although it's VERY light).

Got me a pisser CHROME fan at the Dragway for 15 bucks! Look at that patina and drool. It's like 1966 all over again. DSCN3448.JPG

17. mike bowling

mike bowling

Also picked up another super clean shifter with ALL the parts bagged and tagged- $40. bucks.
    Now I have TWO ( can't let a deal get away!) DSCN3449.JPG

18. mike bowling

mike bowling

And so, as the sun sinks slowly into the bushes, I'm signing off for an ice cream break.

As the King of the Cowboys used to say " Happy Trails to You, until We Meet Again!" DSCN3414.JPG

19. mike bowling

mike bowling

Comments and Feedback are welcomed. I appreciate you guys that are following this! DSCN3446.JPG

20. SEAAIRE354

SEAAIRE354

That said the intake is really cool but haven't seen an intermission photo in a while. Been following from the beginning nice to see your back at it. The car is looking great.

loudbang and mike bowling like this.
  21. mike bowling

mike bowling

Thanks, "SEAAIRE354", running low on acceptable intermission photos! Can't remember if this has been put on, but she's worth another look! She's got a mean, bitchy look that I love.
    DSCN3274.JPG

Last edited: Jul 23, 2017
  22. mike bowling

mike bowling

Finally replaced the mock-up gauges with the ones that are staying in and started some wiring. DSCN3455.JPG DSCN3454.JPG DSCN3460.JPG

kiwijeff, Stogy, enloe and 1 other person like this.
  23. mike bowling

mike bowling

I got the steering column set up for the final time (?) and decided to make the column drop cover match the dash. Couple of stainless bolts- I like it! DSCN3456.JPG DSCN3457.JPG DSCN3458.JPG

cactus1, kiwijeff, Stogy and 3 others like this.
  24. mike bowling

mike bowling

Got a pair of Thunderbird buckets from Ray "onekoolkat" when he moved to his new house ( with a HUGE garage -YES!).
    He told me these used to be in one of his Dad's hot rods, so they're pretty special. I figure I have them on "lend/ lease" if he ever wants them back. Thanks, Ray, Love you Brother! DSCN3451.JPG

Last edited: Jul 26, 2017
    cactus1, kiwijeff, Stogy and 3 others like this.
  25. mike bowling

mike bowling

I'm doing some paint maintenance on the green coupe, and sent the decklid out to be blasted ( chemical entrapment causing blistering in the sun). In the meantime, I put the "Creeper" lid on so I can still blast around. Custom latch. DSCN3495.JPG

kiwijeff, Stogy, brEad and 3 others like this.
  26. mike bowling

mike bowling

One more for the weekend- I asked people a while ago about tail lights- 39 teardrops, or '58 chevy, and stuck the 58's on. I got bulb sockets for them at NAPA ( they were pretty toasted), and wired them up for 1157 bulbs. I'd like to find 2 more red lenses and have LOTS of red back there ( don't need backup lights) Still not 100% into them, but can always change them. DSCN3497.JPG

27. NashRodMan

NashRodMan

Car is looking amazing Mike! Love the seats. Not sure on the 58 lights though, but that is something you gotta decide. To me less is more.

mike bowling likes this.
  28. mike bowling

mike bowling

Thanks-
    Yeah, the lights are kind of big on this car, but I figured once the rear fenders are on ( when/ if ) it might scale them down a bit. The survey I did on them came in at about a 50-50 split , so WTF. Only one piece of a large puzzle.

Stogy, onekoolkat1950 and loudbang like this.
  29. Dino 64

Dino 64
    from Virginia

I like 'em

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

mike bowling and loudbang like this.
  30. bondolero

bondolero

How about some Willys taillights for the comp to see when you are going past ?

mike bowling likes this.