Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods K&N Oil Filters Are Junk

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Gman0046, Jul 22, 2017.

1. Gman0046

Gman0046

Received a call from a friend today who was changing his oil on a 350 SBC, said he drained the oil but could not remove the K&N oil filter that has a nut on the bottom of the filter housing to facilitate removal. He said the largest wrench he had was 15/16 and was too small. Gathered up some one inch and better wrenches and sockets along with a couple of oil filter removal tools and went to help. This K&N oil filter had a one inch nut tacked on to a small metal bracket on the bottom of the filter. The removal tool I usually use fits over the bottom of the filters but due to the K&N nut the tool would not seat on the bottom of the filter. Tried a one inch socket but it wouldn't seat on the K&N rounded nut and the filter wouldn't budge. Superman must have installed this filter.
    Oil filter removals are not rocket science. Whats with this K&N and the half assed rounded one inch nut? Why not use a square sided nut so normal hand tools could remove it? Why make a simple task difficult and charge about double the price of a competitors quality filter? Finally removed the K&N POS with a claw device that tightens and squeezes the filter as you rotate the filter in the removal direction. Needless to say it will be a cold day in Hell before I ever buy one of these K&N abortions.

Gary

Last edited: Jul 22, 2017
  2. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

They're air filters suck, too.

3. Same thing has happened to me also Gary. I won't use another one.

Gman0046 likes this.
  4. 6inarow

6inarow

good info to know. I have a pair of their air filters on my 235 and so far they are OK

bowtie56jw likes this.

5. Hackerbilt

Hackerbilt

Hahahaha....I needed that today! :D

hipster likes this.
  6. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Take them off and check for crap that made it's way through them. That's why they breath better. They allow more air in and that air has dust and grit in it.

7. 3 problems:
    1. too new an engine
    2 .silly spin on filter
    3. new fangled modern hoopla.....
    :D DSCF4230.JPG

8. Torana68

Torana68
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Australia

if its stuck, and you need it off, bash a screwdriver through the side all the way out the other, instant hand hold :)

Last edited: Jul 23, 2017
  9. Gman0046

Gman0046

Over the years there have been a few times I've thought of using a screwdriver but if it doesn't come off then your down to a hammer and chisel. Fortunately I've never had to go that route.
    Due to my experience and other comments, I Googled K&N oil filters and guess what? Others have had difficulty with that half assed rounded one inch nut. What a piss poor design.

Gary

N2hotrods likes this.
  10. upspirate

upspirate

I tried this on a 2.3 Ford motor that I pulled out of my old '29 roadster.
    It was on an engine stand, and I had good access to it, but couldn't get it to budge.
    The screwdriver through the side ripped the canister in half!!! Had to use a chisel at the seam on the base!
    I had the oil changed at Jiffy Lube as I ran out of time on my way to Daytona for the Turkey run....never again!

kiwijeff likes this.
  11. slowmotion

slowmotion

Wait, I thought Fram sucked, now K&N's on the list too?
    I agree K&N is over priced. But I've never had a problem using a 1" 6pt socket on a K&N filter. Always thought it was pretty dang handy on the rare occasion I deal with one.

12. drptop70ss

drptop70ss
    from NY

Removing my first and only K/N oil filter

385.JPG

13. sunbeam

sunbeam

I thought that's why they made those large water pump pliers

lemondana, X-cpe and czuch like this.
  14. i am betting the nut on the bottom is to remove them only......not install them.
    light coat of oil on the gasket and hand tighten only.

15. lonejacklarry

lonejacklarry
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Any of you folks with the removal problems put the filters on yourselves? I've never had a problem with any brand that I put on myself with a little oil on the ring and 1/2 turn after the gasket makes contact.

16. Gman0046

Gman0046

droptop70ss, thats what I'm talking about. K&N a real POS. I only ran into one on a friends car. I never used one and never will.

Gary

17. slowmotion

slowmotion

I think the biggest problem w/K&N is the 1"nut. Guys use a half inch drive ratchet and crank 'em on like they're a lug-nut. Bad Juju...:eek:

18. Gman0046

Gman0046

slowmotion, your probably right. I wonder why the manufacturer never figured that out? You'd think a non rounded 3/4 nut would do the job.
    I'll stick with the easy off NAPA Gold (made by Wix) filters that goes for less then half of what K&N gets. Just paid $6 and change for a NAPA Gold 1060.

Gary

19. it is probably written clear as can be on the side of the box........that nobody reads.

20. Install the new K&N Wrench-Off Oil Filter™. Hand tighten the filter clockwise until the rubber gasket contacts the adapter; then tighten the filter an additional ¾ - 1 turn. 8. Fill the engine with the Lucas® 30WT Plus Engine Oil to the Full or “F” mark on the dipstick.

Elcohaulic, Budget36, Cosmo49 and 9 others like this.
  21. "wrench off"
    "hand tighten"

22. dan31

dan31

Guys ,when a oil filter kicks your ass it's time to call it a day, lol. If they don't come off with just a strap wrench ect, then they where put on too tight ,it happens.

6inarow, Lil32, TagMan and 8 others like this.
  23. Gman0046

Gman0046

Dan31, somedays everything kicks my ass. I just didn't expect it from an oil filter.

Cosmo49 and dan31 like this.
  24. dan31

dan31

^^^^ I hear ya ,lol

25. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

I always use one of those strap wrenches that tighten the web strap the harder you pull. First time I changed the oil in the 350 that was in the Lincoln, the strap wrench wouldn't budge the filter, ended up tearing the can off the base! Two hours later with a hammer, a bigger hammer, two or three chisels, a air chisel, a long bar or two and lots of cussin' and fussin', I finally got the base unscrewed from the engine! Can't remember what kind of filter it was, but it was for sure put on too tight.

Lil32, Lättähattu and upspirate like this.
  26. 1934coupe

1934coupe

I agree. All of the removal problems have been because people don't believe that a little bit of oil on the gasket and hand tight is all that's needed. Ask anybody that has ever met me. Hand tight is hand tight.

Pat

Lil32, Nitroholic, Cosmo49 and 7 others like this.
  27. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Andddd another reason not to convert a flathead to a full-flow system! (I HAD to do it!)

28. Yup, bad install, nothing against K&N.

I had one OT daily that liked to hang on to filters. After removing the first tough one with a Channelock (after seeing a screwdriver would detroy it) I went on to installing some left over skateboard grip tape on the new filters for the next few years I owned it. Made hand removal easy peasy.

Elcohaulic likes this.
  29. txcr13

txcr13

Exactamundo, sir.

nunattax likes this.
  30. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

U don't have large cresant wrench or a pair of channel locks?K&N oil filters are well known for taking a higher pressure than normal and used in a lot of racing apps.

Nitroholic, BigDogSS and Tman like this.