Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Harbor Freight purple spray gun

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by southcross2631, Jul 21, 2017.

1. southcross2631

southcross2631

We were finishing the 57 Chevy wagon shorty project when the Devilbiss finish line paint gun developed a leak. Nobody had a rebuild kit locally. So we ordered a kit , but due to time constraints . Meaning this car needs to go to Iowa on the first of August we took a chance and went to Harbor Freight and bought their purple spray gun and used a coupon to save 20%.
    We had the driver side and tailgate left to paint and clear . So with much apprehension we cleaned it and did a test pattern spray. It comes with a 1.4 tip and it layed down the paint as well as the finish line gun . Except for the little bit of dirt , because I don't have a booth . It is ready to cut and buff .
    For those guys who don't paint a lot this gun will do what you need it to do. I don't know about long term , but right out of the box it works. To all of you haters. This car was shortened when I got it. I just cut all the rust and crappy work that was done when they shortened it. New roof, new 1/4 panels, new floor pans, new rockers, hand built door jambs. Converted from a wagon to a sedan delivery. DSCF3398.JPG

Attached Files:

28 Ford PU, AHotRod, pat59 and 3 others like this.
  2. KoolKat-57

KoolKat-57
    from Dublin, OH

My friend has been using them for a while.
    For the most part they work fine for a while, but at the most in opportune time they will fail and fail big time, and with no warning.
    He now says use 2 or 3 times and then fire up a new one.
    For $9.99 with a coupon they are a cheap useable tool.
    KK

enloe likes this.
  3. slowmotion

slowmotion

Search the Hamb, gets high marks for the most part, & cheap to boot. I've used one for primer and was happy as a clam. Kinda like the Bic Lighter of paint guns.:eek::D

X38 and bondolero like this.
  4. carguy699

carguy699

I had same issue-my binks failed at a bad moment so I bought the purple gum at hf! I didn't expect much but the gun impressed me so much that I went and bought an extra! shoot,for the price you could use it as a throwaway lol!!
    jim!

5. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I picked up several the last time they had the 9.99 sale and from reading about them other places figure that they are good for a short while and then disposable. My old paint gun gives me a fight every time I use it which isn't often anymore and probably needs 50 bucks worth of parts now to work right.

6. Latigo

Latigo

I've had good results as well. Works great for an occasional painter. Like the shorty 57 too. I remember when there were several of those on the road.

7. 55chevr

55chevr

Use it all the time. Those Chinese kids make a nice spray gun for $10.00
    Joe

8. RMONTY

RMONTY

I don't know if the employee at HF was correct but said most products come from Pakistan?

9. Koz

Koz

Just remember, don't throw them in a wash tank. I bought one to use on some primer and it worked great. I threw it in the wash tank afterwards and a bunch of the parts were plated plastic. It melted!

10. Engine man

Engine man
    from Wisconsin

It probably costs more than $9.99 for thinner and time to clean it.

X38 and Hotrodmyk like this.
  11. BigDogSS

BigDogSS
    from SoCal

12. Don't know anything about the purple spray gun but I have bought a few things from them & all was worked pretty good. I did take the gear boxes apart on their 4 1/2 " grinders & a right angle tight space 3/8" drill & grease up the gears as there is very little grease in there & not on the gears. I did mention that problem to the store manager & he said he would forward my message. He also told me that H F is now employee owned.
    About the drill ,a neighbor gave it to me & said he only drilled a couple of holes & it quit working. He said I am always fixing stuff so if I want to fix the drill I could keep it. I thought hell I ain't taking this apart cause then there would be no way they would warranty it so just took it in & told them it only drilled a couple of holes & quit. The manager went & got a new one & gave it to me no questions asked .

13. I bought a H.F. 64 oz. pot paint gun figuring the 56 Chrysler was so big it would be just right for painting it and wouldn't have to keep refilling it. I tried it out on some cardboard 1st to get the pattern right. Man ,it spit sputtered, dripped and leaked every where.I cleaned it up and took it back and they asked did you have problems with it.I said I sure did. No other questions were asked and they refuned my $$$$. I went back and got a purple paint gun with the gage. Shot the roof and it came out nice. I always use them and just throw them away after 3 paint jobs.They are worth it. When I got home I read the reviews on the 64 oz. paint gun. There wasn't one good review on it. one guy went thru 4 of them before giving up. Now I always read the reviews before buying there. The purple gun got some pretty good reviews. Bruce.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2017
    51 BIRD likes this.
  14. southcross2631

southcross2631

It is the first one. With the plastic cup.

15. I use them in class a lot
    I don't get upset if a student ruins a $10 gun

16. That second link shows a detail gun with a 4 oz. cup, but does specify "all metal construction". Kind of like a high capacity airbrush...? Also doesn't appear to be HVLP.

17. Budget36

Budget36

I just got one last week with the flyer...under 10 bucks, cant beat it with all the thumbs up it has gotten

18. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Just bought an extra one today. It is my go-to gun for putting things in epoxy primer that are going to have to sit for a while.

This one was made in Pakistan.

19. southcross2631

southcross2631

So far so good. The 1.4 tip pours the material on and as hot as it gets in my shop . The paint drying in the air before it gets to the car can be an issue.

Bruce Fischer likes this.
  20. Yea it gets hot in Flordia. That's why I moved up here to the mountians but, it did hit 97 here yesterday.Bruce.

21. I use them, bought 2 just in case 1 shit the bed in the middle of painting. The paint cup has a cheap nylon washer, toss that and get a o-ring for it. Take it apart and clean it before use.