Register now to get rid of these ads!

CHEAP and Great Alternative Coil Springs '49 thru '59 Ford and Merc

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Fairlane Dave, Apr 26, 2008.

1. solo_909

solo_909

image.jpg image.jpg There's an easier way to put the coils in. I removed the four bolts holding the inner part of the A-arm to the frame. A lot faster and you don't need to take the ball joint apart.

2. solo_909

solo_909

So I finally found the perfect shock swap to go with the Aerostar springs for a 49-51 Merc. This should also work for any car that has the post mounting brackets on both sides. It's the Gabriel #81406 which is 10.4" in length vs the stock 13.5".

Last edited: Apr 16, 2015
    Kreepea_1 likes this.
  3. Silverado85

Silverado85

Glad those worked for You! FYI - I used the Moog CC 850 variable rate spring (Aerostar ) and combined it with 82026 heavy duty classic front gas shock absorbers in my 1953 country sedan wagon.

4. Silverado85

Silverado85

Wagon stance

Attached Files:

daddio211 likes this.
  5. 29tudor

29tudor

Does anyone know if these will work on a 1958 lincoln
    ? (coils front and back)

6. 55fordradman

55fordradman

What is the best handling in a 55-56 ford Fairlane/CV/Customline compared to using dropped spindles or aerostar springs. I need to replace something but not sure what.. the prior owner heated the springs to lower, and it sounds like aerostar springs and drop spindles would be too much drop. Should I use stock spring replacements and dropped Granada spindles or just put in Aerostar springs ? I have a 3" drop as it is with heated springs and 3" rear blocks. I appreciate the input...

7. stealthcruiser

stealthcruiser

You're gonna' have to try them out, and see what works for YOU, or start with a comparison, of what others have used in this thread, on a similarly equipped install.

The springs are inexpensive, buy 'em, and try 'em over a weekend, or a week of driving.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2015
  8. I have just the Aerostar springs in my 56 and she's pretty low now. Personally I don't want to go any lower and it rides so much better now. Heres a before and after pic IMG_1095.JPG

hans mercman and PapaVolume like this.
  9. 55fordradman

55fordradman

Looks about the same.. thanks. I'll just try the aerostar's first
    IMG_1298.jpg

10. fordsbyjay

fordsbyjay
    from Lafayette

My car sits plenty low enough with just the Aerostar springs. Not sure how low you want to go. I have a smidge over 24" from ground to the front wheel well in the middle of the opening.

[​IMG]

11. 54monarch

54monarch
    from Calgary

Just did first side of my 54 Monarch (Canadian mercury) used aerostar springs. 129.00 cdn at Auto Value. Worked out great. Unfortunately gonna be awhile before she gets a road test.

Attached Files:

12. 54monarch

54monarch
    from Calgary

Kind of hard to see will get better pics. Is 5.5 inches from lip of rim to wheel well.

13. 54monarch

54monarch
    from Calgary

Update in the Springs in my 54 Monarch. Sits way to low. Can't fully turn the wheels. Car looks awesome though. I am going to try changing rims to get more offset and try to install steering stops.

Attached Files:

14. 54monarch

54monarch
    from Calgary

It would have probably worked but it has a 390 and c6 so quite a bit heavier

15. wow, I can see why it's so low, 390-C6 is heavy. I have my aerostar coils and hope to get at it after the Christmas season over.

16. Slopok

Slopok

Is the upper isolator absolutely necessary to stop squeaking? I'm trying to raise mine up slightly as after all these years it seems too low now.

17. nh-lead-man

nh-lead-man

My 52 ht pictured to the left has 2 coils cut in front and 4 in lowering blocks watch out for rail Road tracks and keep your lips close together or your false teeth will pop out after BAM then before DAM

18. Warthog521

Warthog521

On a 55 Ford

Yes.... I read it ALL. I got a little confused ,as there were a LOT of different cars using the parts that were called for + there were some different shock numbers. I researched all that with their manufactures, but I ordered them from Summit.
    Moog CC850 Springs and KYB KG5514 gas shocks $128.91

BEFORE

[​IMG]

AFTER

[​IMG]

Stock spring and Aerostar

[​IMG]

Pickle Forks always rip boots. I bought one of those other style ball joint separators from harbor freight.

[​IMG]

First I had to open up the slot. I used a cut off wheel. When it still didn't work correctly and slipped, I threw it in the corner.

My car has had Granada disc brakes added. In order to get to the spindle to smack it with a 3lb sledge hammer the steering arms must be removed. To get those bolts out the rotors need to be removed.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Smack it HERE:

[​IMG]

Once you put a jack under the LCA, remove the nut the rest of the way and lower the jack...... It will still take a pry bar to get the spring out of the cup on the LCA.

[​IMG]

daddio211 and hans mercman like this.
  19. roddin-shack

roddin-shack

My 51 Ford Convert With Aerostar Coils,and Front End Alignment Looks Good Works Good.

DSCF5882.JPG

BEFORE

DSCF7992.JPG

AFTER

20. I took the Aerostar springs out of my '59, it sat too low. There is the next number up on the Moog chart, the CC851 which is a little longer and has less of a spring rate, closer to stock. I just whacked 1 coil out of my stock springs for now and I like how it sits.
    629-016.JPG

davidh73750 and The.Rev.Earl like this.
  21. roddin-shack

roddin-shack

After reading through this post I noticed there was some confusion as to whether this swap would work on 49-51 Mercs.
    I did the conversion today in my garage 1 man about a 2 hour job, used the stock shocks took it out for a road test without an alignment rode great and steered flawlessly. No issues. Drop is 3 Inches.

DSCF8636.JPG
    BEFORE

DSCF8786.JPG
    AFTER

56longroof and daddio211 like this.
  22. 1st30

1st30
    from dora

23. 1st30

1st30
    from dora

Front. Moog cc850
    Gabriel 82026
    Rear. 1.5 blocks
    Shocks ?
    Stock 1950 crestliner I need help on the rear block hight and Shocks to level out with front. Any help is greatly appreciated

Sent from my SM-N920V using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

24. wicarnut

wicarnut

Thanks for the info part #s

25. Fords have upper coil isolator but only Merc's have a lower isolator. (49-51) Use a stock upper isolator and for the bottome use a foot or so 5/8" dia heater hose slid onto the bottom coil. This will slightly reduce the drop but prevent coil rub noise.

Also, some have reported difficulty with both sides of the car experiencing unequal drop. Dollars to donuts they are not paying attention to coil orientation and positioning - the top is flat and bottom isn't. Upside down is not cool especially if both sides aren't installed the same. Also the coil pocket in the bottom of the A-arm is specially formed to receive the end of the coil needing proper rotation.

MO_JUNK likes this.
  26. On top of the spring, I tape the insulator in place. It is hard to miss the top pocket with a flat ended spring, but it may be possible. I always look up with a flashlight regardless of how many I've done.

MO_JUNK likes this.
  27. Auslander

Auslander
    from Austin, TX

To add my piece of advice here, on my car someone had already gone at the rivets on the passenger side with grinder and a drill, doing a piss poor job. I used a 90º drill and 3 progressively larger drill bits (in my case 5/32 to start, 1/4, and finishing in 3/8) dipped in oil occasionally and it made quick work of the rivets. Replace with hardened 3/8ths nuts and bolts. Provides great access to the the front springs. I know many have gone this route, I did simply because someone had already started down the path, but it works well. Here is what you end up with.

IMG_3126.JPG

Last edited: May 21, 2017
    1949 mercury and hans mercman like this.
  28. Aus-ute

Aus-ute
    from Australia

I have read the whole thread and understand everything.
    Question about spring brands.
    (according to Rockauto)
    The MOOG CC850 is
    Load-1826 lb
    Installed height- 8.75 inches
    Spring rate, lb per inch- 605
    ACDELCO 45H1046 is
    Load rate- 997 lb
    Compressed height- 10 inches
    Both are variable rate springs.
    Both around 11 3/4" free length.
    There doesn't seem to be a direct comparison between the 2 springs, although they are listed as fitting the same vehicle, a 1992 Aerostar V6 RWD.

Is spring rate = load rate?
    Will the ACDELCO spring be much stiffer?

29. MickD

MickD

Sooo... Areostar ay? Not something we saw down here in Oz. (Unless it was branded as something else). Any Ozy members got thoughts on what springs are similar locally ?

30. Aus-ute

Aus-ute
    from Australia

Nothing locally the same MickD. Just had a friend fit the Moogs to a Victoria and it dropped 53mm. Looks awesome now, he said it handles better and feels great. Exchange rate is pretty good at the moment. I'm about to get some...