Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods So, are all your cars traditional?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Roothawg, Jul 19, 2017.

1. I run 400s I have a tendency to break the lighter transmissions. :D

Which reminds me the @raven found 3 Saginaw 4 speeds back east, PA I think, that we can get cheap if anyone is coming this way and wouldn't mind picking them up for us.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2017
    dan31 likes this.
  2. typo41

typo41
    Member Emeritus

That looks likes Charlie's truck, with the illegal V-8

3. 28model32

28model32

Can someone explain a traditional hot rod ? Are we talking drivetrain or is there more than

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

4. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yet you Douglas are as traditional as they come :cool:

Will the congregation please stand and turn to the Book of HAMB, Chapter one, verse one.

5. Roger O'Dell

Roger O'Dell

Depends for here no , elsewhere yes

Chili Phil and GasserTodd like this.
  6. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

I guess I could slip in a photo of my IRS and see if the mods are awake, nah, better not.

7. corncobcoupe

corncobcoupe
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Double dog dare you........
    You're right, nahhh better not. :cool:

8. Ha, way to keep them on their toes. I like it.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Max Gearhead likes this.
  9. You really should read this;

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/guidelines-the-traditional-hot-rod-forum.828348/

Then this;

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/guidelines-the-traditional-custom-forum.828351/

When you are still confused (because it's really only pictures that make for pretty vague rules), then consider this:

Technically, Hamb is all about 1965 and older hot rods and customs, and the "car scene" from that time period. Some would say that to post stuff, it should all be period correct (existing only before 1965). Especially cars should only have parts and be as they were before 1965. It's kind of like Revolutionary war re-enactors, except these guys don't shoot muskets, they they know how to adjust the dwell on a distributer.

Then spend some time reading the forum and you'll see that some things get a pass. You'll see that some people get a pass. You'll see that new people often don't. You'll see that a lot of us that have been here a long time don't. It won't make sense.

But really it's a very liquid, organic definition of the word "traditional".

But most people here roll with it, have a few laughs, learn a lot about old school hot rodding. A lot of old guys are happy to teach us about it, and if you spend some time reading threads you'll get it.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

10. I like WWW's. I currently just own the '41 Chevy ('58 283 v8). Sold the '47 Ford ('49 Merc Flatty) in 2007, and the 59 Elky in 2005. Most of my cars' exterior, and wheels are traditional I guess. The Elky had a 69 vette 427 Big block in it with M/T finned Valve covers.

IM000576 (Medium).JPG Picture 025.jpg OLCC_5 (2).jpg

11. Cars: yes.
    Motorcycles (Ducati 900 SS): No.

Cambusta and lothiandon1940 like this.
  12. flux capacitor

flux capacitor

4 possible cars out of 9, for 3 of us gearheads who share my shop. Ages 71, 45 & 13 . One will fit perfectly at the moment, one is in early stages of gasser build , one is so original itd be a crime & it'll be 100 years old in couple years. But the 4th & easiest , If I ever get the chance , is the eldest' 55 . Hopefully it will someday be closer to traditional , I do hate to think of redoing the 4 wheel discs in favor of drums. But the digital dash will be the first item to go & then the interior. Outside & under hood are fine. Flux. IMG_1797.JPG

Last edited: Jul 20, 2017
    deadbeat likes this.
  13. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

No none of mine are 100 percent traditional,I would like to have one that is but I build with easy to find and cheap parts. Traditional looking with newer drivetrains and brakes is what I like.

Roothawg likes this.
  14. GasserTodd

GasserTodd

None of my cars would ever be considered "traditional hot rods". But thats okay as I dont venture into the "Traditional Hot Rods" section of the HAMB.

None of my cars would ever be considered "Traditional Customs" either, so I stay out of the "Traditional Customs" section too.

I quite like my creature comforts - so Jag front & rear suspension and a SBC/700R4 deal are just fine by me for my cruisers/daily drivers.

What I tend to mock, is when folk see a trend like black wheels for example and think that by removing their mag wheels and radials and going with black rims and crossplies, that they are now traditional rodders.

Mostly, they are just wankers with a mixed theme in their cars, while masquerading as traditional hot rodders and loudly putting others down.

15. As far as I'm concerned, yes!
    IMG_0477.JPG IMG_1053.JPG

16. edcodesign

edcodesign
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

17. edcodesign

edcodesign
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

ct1932ford likes this.
  18. Rare footage of Gomer outing Barney for installing electronic ignition in his Ford.

19. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

Nope. I'm a fan of a wide variety of vehicles and types auto racing. Gary

20. UNSHINED 2

UNSHINED 2

After I order the bias-plys for my 59.....yes, they will all be pretty dag-on traditional....my AV8 will be all pre-49. 41 Desoto= all pre-55. Single consolation will be monoleafs in my lowered Unibody.....

21. Probably 90% of the cars and trucks are traditional in style but are far from being period correct traditional cars,thus the reason Ryan gave use the Hokey Ass Message Board.

The period correct honest to goodness traditional cars are few and far between and on a good day maybe 1o% of the membership,and that's where the traditional Hot Rod & Customs take their place.

Is a '29 hiboy on a pinched '32 frame,with a Flathead & quick change rear axle and a T-5 transmission period correct? most will say no, but in my eye it's traditional looking.

Some will say if everything on the car is era specific it's traditional,use a electronic ignition and the same guy will say no.
    I tend to like the style although I build them to make me happy.HRP

Last edited: Jul 21, 2017
  22. Fedcospeed

Fedcospeed

You never see anything new or learn anything driving down the same road over and over and over.

BamaMav, TimCT, bondolero and 4 others like this.
  23. The 51 GMC I am building will have some modern amenities since it will be my daily instead of dropping 30-40K for a new truck! THAT is a price I can not get my head around! The A sedan will fit in just fine. There is no fun in streetrod parts!

Roothawg likes this.
  24. WiredSpider

WiredSpider

All my cars are traditional inc the daily driver

25. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

On the outside and maybe the inside, mine is mostly traditional. Under the hood, not really, but I'm trying to make it look like it might be. I'm like the hot rodders of old, search out and use the best parts you can find, no matter the age. Kinda like Beaner said, use whatever you can get, mostly free or cheap as possible, stuff other folks don't want anymore.

26. I like to think that a traditional attitude was used in the construction of my car- you know- a little stubborn and determined to do as much myself as I could- I used a professional where my skills were lacking- and adopted the learn as I go - keep doing it over until it was right mentality.
    As far as the actual construction materials and design for the project- well I guess I didn't know then what I know now- so things may have been different . I doubt it though given the original intended use for
    The finished product

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

27. My 48 Plymouth- 85% traditional
    56 belair-90%
    57 vette-70%
    69 Camaro-0%
    69 vette-0%
    04 Silverado- lol

28. Nothing of mine is "perfect" as a traditional rod or custom. The '29 cabriolet has a newer transmission and newer four banger speed equipment, but is close. The '51 has radial wide whites, 16 Bosch injectors, and a tilt steering column, but is otherwise close to traditional in looks. The 29 closed cab has evolved from street rod to be much more traditionally appearing, but is stuck with four wheel disk brakes and radial tires for now.

29. My old 33 pickup was all traditional except for the 5 speed trans. My 34 coupe has more modern amenities such as radial tires, alternator, front disc brakes and a 1967 Muncie 4 speed trans. Oh! and my coupe also has plastic coated wiring.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  30. most if not all are original as built from the factory....very little mod's....the mod guy's keep me going....with the dis-guarded stock stuff........