Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods So, are all your cars traditional?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Roothawg, Jul 19, 2017.

1. Roothawg

Roothawg

All of my cars are built in the traditional hot rod/custom vein.

I have been pondering a different type of build lately(a more modern) and it is really hard for me to even wrap my mind around it. Definitely out of my comfort zone. Not saying it's wrong, just different for me.

So, are all of your cars traditional? Or do you have a non-hamb friendly hot rod in the shadows?

Root

canyonrods, wicarnut and Moriarity like this.
  2. Nope, but the first one was. There was no "traditional" in 1960, just hot rods.

3. Pretty much all of mine have non traditional parts. Oh well, I build them the way I want them....not trying to live up to someone else's standard.
    Still like the old time stuff though.

4. Sorry to say, but almost. Besides the 62 Tbird & 62 Econoline truck, Im looking for something from the 70's with disc brakes as my next project. Looking to recreat my 1st hot rod , should I dare say it , a V8 Pinto. Let the bashing begin.

5. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

All three of my projects wouldn't pass the traditional test and only my roadster (1-800) has a beam axle and it is also fiberglass so I'm guessing many would classify it as a kit car but I personally have always considered them as hot rods due to engine and trans choices.
    My 66 Suburban and 67 Nova have full independant suspension, power r&p, coilovers, four wheel disc brakes, etc.
    And the Nova has late Corvette IRS also so besides not being traditional it's not even HAMB worthy:(.

6. Chavezk21

Chavezk21

Body and interior yes, Drivetrain no. 6.0liter ls and 4l60, 4 wheel disc brakes, Mustang 11 front suspension with truck arm rear. Should drive and handle very well.

7. Well.. they're my tradition but not all that HAMBy. I have a Porsche that is good on date range but they don't like those funny little furrin cars here. My 51 GMC might be fine but doesn't fall in a tight square (although no modern parts) and 2 others that I have are good but mostly factory so not "hot rods" just factory high performing for their era - 41 and 57.
    It's an awesome place to hang out and chat but we just have to know what to chat about.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

8. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

Since others have confessed their sins I might as well, my steel 35 tub has EFI :eek: The price of gas down here along with a good deal on engine and auto made the decision easier.
    My 46 Olds sedanette is similar along with a late model suspension and brake upgrade. However everything is hidden from view and what you do see is faux.:oops: Built in the spirit of the HAMB.
    Apart from that, the HAMB is a great place to hang out and chat with like minded enthusiasts and see what everyone else is building or driving. Out of respect for the HAMB I won't post my OT mods.

deadbeat, wicarnut and 1959Nomad like this.
  9. Dago 88

Dago 88
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

10. robracer1

robracer1

I'm pleading the fifth

41 C28 and Doctorterry like this.
  11. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

All of my cars are traditional. My 40 ford has a 331 caddy with a horne intake and 4 strombergs, 40 trans and rear, 40 brakes and a dropped axle. has bias ply tires.[​IMG]

My 61 corvette has shaved door handles, extra tail lites and a 58 buick grille. solid cammed small block with a man a fre, mallory dual point and a 4 speed. also bias ply tires.[​IMG]

My 55 chev hardtop was customized in 1961 and has a 364 nailhead, 3spd od 3x2's and a mallory dual point and a generator. and bias ply tires[​IMG]

My 55 sedan was customized in 64 by the A bros and Jack Florence. 57 283 3x2's and a 3 speed. also bias ply tires.
    [​IMG]
    My 61 impala has a 348 with 6x2's cal custom tube grille 61 pont t lites (I ran lees in it for years before) drum brakes all around and bias ply tires.
    [​IMG]
    I have 1 off topic car (missed by 1 year) but it is more traditional than most other cars here . it is a 66 ss396 chevelle. it has a solid cammed 454, dual point mallory, double pumper holley, 4 speed, 8 track pioneer supertuner. and Bias ply tires on vintage cragar ss wheels[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 20, 2017
  12. No. but then again I don't always eat just chocolate ice creme or go out with just blondes. This variety thing is kind of catchy.

anthony myrick, rhtfo, Hubnut and 4 others like this.
  13. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

Yes.
    Not counting everyday drivers.

Guys. Even muscle and 60's cars are traditional as long as they don't have new major components.

Deano Niederkrom and wicarnut like this.
  14. mlagusis

mlagusis

My 58 Edsel is and my 31 Chevy (project) will be. My next project after my 31 will not be HAMB worthy by date alone. I plan on building a 67 Chevelle two door hardtop. Small block with a 4 speed, rubber rake, black steel wheels with chrome center caps just lie the car I had in high school.

allredskylar and wicarnut like this.
  15. HiHelix

HiHelix

16. If this were the Westminster Dog Show, (in many ways it is, whether your criticizing a dog for having misshapen ankles or a car for using a rear end that is only 30 years old, what's the difference), my car would have been hauled off to the dog pound, I would mess with an OT car in a minute, it would just have to be pre-1973 (Hagerty ins cut off date).

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

17. The '57 is the most trad car I have.
    OT '72 El Camino parts chaser: rectangle port 454, M21, 4.11 12 bolt.
    Like Mark, missed it by 1 year, '66 Olds Cutlass.
    Son's bike - Honda TL125

31hotrodguy likes this.
  18. bowie

bowie
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Pretty well all my junk is true to the old ways. I guess the exceptions would be my OT '69 GTX that I've had since 1973 with it's radial tires, a '69 Road Runner project car , two '68 BB Vette convert projects , and a '73 911T project car witch is the only FI old machine I possess. Besides my wife's daily and my '01 Lightning that about sums me up.

19. 2935ford

2935ford

My rodster and 32 pickup are visually but my 1919 Dort.......well!
    ac 004a.jpg

tb33anda3rd, bct, brad2v and 4 others like this.
  20. wicarnut

wicarnut

Attached Files:

Cambusta, Kan Kustom, clunker and 2 others like this.
  21. Roothawg

Roothawg

My problem is I like em all. Therein lies the problem. Sometimes, I wish I was a brand loyal/year loyal guy only collecting one particular model. Nah, I'll take one of each please.

kmrumedy, dan31, clunker and 6 others like this.
  22. lodaddyo

lodaddyo

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 20, 2017
    clunker likes this.
  23. squirrel

squirrel

They're not hamb-unfriendly, if that's what you mean.

24. No, I don't believe they are. A few are close if you squint and tilt your head sideways. They are however "traditionally" cheap, odd ball and never quite finished.
    I secretly crave British and German sports cars and anything Mopar.

25. I like the simple styles and would like to think they are traditional looking. HRP

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

26. KoolKat-57

KoolKat-57
    from Dublin, OH

Kinda sorta!
    Most would say yes, but we know better!
    KK

27. The 39 guy

The 39 guy

No, but I hope to get them all into a traditional look some day.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  28. The cars that I build are just old cars. I have built things the same since the beginning for me, everyone's cast off parts and whatever I happened to own at the time. I don't know that they count as traditional they are just old cars that no one else wants.

29. Gman0046

Gman0046

How can all these street rods with 350TH transmissions be called traditional when the 350TH didn't come out until 1969 and the HAMB cut off is 1965?

Gary

Bandit Billy likes this.
  30. Since I tried to view the link- and it's been ModZapped - I have to trust that it's OT!
    Dang, maybe pm me a pic or two. Sounds cool

"If it ain't broke - fix it till it is"