Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 30 Ford Model A 4Banger Roadster

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by donramon, Jul 17, 2017.

1. donramon

donramon

Hi everyone, after a very long time i will finaly start with my model a project.

the base is a very stock 30 roadster, a while back i removed the fenders, bumpers and skirts for a little bit of a hot rod feeling. so now i will tell you all the plans i have in mind for it and you are very welcome to share your opinions, doubts or tips and tricks with me.
    im swiss, forgive my english or in case i do something wrong in the forum, i am very inexperienced in forums.

im planing to build the car on 32 framerails with 32 grill, no channeling. because i just love the look of these rails. not sure about the crossmembers, i think i need all three from a model a...

i want to keep my four banger engine, but tune it with a roof 101 cyclone head, which i already have and this head was something like a initial ignition to start with the project. and of course a few other upgrades.

then my most importent questions are about the chassis, brakes, steering and wheels.
    my desired components are on the front: dropped 5 inch i beam from magnum, dual flex springs from posies, bendix style brakes 37-48 from speedway (need modifications right?), 33/34 ford 17inch wire wheels, split my 30 wishbones, bend the spindles of my 30 ford. i am really into a cowl steering box and with friction shock absorbers. and on the rear: my 30 rearaxle, but i don't know what brakes would fit with hydraulic brakes and 17 inch wire wheels.

so what do you guys think?

i thank you very much in advance and im looking foreward to hearing your thoughts.

cheers ramon

Attached Files:

edcodesign, clunker and chryslerfan55 like this.
  2. flatford39

flatford39

That is a real "GOW JOB" in my mind. Looks great.

donramon likes this.
  3. Sounds good. Why not just drop your axle and what are your plans for a transmission?

donramon likes this.
  4. brady1929

brady1929

Cool roadster!

donramon likes this.

5. edcodesign

edcodesign
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Cool car, great shot ! FAS ?

donramon likes this.
  6. 5" drop axle is way over kill, I wouldn't go more than 4", but 3" would be even more correct for the look you're shooting for. Splitting the wishbones is unnecessary because you're keeping the original drive line, it's a simple set up and works very well as Ford designed it, or you can try to find a '32 wishbone and K-member to get the more "modern" wishbone set up. Model A center crossmember will not reach across the '32 rails. Front and rear ones will be fine. As someone who has installed cowl steering before, I will just say "don't". It's way more work than you realize which requires a super sturdy mount that anchors on the frame rails, and again since you're keeping it a banger powered car, it's not needed. An F1 steering gear will fit in the original location with a few modifications and will feel like power steering compared to the original gear. There is already friction shocks on the car from the factory.

clunker and donramon like this.
  7. Remember the Model A rear cross member mounts the spring over the axle and the '32 mounts the spring behind it. You might want to run a '32 rear end and a '32 rear cross member (I think that combination will put everything in the right place for your model A body but be sure to check me out. If you run the '32 center K member you can run a Model B transmission behind the Model A engine. The Model B transmission can use the V8 gear sets. You can also buy an adapter to run a '32-39 V8 transmission behind the Model A engine. The '32 center K member will take a '32 brake pedal assemble and that might be a good start to your pedals. Attached is a picture from my '32 showing how I mounted a '39-'48 master cylinder behind the K member in my '32. Most people use hydraulic brakes from 1940-48 Fords but you need adapters to run the wire wheels (see http://www.mtcarproducts.com/productsgrid.html). Running the Lincoln type brakes is better but more expensive (see http://www.mtcarproducts.com/Brakes.html). I don't know your budget or the availability of parts in Switzerland so these suggestions might not make sense for you.

Charlie Stephens Card1 032.jpg

donramon likes this.
  8. donramon

donramon

Yeah well because I want to keep most of my '30 chassis parts original, and build a complete new chassis, you never know with our swiss law..
    and for the transmission, like Charlie says, a model B or V8 would be an option...but i really don't know yet.

9. donramon

donramon

Yes I read that alot, don't go more than 4'', but I saw that rollin car of steadfast mfg and that's exacly the look i want:

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum...adster-hot-rod-street-rod-32-chassis.1013077/

what do you think? I know I have to notch the frame for the springs but are there more contras?

Good point about the wishbones, so i go with the '32 wishbones and K-member. but do I have no problems with the clearence of the car because of the depth?

Yeah I know cowl steering is alot of work and it is complicated, because here in Switzerland it is not allowed to weld on such old cars. But that's something i can decide when I have done most of the chassis work.
    I keep the F1 steering in mind.

Ah ja, mine has no shocks, was that an option? do you know where i can find some nice looking shocks? doesn't have to be original.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2017
  10. donramon

donramon

What does FAS mean?

11. donramon

donramon

Okay I will do some research about the rear end, my goal is to use my '30 axle and maybe weld on some brackets for the springs with the '32 cross member? Or do I still have the problem with the brakes? I read that the spring hits the backing plate with the model A axle. Correct me if i'm wrong.
    That sound very good, i will look for a Model B or '32-39 transmission. Your idea with the master cylinder is also very nice thanks for the picture.

I like the Lincoln type brakes, well in case of safety I won't save money and you know maybe, we are a country with many mountains and alp passes, so the brakes has to be very good. Shipping overseas is no problem mostly.

12. edcodesign

edcodesign
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Friday art show, on the Hamb, I would like to draw it.

13. donramon

donramon

Ah cool, yes sure feel free to draw it. Do you have a link? Here are some more pics:

Attached Files:

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  14. ModelAPunk

ModelAPunk
    from Buffalo NY

Wow, that looks great! It's a Nice early style hot rod! Sounds like you have good plans for it. Can't wait to see the updates!

donramon likes this.
  15. modelAsteve

modelAsteve

You don't have to throw a bunch of $ into the project to have a really great fun car!
    Looks like you're there to me!

donramon likes this.
  16. edcodesign

edcodesign
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Cool will do, 2-3 FAS from now, hope I do it justice. Thanks, Ed.

donramon likes this.
  17. donramon

donramon

Does any one know the difference between a model B and the V8 K-member? is there a differene at all?

18. There is no difference between the Model B and the Model 18 (V8) K members. The anti-chatter rods were at a different spacing for the two engines but the K member has holes to accommodate both.

Charlie Stephens

19. donramon

donramon

Okey perfect, thank you Charlie!