Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods clear coat over acrylic urethane

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Beep, Jul 17, 2017.

1. I have been told that there is no need to apply clear coat over a single stage acrylic urethane paint. I am using Sherman Williams DIMENSION ACRYLIC URETHANE in 57 Ford Colonial white paint.

It looks great, but I want that deep look so I am considering adding a coat or two of clear acrylic urethane.

What say you experts?

Thanks
    Beep

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  2. metalman

metalman

No clear, just make sure there is enough paint on there to color sand and buff it. It will look as deep as white can look.
    IMHO big risk clearing over white, any specks of dust, bugs, smears from wiping ect will magnify under that clear. FWIW I never clear coat over a solid, non metallic paint, even on my high dollar builds. It's the prep before and the effort buffing after that gives the depth.

Tman, tb33anda3rd and Crazy Steve like this.
  3. Yep, see above.....

4. Dang, was hoping for yes, but you guys no much more about it that I do.

TKS guys

5. flatford39

flatford39

Single stage means single stage. How many coats does it have??? If there is enough material on it than all you need to do is color sand and buff.

6. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Speaking of amount of material, how much Single stage acrylic urethane is needed to allow for color sanding and buffing?

Do you know or would you only be guessing?

I'm going to be spraying BASF RM Uno single stage acrylic urethane and the company says one lighter coat and one wet coat will provide coverage and high gloss.

7. oldolds

oldolds

Just a guess, I would put on at least one to two more so you have something to sand and buff.
    Two coats might be ok for a good painter on a paint it and drive it paint job. Once all the reducer evaporates you might be wishing you put more on.
    I have gone to paint demonstrations. The rep will show you how to paint a car with as little paint as possible to save money. They look great that night, even better after a few beers. I am not usually impressed when I see the car a couple days later.

8. Larry, i always do four, three for the car and one for the floor.:D
    four coats applied right gives you plenty to rub and buff and still good protection for the car.

Tman likes this.
  9. flatford39

flatford39

I always do 4 coats. It gives you something to work with. 2 coats won't cut it on my experience and 3 probably will but 4 is the insurance coat.

10. indyjps

indyjps

Thoughts on mixing 1/2 color, 1/2 clear (or some %) for the final coats in solid color urethane.

I'm no pro, always trying to learn more, love shooting paint. Last single stage enamel I shot was 1/2 black 1/2 clear on the final coat and came out great.

11. Bugguts

Bugguts

I am a pro, and.....
    I always follow the manufacturers directions. Paint is too expensive to redo, along with the extra work to re-prepare. The technical data sheets (directions ), Will tell you how many coats and the mil thickness of a singe coat of applied product. I use Sikkens, it tells me to apply 2-3 coats of color and 2 coats of clear unless color sanding and buffing hard. Then they say to apply 3 coats of clear, as you would be removing essentially 1 coat of thickness from sanding
    and buffing. If you don't get directions, I would not use it and I would not try my own concoctions.

12. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Thanks guys, it's a plan. I'll just follow the manufacturers recommendation for time between coats on the data sheet.

If I know I will shoot 4 coats
    then I can try not too shoot too much going for coverage on each coat and get runs :eek: :D

Any other tips on things I might need to do between coats ?
    I Will be spraying the Uno SS AU in Washington Blue.
    Larry

13. metalman

metalman

I've been using Metalux high solids single stage for the last few years, been real happy with it. 2 coats is fine, good coverage if I don't plan on buffing (frames, suspension parts, ect), on the body I know I'm buffing I"ll shoot 3 coats, if it looks good that's it. For some reason the 4 coat always seems to have more peel and sometimes runs:eek:, always seems to be more work to buff then if I stop at 3. I'm pretty aggressive when it comes to sanding/ buffing but rarely bust thru.
    DSC_0022.JPG I just did these 32 Vicky doors, 3 coats.

Tman and Blue One like this.
  14. Donuts & Peelouts

Donuts & Peelouts
    from , CA