Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical stupid question. what type of metal are the 1937-1939 Ford bumpers?

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by mjeds, Jul 16, 2017.

1. mjeds

mjeds

working on this 1939 Ford, as stated in my other posts, this car was about 70% done when I purchased it.

Of the things that need to be done are the bumpers, I got a line locally on some original 1939 Bumpers, front and rear, haven't gone to see them yet, but will be this week.

The bumpers are badly rusted and pitted (from the pictures I have seen).. I plan on powder-coating them to match the paint, as I am not a fan of chrome, so they will be stripped and restored.

I would like to learn how to do a lot of this work myself, rather than shipping things off to a company, so I would like to gather up some garbage metal pieces to practice on.

does anyone know what type of metal the original bumpers are? Pot Metal, Steel, Aluminum?

Last edited: Jul 16, 2017
  2. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yup. Have them sand blasted to remove all of the rust and old plating. Weld up all of the pits, and grind smooth. Repeat as necessary until they can take a polish.

Send them out for powder coat.

3. Not a very technical description but I have always thought of them as spring steel, a real bear to straighten.

Charlie Stephens

LOU WELLS likes this.

4. mjeds

mjeds

thanks guys,

5. flatford39

flatford39

Yeah just make sure they are straight because they are a PIA to straighten.

6. mjeds

mjeds

thanks, I am going to see them this week, if they are banged up I will likely pass, for all the effort to repair and restore I can buy a set of reproduction bumpers and just have them powder-coated for about the same price when you factor in my time and any cost to fix my errors.

7. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yup.

Many consider their time to be free. I don't, and mine is limited.

I tend to only make unique things these days. If it is already produced, I tend to just buy it. I look at items not in terms of dollars, but in hours or days of pay at my regular job. If something is worth a day's labor at my day job, versus a month of weekends in labor at home, I just buy it.

Hnstray, i.rant and Special Ed like this.
  8. mjeds

mjeds

I'm the same way to a point.. While I like to learn things, there is a point where my time is more valuable to me than wasting it doing something where the results will not be what I want, and purchasing a finished product would.

I firmly believe that there is nothing I cannot learn, but I do accept my limitations and understand that just because I learned how to do it, doesn't mean I have the talent to execute those teachings. I know for example how to paint, but the fact is I know I suck at painting, I've never been happy with the results of anything I have painted. Where electrical and mechanical work I am very good at, and I would rather do my own wrenching or wiring on a vehicle than take it to a shop.

56premiere likes this.
  9. Be sure the reproductions are not mild steel, which they probably are. The idea of having bumpers is to protect the car.

Charlie Stephens

10. sawbuck

sawbuck
    from 06492 ct

not a fan of chrome ??

X38 likes this.
  11. V8 Bob

V8 Bob
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Painted (color) bumpers just look wrong on old cars, especially Fords, imo. Why not just save your money and forget about the bumpers? Or look at polished SS nerf bars that are very reasonable and will give some protection. :)
    What's your real issue with chrome?

12. mjeds

mjeds

only looks wrong if you don't know how to do it right..

just not a fan of chrome, never have been. While there are vehicles that look good with it, it is not my taste, I put up with it on my motorcycle because it's too costly IMO to powder coat all the little parts.

But for the car, the only chrome parts on the exterior at this point are the mirrors and the bezels around the tail lights, both will be replaced shortly, and when the bumpers come in, they will be powder coated in line with my paint scheme. The wheels are polished Boyd Retro Series, they don't look too bad, and coloring them would look odd, so they will stay..

This is a smoothed out street rod build, not a restore to factory look.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2017
  13. alchemy

alchemy

Oh, that makes it ok. As long as they coordinate with the Boyd wheels.

14. mjeds

mjeds

I can't tell if you being sarcastic or not..

as I said at this point the car has no chrome other than the mirrors and the tail light bezels, the car is all House of Kolor Candy Apple Red (ick), and that will be changing as well, really not a fan of bright red one-tone paint either. I will be doing a two-tone, probably black and crimson red.

The headlight bezels are painted to match and the body is smoothed with no chrome trim, all the trim mounting locations have been filled and smooth, as have the hood and grille ornament locations

The wheels are basic polished cast wheels, nothing really fancy IMO, but they are not chrome so frankly again IMO, chrome bumpers and trim with polished wheels looks a bit off.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2017
  15. williebill

williebill

You do know that this is the HAMB, right?

Oh, and yeah, he was being sarcastic.

16. mjeds

mjeds

sorry for being a little dense, but not really sure what you mean...

This is a message board/forum for information on gassers, retro mods, restores, street rods, etc. correct?

HAMB = Hokey Ass Message Board. .

guess there is some underlying message in there I don't quite grasp, one of the problems with being a black and white analytical person with no sense of humor I guess.

17. The HAMB is dedicated to spreading the gospel of traditional hot rods and kustoms to hoodlums world wide. That's right; TRADITIONAL (NOT THE STUFF IN RED ABOVE. If you've come here to discuss anything other than Hot Rods or Customs built in a style representative of 1965 or before, you've come to the wrong forum.

Even if you have come here for all the right reasons, don't expect posting to be easy. We don't cater to new fellas unless they show a dedication to spreading this tradition of ours first. We welcome young, old, foreign, and all; but our original members and our staff expect a certain level of respect and an effort to keep things true and on topic.

Maybe you are an old fart with a past. Maybe you are one of the guys that started this tradition we cherish. We built this place for you and your posts mean the world to us. Hop on and introduce yourself. This is your board.

Still reading? Then you must be cut out for this, right? We recommend you read some more. Check out all the forums, develop an understanding for how things work around here, learn the "do's"; and "dont's"; The key to a happy HAMB newbie is to understand the joint BEFORE you begin posting.

We have very few written rules here on the HAMB and that's the way we like it, but we won't hesitate to dump disruptive posters, ego freaks, or shit talkers. We are all here to learn and teach - please keep your other prerogatives on the sidelines.

18. mjeds

mjeds

ok so I guess I don't understand the meaning of traditional hot rods and customs, vs. restoring or street rod.

please don't bite my head off..

I purchased a 1939 Ford Standard Sedan that was "modernized" to a degree, I searched on Google looking for answers to some questions I had and came across the HAMB.

if my questions are off-topic or out of line, my apologies, I am merely trying to get some answers so I can complete this car and make it drivable before the end of the summer (as my kid thinks it would be a kick to be dropped off on the first day of school in it).

I am simply here to learn and get answers.

19. That which I posted is from
    The H.A.M.B.: Rules & Guidelines
    It is the first thing listed n the Introduce yourself section - https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/forums/new-to-the-h-a-m-b-introduce-yourself-here.18/
    Now re read this - If you've come here to discuss anything other than Hot Rods or Customs built in a style representative of 1965 or before, you've come to the wrong forum.
    If you do not know that "Street Rods etc." are Not representative of 1965 or before, then do a bunch of reading here until you get what it is all about.
    I have nothing against the other types of Rods myself, but that is NOT what the HAMB is about.

20. mjeds

mjeds

I read it, as I said I guess it is simply a misunderstanding of what a traditional hot rods and customs, vs. restoring or street rod.

This is my first experience with this type of vehicle, have always wanted an "American Graffiti" type of hot rod, specifically a 5 window coupe, unfortunately I discovered I can't really drive a chopped 5 (or 3) window coupe due to my size and a disability I have, so I settled for the Tudor, as it is very comfortable for a semi-daily driver and weekend show car.

To me Street Rod and Hot Rod are one in the same, customized pre-1960s era vehicles with big V8s.

I will reserve my questions for information about parts and function, and leave my styling tastes out of the treads.

21. mjeds

mjeds

how so, the '32 5 window in American Graffiti car had no chrome bumpers on it, chrome wheels yeah, but nothing else.. (engine not withstanding, and I don't mind chrome motor accents).

[​IMG]

and I never said I wanted that exact car.. I love the '32 - '34 coupes, but my ideal one would be Blacked out with full fenders, Sadly I cannot fit or comfortably drive one.

[​IMG]

22. mjeds

mjeds

you're right, it was someone's "knock off" , but close enough to make my point

[​IMG]

23. sawbuck

sawbuck
    from 06492 ct

your point makes no sense..what does a bumperless 32 have to do with a 39 with painted bumpers?

24. mjeds

mjeds

my point was in reference to x38's comment about liking the '32 Coupe in American Graffiti and not liking chrome, which he has apparently deleted..

25. mjeds

mjeds

this thread has gotten very side tracked..

I got the answers I needed about the bumpers, I'm dropping off now..

26. Bye. Enjoy your ride.