Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Iowa Folks - How hard is it to get a title for a car that doesn't have one?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by RacerRick, Jul 17, 2017.

1. RacerRick

RacerRick

Just like the title says: how hard is it to get a title? I see that bonded titles are available, but can a non state resident get one?

There is a car I would like to get that is in Iowa, but to get it over the boarder to Canada where I live, I would need a title for the car, and it currently doesn't have one due to the car sitting in a field for many many years.

2. woodiewagon46

woodiewagon46
    from New York

Rick, from what I have read on this site, it all depends on your state DMV. In New York you have to turn over your first born child. Some have said that it was easy and some say forget it, call your DMV.

3. You'll have to ask the Canadian motor department if they would accept a bonded title. My guess is that they would not. I sold a 48 Ford pickup to a really nice guy in Canada- but they were pretty sticky about the title and proper stamps etc.

Next idea would be seeing if you can get it "impounded" by a tow yard and "make sure you're the high bidder" when it gets auctioned.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

4. RacerRick

RacerRick

I checked the Iowa DMV's site and they do not have anything about non residents getting a title. I would need one to be able to import the car as a car, and not as parts. US CBP and Canadian Customs only care that there are no liens against the vehicle and its a valid state issued title. I have already called them both.

I just really need to find out about the State issued bonded title. I may have to see if something in the state can get the title for me, like a service or something like that.

I will never buy another car out of New York that doesn't have a title, even though cars don't need them if they are pre-73 and not on the road. Took nearly a year to get the last car across the boarder.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2017

5. I will not buy car without a title no matter how good the deal is,I went through that nightmare a few years ago.

I wish you luck if you just gotta have the car. HRP

Bruce Fischer likes this.
  6. FORDY 6

FORDY 6

Get on the Iowa DMV website...print out the forms. You will also need a bill of sale and get a bond, probably through an insurance company.

7. blue 49

blue 49
    from Iowa

I had to get a "Specially Constructed Vehicle" title in 2009 but I understand they follow the SEMA guidelines now. I think either way, the car needs to be a driver when inspected.

Gary

8. Papas32

Papas32
    from No.Ia.

I've got a truck right now going through the bonded title procedure and blue 49 is right. The inspector looks at the vehicle to get the bond application going, but you do not get a clear title until it's running and inspected.

9. alchemy

alchemy

Would it be easier to take the car apart, bring it home in a couple different truckloads as "parts", then get your own bonded title in Canada?

10. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Have it hauled to Kansas, where it only takes a bill of sale and an inspection by the Highway Patrol/DMV to make sure that the bill of sale info matches the VIN. Some cooperative resident of Kansas would have to be named as the buyer on the BOS, and a title would be in their hands a few weeks later. Then the Kansas resident could "sell" you the car, along with the title.

11. xracer40

xracer40

12. Rick, Unless things have changed or different than Alberta I sold a 30 coupe hot rod without a title. I gave him a copy of the registration and a notorized bill of sale, with numbers on it and he had no trouble that I know of getting it into Alberta.

13. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

What make and model is it. There are lots of people who have extra titles laying around. But they don`t tell every Tom, Dick and Harry they have them.

14. My 1956 Buick Special station wagon came out of Ok. then a guy from New York bought it. He never transferred the title or got it notarized{which was to be done back in Ok} No one here would notarize it because it wasn't done in Ok. at the time of the sale. Luckly for me the girl at my auto parts store was a notary. I gave here $10 to do it and went down to the D.M.V. and they gave me a new title on the spot. Bruce.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2017
    fourspeedwagon likes this.
  15. RacerRick

RacerRick

Its a 1957 Plymouth 2 dr wagon. Rare car. Any Kansas resident want to help me out? lol

I spoke to the border, and as long as it is a valid state issued title of ownership, they are happy. The US side is actually the difficult side, as they will not export it as a vehicle without some sort of ownership or registration. If it is exported as parts only, it will be flagged and you will never be able to get it on the road.

16. Good luck on getting it and being a station wagon guy .I would like to see a picture of it when you get a chance.Thanks.Bruce.

fourspeedwagon likes this.