Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration 32 sees daylight again

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by The 39 guy, Jul 17, 2017.

1. The 39 guy

The 39 guy

Had a fun Sunday with some friends moving this 32 from a long time storage. IMG_2209R.jpg
    I have not been able to take part in very many of these barn find type expeditions so I glad that I was able to help with this one.

IMG_2210R.jpg
    Duane on the left is the proud owner of this 32. It has been in his family for many decades. It was the only means of transportation for his family for many years and his father used to haul refrigerators on the back bumper for his refrigeration business.Hi mother put that dent in the right side and never drove again.....
    IMG_2211R.jpg
    Some early flatheads, a 32 rear end and some fenders to replace the well used and and often repaired originals.
    IMG_2212R.jpg
    When you sit virtually undisturbed for 15 years you get a little dusty. Good news is there were no signs of mice or rats.
    IMG_2213R.jpg
    Another shot of the engines.
    IMG_2214R.jpg
    The light at the end of the 25 year tunnel
    IMG_2215R.jpg
    Lots of parts. Origin and usefulness to be determined later
    IMG_2216R.jpg
    Lots of wheels. I counted 12. The tires on the car were flat as they can get so we had to put some rollers on it to move it.
    IMG_2217R.jpg
    We had to move the parts out of the way to get the car out.
    IMG_2218R.jpg
    I spied this 40 trans in the parts mix. I want to look inside that puppy and see if it has some usable parts....
    IMG_2219R.jpg
    Daylight at last! IMG_2219R1.jpg
    Closeup of a happy owner
    IMG_2220R1.jpg
    The owner plans to restore the car to original.
    IMG_2221R.jpg
    This looks like a very clean almost rust free car. A rare thing theses days.
    IMG_2222R.jpg
    It probably is so rust free because it was last licencesnsed in 1965 and has been in dry storage in central Washington all of this time.
    IMG_2223R.jpg
    Tucked away in the trailer for the trip to it's new home and future restoration.
    IMG_2226R.jpg
    It took two trucks and trailers to get all of this stuff transported. It was a fun day with cooperative weather at only 80 degrees . Had some good fun with some old and some new friends. Just had to share it with the HAMB community which think will appreciate it.

zeph4057k, Stogy, 41 coupe and 22 others like this.
  2. I consider any Deuce that has been sitting undisturbed and hidden away as long as that car to be a Holy Grail,sure it's a family piece but it's rare in these days and times to be involved in unearthing such a original car.

And a day with friends makes it a lot of fun,looking forward to seeing more as the car is brought back to life.

I even like the old finish. HRP

dana barlow and triman62 like this.
  3. alchemy

alchemy

That looks like a truly fun way to spend a day.

We moved a 40 Tudor from a barn to my garage a week ago, but it wasn't near as much fun. Even after a trip to the car wash on the way home, the thing still stunk like mice and barn swallows.

Stogy and triman62 like this.
  4. MAD 034

MAD 034
    from Washington

I wonder how it would look if a guy "preserved" it vs. "restoring" it. Might be kinda cool IMHO. A damn nice deuce for sure.

5. brady1929

brady1929

Great story. Congrats.

6. The 39 guy

The 39 guy

I figured you would enjoy this post Danny! Duane did recall some interesting stories of his time with family in this car. One I found interesting was the one he told about dropping his dads wrenches one at a time out of a crack in the right rear quarter window. Said he got in a lot of trouble for that.
    I will probably not be involved too much in this restoration but if I see something worth sharing I will be sure to post it up.

40 years ago that had been sitting at the edge of a wheat field for many years......I can still remember that foul smell and the mess.

I did not take any interior shots of the car but as it sits it will need considerable work to make it habitable. This car would certainly show how one man kept an old ford running and useful for many years as he used it for his only transportation for work and family up until 1965. As a survivor it would certainly give folks a look into that part of it's history but personally I think that pictures and Duane's reciting of his memories of the car would suffice to tell that story while his life long dream to restore the car will fulfill his needs and wants for the car. Can you imagine what conversations would come from seeing this car at a show or run with old Frigidaire refrigerator lashes to the bumper?
    IMG_2209R1 copy.jpg
    Two pieces of all thread protrude through the body at the arrows. They were used for securing the refrigerators. The rear bumper was also reinforced to carry the weight. I wonder if the spare was removed to accommodate the fridge.

7. The 39 guy

The 39 guy

Int32R.jpg
    One of the participants in this adventure just sent me this picture of the interior. Thanks Steve!

8. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

9. MOTOV8N

MOTOV8N
    from Manitoba

10. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

Wow, they are still out there. Amazing stuff!

11. Nostrebor

Nostrebor

12. woodz

woodz
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

13. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

An 'older' friend of mine rescued a '32 Tudor (Model B) from a Santa Clara barn in '52. The car was dirty, 1/2" of fine dust covered the entire thing.
    I was 'elected' to help wash it, and was amazed to see the green body against those nice black fenders!
    Johnny Perreira was 15, I was 10.
    He would later astound me with its performance...after his Dad built the 4 banger up with goodies from Cragar, Rajo, and Cyclone. Sure felt like Boof's big Merc in his '32 roadster...
    I was puzzled how half as many cylinders could make more power than V8s. :eek: In time, I'd 'get it'...

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  14. Roadsir

Roadsir

That interior shot sums it up for me. What a nice old car.

15. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

great ride - great story - his Family, his memories - just great that it will be saved

16. The 39 guy

The 39 guy

Here are a few pictures submitted by the crew tonight. I am happy that many of you have enjoyed the pictures of this excellent adventure.

LoadingR.jpg Rear SeatR.jpg

Top InsertR.jpg

DashR.jpg

Engine Drivers sideR.jpg
    JohnR.jpg

Last edited: Jul 17, 2017
  17. Hankster32

Hankster32

Don't restore that car sell it to that guy in Leavenworth he has a shortage of two door sedans. :) Make it run and stop then see what you want to do with it. I vote to leave it as is just cleaned up.

zeph4057k and HemiDeuce like this.
  18. The 39 guy

The 39 guy

Shortage, You should be stacking them by now;). Good to hear from you Hank

19. rusty bill

rusty bill

Going to be a fun project no mater which direction it heads. It would be neat to see it show up at the flathead run someday. UAA 462 , 462nd car licensed in Okanogan county, Washington, State in 1963.

20. Nice old Deuce! Darn, I just came through Wenatchee last Wednesday and I would have loved to see it. I was able to stop and see Dave Mehelich's and John Eder's shops though.

21. alchemy

alchemy

That is an early production 32. It has early dash, hood latches, visors, and probably more. Look at the serial number on the frame right inside the firewall foot and see how early. Also look on the subrail crossbar right in front of the front seats, in the middle. It will have a couple letters and a number showing what plant it was built in and the number Tudor it was to roll down the line.

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  22. The 39 guy

The 39 guy

I hope it shows up there also. There has been some talk of seeing if the old engine will run in the next few weeks.

Well you got to see two out of three of the 32 guys while you were here. That 32 chassis you saw at Eder's belongs to one of the crew that was involved in this 32 adventure.

That will be fun to look up alchemy. Thanks for the input.

23. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

Wow, neat find! Thanks for sharing.

24. Hamtown Al

Hamtown Al
    Member Emeritus
    1. Virginia HAMB(ers)

^^^^^Ditto!!!:)

gtrhotrod likes this.
  25. I will be following this closely as I have a '32 4 door sedan with about the same history. I am busy with other projects so this one just sits. Mine is a 4 cylinder deluxe car. It was originally driven out from the East Coast in about 1950 and stored in a shed for 40 years. I bought it in about 1990 and have had it in my garage since. The few original parts that were missing have been located. Mine will probably be restored or get mild speed equipment on the original engine along with hydraulic brakes and Kelsey wheels. Maybe I will just clean it up and drive it. There is a very good book called "The 1932 Ford Book" that you might consider getting, https://www.earlyfordv8.org/Shop.cfm?id=15&pid=2. As need in Post #23 it is an early car, if you post the serial number (use XXX for the last 3 digits) someone might be able to give you some interesting information.

Charlie Stephens

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  26. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Very cool! Hopefully they send you some photos of it all washed off!

27. FoParGuy

FoParGuy

Last Pic: looks like a couple of stout rear ends. Not sure they'll ever get restored!!

28. The 39 guy

The 39 guy

As long as they are still usable you are okay....