Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage Welcome to the 2017 Meltdown Drags

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Okiedoker, Oct 6, 2016.

1. Zettle Bros.

Zettle Bros.

What a great weekend. I was bummed that I blew that trans on Friday but hey it's a mechanical thing, they will fail sooner or later. Got to see some old faces and meet some new ones. Swap meet and car show were awesome. Jeff the guy that Tech me from the track was great. Took the time to show some of the things I'll need for next time and some things he thought were above board, cool guy. I drove the car from home, first time we never took a trailer in the 8 years we been coming to the Meltdown, this was the first year we really needed one. Hats off to the Meltdown crew!!!

2. Toymaker

Toymaker
    from Fresno,CA

What a fantastic time! Hats off the entire Crew including their wives who have dedicated themselves to a great event for us to enjoy. The Twin failed to smoke the Tires but my 10,000 clutch held up and slipped me thru the course to a surprising 165 MPH! Gave me some numbers to answer some questions
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

"Back to Byron" Evil Twin Shirts AVAILABLE!

3. enloe

enloe
    from east , tn.

We had a ball and will definitely be back. We got home at about 9:50 last night.
    I will be posting pics all day.

milwscruffy and loudbang like this.
  4. stupesnova

stupesnova
    from wisconsin

20170715_103152.jpg Wow what a weekend! We had a blast! Sassy ran her best time ever! 13.87 on Sunday...ended up owing David an Ice cream but it was worth it for the show the kids put on! Thank you to the Meltdown crew for all that you do! It was cool to see all of the people asking Carly questions about her car. Hopefully more kids will get "the bug" and start building and racing their own cars! I would like to also thank Jon Tomkins and his crew for helping us out with a small carb issue and Norb (Tickity Boo) for some advice on tuning and some other tricks that helped us get that 13.87!

Last edited: Jul 17, 2017
  5. ...another, even better Meltdown,...great job to ALL the crews, (including the food people who seem to work non-stop all weekend) and to everyone who attended,...the swapmeet saved the day for a few racers again this year,...here's a few of my favorites this year 2017 meltdown 086.jpg 2017 meltdown 161.jpg 2017 meltdown 032.jpg 2017 meltdown 224.jpg 2017 meltdown 218.jpg 2017 meltdown 076.jpg 2017 meltdown 158.jpg 2017 meltdown 059.jpg

6. Okiedoker

Okiedoker
    from Wisconsin

It is gonna take me a few days to recover, but it was still a great Meltdown!

I got stood up for the prom yet again from a certain Shaker, but i got to match race the Panneton's on Sunday... Ric blew my doors off, but I scared Marc so much in the second run that he red lit and damn near gave up when I was pulling away from him at the 8th... ran my best e.t. Of the weekend that run.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

7. Roothawg

Roothawg

I have never been, but I just wanna say "Hats off" to the crew that puts this together. If you have never had to host an event of this size, be appreciative of the volunteers. It's hard to find people willing to give up their weekend to work their butts off for free.

I will make it someday.....it's on the bucket list.

8. enloe

enloe
    from east , tn.

My son and I stopped and talked to you guys. You could tell that she was having a ball. Here we are we had a blast this weekend. image.jpg

9. HemiRambler

HemiRambler

This was my first time at the Meltdown. The entire crew there are completely over the top - it's unbelieveable how friendly and helpful everyone is. The thought that goes into all the little details is truely impressive and greatly appreciated. We only got to make a couple of passes Friday due to an issue with my trans, but still had a huge blast there. It was a real treat to meet Brian Fox and see Zorba's Ghost and his super cool tow vehicle. Was extremely nice to meet Rooman and finally put so many faces to names. AJ bent over backwards to make sue we had a good time - which of course is impossible to not do at this event. Thanks to everyone that made this possible. There was a HUGE vintage race in my "backyard" and it's a good one, but it was a NO BRAINER to tow the 8 hrs to the MELTDOWN!!!! In my best Arnold voice, "I'll be back!"

10. pnevells

pnevells

Hi Okiedoker,
    I didn't get a chance to meet you but had an incredible Meltdown, the Hilltown Shaker ran great, and we got to run some fellow HAMB altered guys. A really fun event, hats off the all the volunteers, everyone was friendly and helpful

Sent from my SM-G920V using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

loudbang likes this.
  11. Okiedoker

Okiedoker
    from Wisconsin

You actually did meet me... I was the guy who came over and asked you to night race!

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Church Key and loudbang like this.
  12. pnevells

pnevells

Haha, that's funny, so many HAMB friends came up and introduced themselves with their HAMB handle

Sent from my SM-G920V using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Church Key, loudbang and Toymaker like this.
  13. Wow.....what an event ......my first time and a pleasure to meet the Koops...lol. I'm recovering this morning after our 16 hour trip home. We already are talking about attending next year hopefully with a finished car. I met a lot of good folks that I've talked with on the Hamb and Tri Five forum. A big thanks to all who attended and made it happen.

Chucky and loudbang like this.
  14. Okiedoker

Okiedoker
    from Wisconsin

Here is the proof...

I myself think a 1.42 sixty foot time on pie crust slicks and leaving from an idle is pretty respectable...
    [​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

15. funk 49

funk 49

As always we had a great time.
    Thanks and Congrats. to everyone involved.
    Funk 49

Chucky and loudbang like this.
  16. Torkwrench

Torkwrench

This has to have been the best Meltdown, yet. Hats off to all of the Meltdown crew for their dedication and efforts for making this the greatest vintage drag racing event, ever. There has to be so much work involved with putting this on. Not just during the event, but throughout the entire year, with all of the planning and preparation that is required. It's mind boggling, just to think about it.

For the first time, my brother and I went on Thursday, for early check in. This went so smoothly. We were in our pit spots within a few minutes of arriving, in the late afternoon. Tech went really well, too. There was plenty of room in the staging lanes for our cars to get inspected. This eliminated one of the big bottlenecks, that is present on the racing days. Will definitely show up early, next year.

There were so many cool cars, and great people. Got to see some old friends and meet some new ones. It was a bit frustrating to break the rear axle on my first run, (for the second year in a row), but it's all fixable.....Hello, Pontiac / Olds rear end......Thanks again for everyone who helped push my car from the starting line, and back to the pits. You folks were lifesavers.

The weather couldn't have been better. Even on Sunday, the sun came out and things dried off. Although the number of cars were fewer, there still was a lot of great racing action. Got to see my favorite car of the meet, (Skai High 60 BelAir), make about 6 or 7 runs on Sunday.

17. trailer-Ed

trailer-Ed
    from JC, MO

This was our second year with the Anglia. We had a great time, met many people from many states that I have only ever chatted with on line. We were excited that we got invited to race with the Nostalgia Gasser group Saturday night. Thanks to all involved. We already reserved rooms for next year. FB_IMG_1500289839486.jpg

Attached Files:

18. enloe

enloe
    from east , tn.

That is a killer car I lusted over it a bunch of times

trailer-Ed, 55belairx2 and loudbang like this.
  19. Marc and I seriously considered an Anglia heist this year, but cooler heads prevailed. If you ever sell that little gem we get first dibs!

trailer-Ed, 55belairx2 and loudbang like this.
  20. Church Key

Church Key

IMG_6363.JPG My wife and I flew out from Rhode Island to see what this Meltdown was all about. A big thank you to Jeff Koopmeiners for direction and lodging information, everything worked out great. This is by far the best VINTAGE drag race we have attended. I never said "WOW !" so much in one weekend. Every where you turned there were cool cars that actually "Get It "what a nostalgia racecar should be. Got to meet some fellow HAMB members and talk in person instead of the computer. Looking forward to attending again next year.

21. T&A Flathead

T&A Flathead

Sorry I missed you Rusty. I've got a video of your Saturday night run. Will have to figure out how to send it.

trailer-Ed and loudbang like this.
  22. T&A Flathead

T&A Flathead

My son and I had a great time and will definitely be back.
    image.jpeg

23. Thanks to all of the volunteers. Great event as always. I thought the pie crust race was a great addition to the event. Im sure it will get more popular. I have a tire prep that makes those tires really hook.

loudbang likes this.
  24. Great run Jeff, I seriously didn't believe the Doker could run 10.50's on Pie Crusts, but dammed if it didn't! Mad respect for that. Marc aborted the run with you as the shift into 2nd started running through clutch, and in his young but impressive driving career, he was aware of it, and lifted to save the hardware.., I'm really impressed with his "shoeing" skills. By the way, I didn't best Marc's Saturday night 10.32 (I managed a Sunday afternoon 10.35), but don't ride me to hard, or I'll bring up my .503 light to your .733.., it takes giraffes a litte while to wake the F up, and get those long legs underneath em, but once they get truck'n, watch out cause they got a mean top end charge!

pnevells and loudbang like this.
  25. JOECOOL

JOECOOL

This is our first year bringing the Great Grandson. He was impressed but tires out quick .I got to say hi to some and missed others . I try to say hi to Jim Forbes every year but just could not connect this year. I was disappointed they wouldn't let me in the swap meet with the camper but it was my fault ,I should have checked ahead. We always buy a shirt or two and a couple burgers, hope to help keep this event running for a long time. Thanks to all the people who brought their cars.

squirrel, loudbang and enloe like this.
  26. Toymaker

Toymaker
    from Fresno,CA

Beautiful car!

27. trailer-Ed

trailer-Ed
    from JC, MO

I'm so sorry I missed you guys. I really wanted to catch up.

loudbang likes this.
  28. SLCK64

SLCK64

I had a great time! Hadnt been since 2012. This year I decided to do the whole weekend, camped out since Friday afternoon. Can not wait until next year! I am going to try to make it up to the Fallout Drags up in Eau Claire at the end of Sept.

Watching all the racers and walking through the pits sparked that flame for me to get my 64 out from under the tarps get it rolling under its own power again. You guys and gals really put a lot of love into this!

On a side note, I am hoping to get to race in the Uncle Sam's Pie Eating Contest at Byron next June!! Anyone know if there is a thread for that on here already?

loudbang likes this.
  29. das858

das858

This was my first time to the Meltdown as a spectator, we have raced our front engine dragster the last 3 years. I was diagnosed with stage 4 non Hodgkins lymphoma in March and it has been my goal since then to make it to the Meltdown in some capacity. My strength and energy are not quite good enough to be driving our dragster, although Fridays great weather made me think maybe ! Thoroughly enjoyed the event as a spectator, got to see alot more of the racing , swap meet and car show than ever before, hope to be back driving our dragster next year.

30. enloe

enloe
    from east , tn.

I just finished posting pictures from my trip. I posted about 400 pics on the thread that is linked to my signature.
    I really enjoyed the event and meeting a lot of you guys.

55belairx2 and loudbang like this.