Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical VALSPAR TRACTOR PAINT

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by rdynes01, Jul 16, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rdynes01

rdynes01
    from colorado

I'm getting ready to paint my latest project and I'm going to use Valspar Tractor paint thru my HF purple gun. The Valspar TDS isn't clear on spray application so what will be a good reducer for it and what ratio to thin and I will be using their hardener also so how much of that should I add? Any tips or secrets from guys that have used this paint will be appreciated........Bob

2. jeffs64cat

jeffs64cat

I use tractor supply paint when paints my scale helicopters. I thin down with minerals spirits. I just mix so when my test spray is good. But if I'd have to say it's about 1/4 spirits to 3/4 paint. I spray thin coats at first to med at the end. I spray 6 coat. Hope this helps., I'm not a professional just a hobbyist.

Sent from my iPad using H.A.M.B.

3. Valspar Implement paint is a enamel so regular mineral sprites/paint thinner will be what you use for reducing the paint.

Enamels are slow drying so you might want to add some Japan Dryer to speed up the drying process,if you do use it sparingly.

As for spraying it I don't know the viscosity of the product but a rule of thumb is usually 1 to 4. HRP

Last edited: Jul 16, 2017
    Ric Dean, bondolero and HellsHotRods like this.
  4. sunbeam

sunbeam

My experience Alkyd enamel paints tend to fade quickly

5. A Boner

A Boner

Is it fake patina if you choose to use paint that "fades" quickly?

Ric Dean, brEad, Chili Phil and 3 others like this.
  6. indyjps

indyjps

6 parts valspar, 2 parts acetone, 1/4 part valspar enamel hardener. Shot this a lot of times.

Spray your tack coat and see how its laying down, adjust if necessary. Take the time to disassemble and clean the harbor freight gun, theres a lot of assembly oil and sealer putty in them. Take the time to set up the spray pattern and get used to the gun.

You can use automotive enamel reducer in this paint for more control of drying time. Test a small batch makes sure it mixes evenly.

Mineral spirits will work but take a long time to cure.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2017
  7. john worden

john worden
    from iowa

Read the Valspar Technical Data Sheet.
    With all paint products.... read read read

belair, BJR and Frankie47 like this.
  8. Chiss

Chiss
    from S.C.

Just asking because I don't no, And read these Paint Post for Idea's own an upcoming Project I am going to attempt myself. Will the Mineral Spirits Lift the Primer or is it critical to use Epoxy or Enamel Primer?

9. rdynes01

rdynes01
    from colorado

Mineral spirits in a paint coating such as enamel won't lift the vast majority of primers available today.

Chiss likes this.
  10. TVC

TVC

Can you use the acrylic enamel wet look/gloss hardener with Valspar/Rustoleum/Tractor enamel?

indyjps likes this.
  11. indyjps

indyjps

I have used napa enamel reducer and hardener, hawthorne reducer and hardener, acetone and valspar hardener, acetone by itself, mineral spitits by itself in valspar.

Please test a small batch yourself for conpatibility before mixing your whole gallon.

Valspar and rustoleum are very forgiving, its about as cheap as enamel can get, you can paint over dirt and it will stick. The long term dutability is where most concerns come in. Will it fade -yes. The hardener helps. But it doesnt have the UV additives that auto based paint has.

I have used it a lot on equipment. It covers and protects, this stuff was never waxed so its a difficult comparison to a garage kept or waxed vehicle.

Really for not much more theres a lot of automotive enamels avaialable that will outperform valspar. Ive shot both Paint for car .com, tcpglobal restoration shop,
    Much better results for not much more cash.

I know thats not what everyone asked though.

dana barlow likes this.
  12. BJR

BJR

I just cannot see using tractor paint on a car that you have put so much work into. Cheap paint still requires a lot of prep and good primer, so why not use automotive paint and get something that lasts? But then I have been painting cars for 50 years so I look at things like this differently.

13. Kan Kustom

Kan Kustom

Usually where you buy Valspar tractor enamel you can get Valspar acrylic enamel. It is a little more expensive but still very reasonable and ten times as good a paint. Acrylic enamel has always been my favorite to work with in any brand.

14. mohead1

mohead1

Yes, u can get acrylic enamel paint from Valspar. Valspar is good paint. The TCP Global is a great place to get paint and supplies

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

15. southcross2631

southcross2631

Used to paint my dirt track cars with that paint. Allis Chalmers orange. It started to fade by the end of one season of setting in the Ga. sun. Easy to work with . Funny story, we were getting a car ready to run an endure in Jax, Fl. Running late so we taped up the car with one of our crew members in the seat with a paint mask on . Painted the car, untaped it and loaded it on the trailer and air dried it in the hour ride to the track. Lettered it while waiting in line to get in. Everybody kept saying ,I smell fresh paint. No kidding.

16. MIKE STEWART

MIKE STEWART

I have used Velspar / Rest. tractor paint for the inside of the body - like floor pans, inside truck and firewall and quarter panels - that are not exposed to sun light. I like the semi-gloss black. Has worked well for me - but I use true auto paint for exterior.

56C3B6 likes this.
  17. LOL I really can't tell if this one is fading or not. But it still shines like a new dime and is probably painted 10 years now. :D

raven.jpg

This is shot with what was at the time 38 dollar Valspar tractor paint. Its the light Ford Gray. I guess if it ever fades it'll be white. :D

brEad, dana barlow, indyjps and 3 others like this.
  18. raven

raven

It's still holding up good.
    r

19. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

That's what I need for my Ford 9n...

brEad likes this.
  20. mohead1

mohead1

Nice!!

21. When I paint tractors, I use naphtha as a reducer. I've used Magic brand paint with poor results, but now, I use Van Sickle brand and it looks great after 3 years, but I use their Hardner and they said to thin with naphtha

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

indyjps likes this.
  22. A Boner

A Boner

Too bad if it ever really fades bad.....you will have to scuff it and spend another $38.00 for more paint for a respray. Better start to save up for some more Valspar! Or better yet, just tell everyone it an old survivor paint job from when the car was built!

23. sunbeam

sunbeam

0717071330.jpg [​IMG] This is 3 year old velspar IHC red that set in the weather top part was under a lid the bottom edge is what the rest of the paint looks like.

24. I figure its already ghost grey if it fades it'll be Casper invisible. :D

[​IMG]

dana barlow likes this.
  25. mohead1

mohead1

All reds fade badly....dont know why...

26. They always have, I think some of the new color coat clear coat paints are not as bad.

dana barlow likes this.
  27. rdynes01

rdynes01
    from colorado

The Valspar hardener can says 8 oz. per gallon of their paint which means 2oz. per qt. Does that sound like a lot of hardener to add to the paint? Bob

28. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

Yes,the new paint mixs are better at lasting as for red, was always hard to keep up with. But as much as I liked red,I used gloss black Rusttolem and just buffed it back up,tell It'd get to the point were ,repaint was needed on my 1928 roadster. My dayly driver is a red w/gold paril flake I would of loved back in the early 60's,but then cost would of been passed having, red wagon came with is now 12 years old,still looks super{but both are garage kept most days]2005 dodge magnum. PlyConChurch.jpg magnumRear.jpg

Last edited: Jul 22, 2017
  29. When "Candy Apple" first showed up in the 60's, a kid in our neighborhood shot his Ford with it.
    It was awesome! A year later it was just another red Ford. Couldn't believe how fast it went away.

30. Candy paint was always a wax and drive situation. LOL

Candy red used to fade so fast that you could paint a panel on day and another panel the next and they would be a different color.

We actually played a mean trick on one of the kids I went to school with. he had a '57 Ford that he was painting candy red, but he was painting it a panel at a time in his dad's barn. His dad told him that his paint would be screwed up if he didn't paint it all at once. Well the kid went out of town for a weekend and his dad came and got me and said that we were going to have some fun with him. So while he was out of town we scuffed it and painted it candy tangerine. When the kid came home his dad told him that he finished the car for him but it was too late to save it.

The following week the kid drove the Ford to school and told everyone that this is what happens when you paint candy red one panel at a time. Everyone was snickering because it was a small town and everyone knew. Someone finally told him,. :D

raven likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.