Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest MUST READ CAR SHOW ETIQUETTE GREAT TIPS :)

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by flattandscruggs1, Jul 15, 2017.

chryslerfan55 and els like this.
  2. uncleandy.When I bring my car to car shows and walk around checking out the other rides .The only thing I may do is poke my head in the window and check out the interior and I make sure my hands are in my pockets when doing that!Bruce.

chryslerfan55 and els like this.
  3. Danny.I know I told this story before but when I had the State Police car. 2 guys were looking at it and the one guy put his dripping wet soda cup on the front fender while checking it out. When I rose out of my seat his friend saw me and right away took the drink off the fender and said he was sorry for what his friend did and wiped the fender off. I am sure that wasn't soda in his cup. I had a friendly cop take a picture standing next to it. Bruce. 009.JPG

chryslerfan55, els and wraymen like this.
  4. Flatheadpete.Theres always 1 in the group.Bruce.

els likes this.
  5. TagMan, now that's FUNNY!!!!Bruce.

els and 32 HROD like this.
  6. Wraymen.On offence but I would never take my car to a Walmart car show. Do you see what kind of cars the come to do their shopping in? Your lucky if they have 3 wheels on their cars, and they are the ones you see in the store with the bottom P.J.s on with their house slippers.. LOL. Bruce.

els, 32 HROD and wraymen like this.
  7. AGREED!!!!Bruce.

els likes this.
  8. Clunker.I am like you. If a child wants to sit in my car at a show I will let them{no drunks though}.I always bring a cooler full of water and give it away to people who need it while the guy down the row is selling it for a $1.50. a bottle. LOL.Bruce.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2017
  9. WHOA where are my sunglasses? LOL.Bruce.

chevy57dude likes this.
  10. little red 50

little red 50

Skip the car shows, and drive your cars like they were meant to be. Who cares about winning a plastic trophy anyway?

11. wvenfield

wvenfield

I took my motorcycle to a show (as a favor to a friend, he gave me a free t-shirt). A little kid comes up and touches it. His parents tells him "dont touch". I told them it was OK to sit him on it. The smile on the kids face made the time sitting doing nothing worth it.

I had my old 54 Chevy at a show and a older man walks up with his adult son who was clearly blind and obviously had other issues. The man tells me that a 54 Chevy was his sons favorite car. I Didn't ask why as he couldn't see but......I told him to go ahead and touch. He ran his hands over the car which made his day. His dad was very appreciative.

I get the morons that will place a beer on your car or that leans on the door looking in with a big buckle banging the door but we also take it all too seriously some times.

wicarnut, belair, Fern 54 and 7 others like this.
  12. Steffen Jobst

Steffen Jobst

CAR SHOW ETIQUETTE

1. If you are afraid that anyone could touch your car:
    Don't participate in car shows. Stay at home with your car.
    Outside in real life cars are touched by humans. Many cars survived this their whole life long. Yes sometimes cars get scratches and dents. It belongs to a car live. At least - imagine - it’s history.

2. If you are afraid of children:
    Children like cars. Remember when you were young. With your friends looking into cars. Through the sidewindow, standing on your toes, hiding the sun with your hand, trying to see the speedometer. You know: There is always 20 MPH more on it then the car’s top speed. So subtract these 20 MPH and you know how fast the car is. Many car enthusiasts started like this. If you don’t give kids the possibility to get acquainted with cars: They will have no relationship to cars. They later become lawyers, politicans, they work for the government - and at the end we all must drive e-cars only because you didn’t let them come in contact with your car!

3. If you are afraid that people ask stupid questions:
    People are not in the hobby - they ask stuff that sounds stupid to you but they are really interested in. Like you at a horse show. Nothing is better for our hobby than answering questions of interessted people. Nothing is more worse for a hobby than to judge these people.

4. If you are not able to answer even stupid questions:
    Do not only not participate in car shows - sell the car and search another hobby.
    Now.

5. If you can’t stand negative comments about your car:
    Tastes are different. You might think your car is the best and prettiest in the world - and for you for sure it is. But other people may have another taste. It might surprise you but many people even don’t give a shit about cars. They use it for driving from A to B, nothing more.
    So do not expect respect. What for you is love, much work and a holy grail - for many people it’s just a car. Face reality. It’s not the kindergarten where you can expect, if you go alone and without help to toilet everybody jubilates.
    If you need a car to pimp up your personality - put yourself in medical attendance.

6. If you don’t understand the sense of a car show:
    Car shows are not for showing how much money you have, that your car is better than others and so on. If you want to compare your dick size: find a dragstrip and stop talking.
    Car shows are a great support for our hobby. We want to show cars to normal people that they understand our interest and we show a living part of history. And this in a cool atmosphere - otherwise they can go in a museum.

7. If you don’t want dogs pissing on your tires:
    Don't buy a car.
    Since the first car was made dogs were pissing on car tires. 1863 Étienne Lenoir drove the first time his Hippomobile. The first car ever with a combusting engine. He parked the car outside on the street but forgot his gloves and so he goes back in the garage. As he returned a dog had pissed on a tire of his car.
    You see since 154 years dogs are pissing against car tires. They love cars. Like you.
    Apart from this: Generally dogs are displaced in crowds of people. But this - like many other stuff at car shows - is the responsibility of the organiser of the event and I can not understand why many of them don’t care about this.

8. If you spend 300.000,- $ for a paint job:
    Don't participate in car shows.
    Don't participate in anything. Stay at home and wait until the doctor is coming.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2017
    37hotrod, funk 49, Barn Find and 31 others like this.
  13. There is something about someone's car that is really personal, and if someone "violates or trespasses" in that space it does cause a visceral reaction in just about anyone. I get all these reactions.

I didn't really understand it until one day in the 1990's (in LA) driving down Sunset Blvd, a surfer/hippy dude stepped off the curb into a cross walk in front of me, basically signaling that he wanted me to stop and let him walk across. My '57 Ranchero could hardly stop at all anyway, let alone on a dime at 30 mph, I was never gonna stop in time, so I kept going. He got mad and tossed his super-large paper cup full of "whatever-frozen-orange drink" from 7-11 and it exploded all over my windshield in a glorious orange, watery curtain. Now, I'm a pretty "chill/emotional waters are always calm" kind of guy, not a big muscly one either, more like an awkward, scrawny one. But I just saw red, drove up on the curb, yanked on the emergency brake, jumped out, leaving the door wide open, car running and chased him up the street, on foot, into one of these hilly LA neighborhoods. He nearly leaped out of his Birkenstocks, running as fast as he could up the hill, was pleading in his surfer-dude accent, never looking back: "C'mon man! Stop! I didn't mean it bro' ! I don't wanna fight! Let's be friends, man!" I said absolutely nothing and kept after him. We ended up circling around this little Honda and every time I went left he went right, we were never going to get anywhere. But I still didn't say anything, or stop trying to get at him. There was this little Asian guy watering his lawn there, and he started squirting us with his hose "You boys no-fight ! You boys no-fight !" The surfer-dude was kinda fat and hyperventilating, so I just stopped, and said "you are a fu&&&& ass$&&€£, dude", then just turned around, walked back to my car. (that 'aint "fiction", it happened exactly like that)

I'm not down with violence or being an over-defensive dick, I don't think cars are more important than people, but my point here is that I can totally understand the guy with the GTO and some of the other big reactions in this thread at car shows, when normal people have had their "car-space" violated. The funny thing is that by going to a car show, we are purposely exposing ourselves to this. Even a daily driver, there's just something about messing with someone's car that is just taboo that doesn't apply to anything else. I have never gotten angry when someone's run into my shopping cart or sat on my front stoop uninvited, there's something deeply psychological there with cars.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Fern 54, els, Bruce Fischer and 3 others like this.
  14. another on: Don't take the score card off another vehicle because he is your awards competition. (happened to me)

els and 32 HROD like this.
  15. Seems to be a lot of people getting upset when someone asks how much money they have in their car. I always used to say, " It depends on if you want the figure I tell most people or the one I tell my wife, both of which are either over or under inflated, since you and I aren't married it's $$$$$$ , thanks for looking.

els likes this.
  16. stuart in mn

stuart in mn

Steffen's post sums it up for me. :) People get too worked up on this topic...go to shows if you like them, don't go if you don't like them.

Barn Find, els, 2bubbas and 4 others like this.
  17. sunbeam

sunbeam

Do not ask a kid a question unless you want an answer.

els, 32 HROD, slo-dat and 4 others like this.
  18. Bruce, I rarely even go to Walmart much less take my Austin. I was just commenting that being an ass with some one else's property is wrong. It doesn't matter if its a high dollar show car or a heap. The DD is my daily driver.
    I agree that when you take your car out in the public shit is going to happen. I'm OK with that and its not a big deal to me. Being an ass at any event is another matter and I do have a problem with that.

19. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'm not much of a car show guy but when I do go I could care less if people touch or sit in Rusty but I do tell them to be careful not to cut themselves or they might get tetanus! I completely understand those who do have nice rides and how stupid people can be but given my ride I don't have those concerns.

els and clunker like this.
  20. Good stuff, Steffen.

Spoggie, els and Steffen Jobst like this.
  21. Clay Belt

Clay Belt

Shoot, that's about the only reason I like my car, is it's typically the Hooptie of the show, so people can touch it and everything. Previous owner gave it a splotchy rattle can paint job, I left and and even use the trunk as a seat

Barn Find and els like this.
  22. I know what you mean, all my stuff is low buck. I'm still proud but realistic. I would gladly be the owner of that truck in your avatar. It has character and that is a good thing.

lothianwilly71 and els like this.
  23. AldeanFan

AldeanFan

My biggest complaint is the folks who cut up other people's cars at shows.
    Half of them don't own a car anyway or just have to make themselves feel better about their car by putting others down.
    I love talking about my cars to people who are interested in hearing about them, but I'm not interested in hearing their opinions about what's wrong with my car.

I drove a car an hour to a car show and had someone tell me the small block Ford in it wouldn't run with the 600 Holley on it.

We built my dads car with an automatic because he has knee pain and can't work a heavy clutch, some asshat told him a hot rod with an automatic was like a Harley with training wheels, asshat didn't own a Harley or a hot rod and had come to the show on the city bus.
    And how come I can't take my '54 wagon out in public without someone telling me it should have a flathead instead of a y block, or shouting nice studebaker at me!

I always assume the owner knows more about their car than I do and it's an opportunity to learn something.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

24. guess we broke a rule- took him with us to a show- 100_1000.JPG

wicarnut, Fern 54, 51504bat and 6 others like this.
  25. Now I remember why I don't do shows much anymore. I got sick of hearing about $200,000-$300,000 paint jobs and other related bullshit stories.

funk 49, wicarnut, els and 4 others like this.
  26. level2526

level2526

I stopped bringing my car to shows.

Sent from my iPad using H.A.M.B.

els, 32 HROD and little red 50 like this.
  27. We love to enjoy our cars,and share them with others. Surely, the few eff it up for the many, the best example is a local organization puttin' on a show for charity. Honorable cause, but the cars are the entertainment for folks who ordinarily would never go to a show. These are off my list. The Showdown, Jalopyrama, Hamb drags, etc.. are my goals.
    Steffen, my bro from the Fatherland, you spoke volumes! It's important to not be ''that guy'.'
    Bruce - Everyone should go to a Wal Mart in Tennessee. For the culture.

28. the metalsurgeon

the metalsurgeon
    from Denver

thats funny
    its his daily driver,no car show

els and Bruce Fischer like this.
  29. I've never owned a car I wasn't willing to let a kid sit in- their joy is worth more than worry about what if's-

wicarnut, els, 31hotrodguy and 4 others like this.
  30. Steffen Jobst

Steffen Jobst

You save us all of e-car laws!

Spoggie and els like this.