Register now to get rid of these ads!

PCV on an 8BA Flathead

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by flatheadjohn, Aug 5, 2008.

1. buflochp

buflochp
    from Minnesota

They use the draft tube to keep the rocker panels from rusting out...:D

buflochp

2. 51 MERC-CT

51 MERC-CT

After all is said and done the real reason for installing a PCV is getting rid of the ---
    [​IMG]

3. 32owner

32owner

my 52 flathead had the pcv in the filler tube and ran to the edmonds intake between the two carbs and they also ran the road tube , i changed it to the road tube hole and installed a filler tube and vented cap now i have oil leaks in the pan gasket and when driving smoke comes out of the left bank, then when stopped it comes out of dip stick and filler tube help

4. Flat Roy

Flat Roy

Well I'm going to get blasted for this but I've been running a PCV with a sealed crankcase (like all new cars) on my 8BA for the last ten years on both carbureted and supercharged versions and had no problem what so ever. Why would you want to suck all that dirty outside air into your crankcase? (I know, it can be filtered) a sealed crankcase also eliminates oil leaks. I'll be running for the hills now , see ya.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2017
    NashRodMan likes this.
  5. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

Sounds like the pcv you installed is not actually ventilating the system. Could be the valve, could be the vacuum source.

6. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

With a sealed up crankcase, there is no way to draw air in,and so the pcv cannot draw air out of the crankcase, and is not doing anything other than possibly relieving pressure from blow-by gasses. Your question about drawing dirty air into the crankcase, that is why closed system pcv's draw air into the crankcase via an external line plumbed to the filtered air supply at the air cleaner assy.

7. boo

boo
    from stuart,fl.

flatroy, i'll also get blasted,have run a model A w/sealed crank case and pcv valve. befor it leaked out front and rear seals, the vacuum held in the oil, no leaks. also on my merc flt hd. i sealed it up also to stop leaks frnt& read. on the A , intake to side cover and a cork in oil fill tube, v-8, int. man. to plug in oil fill tupe. almost 20 years an no trouble or leaks.

8. was just doing this today(not on a flat head)
    is it better to draw the vacuum from the intake or into the air cleaner? (between the carb and filter)
    does it make a difference?

9. miwi

miwi
    from Germany

I had installed the PCV in my 239 french flathead with 59AB intake in the valley

Attached Files:

10. Sheep Dip

Sheep Dip
    from Central Ca

Just curious if that gives you a "Wet" cylinder?, or at least a well lubricated one.