Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest MUST READ CAR SHOW ETIQUETTE GREAT TIPS :)

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by flattandscruggs1, Jul 15, 2017.

1. robracer1

robracer1

I've seen a parent lift and put a child on a running board so they can look at the interior and say, now don't touch the car!

Last edited: Jul 15, 2017
    32 HROD, Montana1 and els like this.
  2. partsdawg

partsdawg
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Minnesota

This one falls on the car owner.
    Be sure and set up that Wood or acrylic sign board listing all the car details so that when the wind knocks it over it hits your car not someone else's.
    Hate those damn things.

3. Flathead Dave

Flathead Dave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from So. Cal.

Actually, it's a pointed question. There are a lot of morons who will buy the car and tell people that they built it. Some will get that $200,000 paint job and claim it as their design creation with out giving credit. I have found lots of liars at car shows and I know some liars. I will call them out on it.

I like it when I see a Boyd Coddington, West Coast Custom or a Chip Foose car in the Southland and the owner still claims that they built it.

4. Gman0046

Gman0046

Nothing good can occur at a car show. Some Bubba or Bubbette and their kids will run their dick skinners all over your paint job or some skank will drape herself over your fender to have her picture taken. Not to mention the damage cameras, bicycles, dogs, chains and hand bags can cause.

weps, 32 HROD, Bruce Fischer and 5 others like this.
  5. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

What about what the participants should not do, like hog 2 spaces, put tent covers up in prime parking places, save a dozen spaces for your friends and a bazillion others.. Just got back from GoodGuys Columbus and I think the car owners are just as bad as the general admission people....

6. Ha! I don't know what a "dick skinner" is but that's funny!

Seems like this stuff should be common sense, but I guess it's not. I never let my kids too close to anyones' car. I encourage my wife NOT to sprawl out on other people's car for photos (maybe if she were in her early 20's again...) My car is a POS, so I don't care if people touch it, but I suppose I would if it was really nice or expensive.

Last show, we parked next to this nice old feller who had an old beat up '39 Ford Coupe he had bought a few years back from the original family, and it looked as it did 50 years ago when it was parked in some barn in western Mass (closest thing we have to hillbillies here). He just did what he needed to do to get it running and loved driving it around, taking it to shows. It was awesome, 100% original survivor, even the original dizzy. He was telling us about the old flathead and how he got it to turn over, my son was leaning in a bit close and I pulled him back, told him not to touch, then the owner said "heck, they can touch it all they want. In fact they can get in if they want!" So they did.

Those are the kind of cars we normally gravitate to at a show, and generally the kind of people I gravitate to anyway. He forgot to bring water for himself, so I hooked him up with a bunch of bottles as we pulled out in the afternoon. He and his car are the only thing I saw there that impressed me, everything else was too shiny or being defended by a knight in flip flops wielding a California duster
    and a folding throne.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

7. the metalsurgeon

the metalsurgeon
    from Denver

Nah, it's called bullsh$t , Bob .

els and tfeverfred like this.
  8. Ya know I could just see some stroker telling someone about their 300.000.00 paint job.:rolleyes:

els likes this.
  9. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

About 6 years ago, I stopped by a show that was for high end exotics. The owners were smug and VERY watchful. So, I spot this late 80's Rolls Royce and start checking it out. I was admiring the wood dash, when I heard, "Go ahead son! Git in that son of a bitch!" I turned around and it was THE stereotype for a wealthy Texas oil man. Older, huge cowboy hat, a western style vest that looked like it was Ostrich skin and a huge belt buckle!

I looked around and the crowd was loving it. "Son, I've got a bunch of the damn things. Git in and feel that leather. It's like a glove." The guy popped the hood, cranked her up and was probably the only owner at the show having a REAL good time.

10. the metalsurgeon

the metalsurgeon
    from Denver

Sorry it slipped my memory,yes I remember now ,gold leaf paint job , and yes they live just down the road from me , in Denver , India......I had to
    265dce1cf2fab86c27355bdc6de218e5--royal-crowns-stay-gold.jpg

11. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Oh my.

chryslerfan55 and els like this.
  12. the metalsurgeon

the metalsurgeon
    from Denver

I probably should delete it in bad taste....

els likes this.
  13. Most people around here are pretty courteous at car shows. This is a boy who showed a lot of interest in my coupe at a show, so I asked him if he wanted to sit in it. He jumped right in and seemed to be having the time of his life.
    When he got out, his dad asked him which was his favorite car there and he said "that red corvette over there" pointing across the park. Thanks kid!
    I guess they are pretty truthful as well as courteous.

Mick
    DSCF0978 (Copy).JPG

wicarnut, Spoggie, els and 10 others like this.
  14. Iv'e seen it all.... seen it come to blows even , from the stupid people attending as mentioned above...... ONE thing that really burns me- If your promoting an upcoming event- DO NOT put your BS fliers on my window, or actually inside my car!...... I leave the windows cracked because the damn car is in the sun all freakin' day. Keep your shit away from my car, and if your minions are out and about, teach them to ask....... Now- windows are up, I'll bear the heat, and the flier flies keep moving along.... I'll find you if I want to.

15. donno

donno

Car show etiquette....no such thing. Expect it? Stay home.

tetanusshot, els and 31hotrodguy like this.
  16. lurker mick, granted my car is not as nice as yours but I let the kids in all the time. I get as big a kick out of it as they do. At the HRW last month. IMG_2277.JPG

17. I don't expect a thing....... But thanks for your opinion...... You know what those are like........

Flathead Dave and els like this.
  18. Z06-LITE

Z06-LITE

When I have had people how much money I have in my T, I usually ask them how much they make at their job and how often they screw their wife? Pretty much ends their stupid questions.

GeezersP15, Spoggie, els and 7 others like this.
  19. When I lived in NY I went to the wheels of time show in Macungie Pa with a car that had been there 15 times before . Pull in 45 min after the gate opened , people had big areas roped off with chairs and such . Backed up to a lawn chair got out moved it out of my way backed my car in .Guy runs up and tells me I have to move he is saving it for his friend . I ask how a good a friend is he because while he is having breakfast you are going to have scrap with me over his space .He said when you put it that way maybe he will have to find his own space .

20. the metalsurgeon

the metalsurgeon
    from Denver

i just love fiction ....

els, 49ratfink, milwscruffy and 2 others like this.
  21. Be careful when looking at someone's engine. You might trip and knock over his crying doll and step on it's head.

22. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

Its,just common courtesy and common sense, which many people lack!

Sent from my SM-J700T1 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

els and 32 HROD like this.
  23. Toner283

Toner283

That fellow with the 39 Ford coupe gets it. Having fun with the car is what it is all about. Why some people go to a car show or cruise night and act miserable to anyone and everyone while they are there baffles me. Why not just stay home where the general public won't bother you.

I quite often let kids sit in our Model A coupe. Parents almost always snap a picture or two and the smiles on the kids faces makes my day. I had one lady with two kids who each sat in the coupe for a few minutes ask me if she could sit in it and have her picture taken too. I laughed and told her of course. Her smile was almost bigger than the kids.

And if at a show I am talking to someone about the car and they ask if they can open the door, I almost always tell them to go ahead. If they have enough respect to ask, I see no harm in them opening the door. The other side of that coin is that if someone walks up and opens the door or leans on the fender, they are going to get an earful from me. I wouldn't mess with your stuff without asking so why would you think you can mess with mine?

weps, els, Hombre and 3 others like this.
  24. Some years back I was at a local cruise [which is actually an outdoor show] when this guy with jeans on leans back against this red 65 GTO telling his buddy a big long windy story. Another fellow comes up and interrupts the story teller..asks him if that's his GTO. Guy says no and the first guy says "It's mine and you're scratching my brand new paint job with your jeans rivets". The leaner gets mouthy and it's ON!
    Mister "rivets in his jeans" won't soon lean on anybody's car again. The scratches probably buffed out.

tfeverfred, els, 32 HROD and 3 others like this.
  25. When someone asks how much your car cost, answer like a Rolls Royce salesman. "If you have to ask, you can't afford it!"

Spoggie, els, 32 HROD and 2 others like this.
  26. greener200

greener200

As a kid I can remember going to one of my dads good friends,,,where the guy had 20 or so mint antique cars ,each in there own horse stall .well one of us left fingerprints on a fender,, holy makerall,!!!we were in big trouble! we learned Never touch an antique car ,,N E V E R. I have since instilled this practice in my 5 kids .As far as car show edicate,,Ya cant fix stupid,,,trust no one

els likes this.
  27. foolthrottle

foolthrottle

Thats certainly the case with my cars, and masterly driven too. Hey, did I ever tell you the story of racing in....Story goes on for 2 hours, or you fall asleep

els likes this.
  28. cretin

cretin

So rude, it shocks me how often I hear people ask that. As if it's any of their business, or even matters.
    One of the most tactful ways I've seen that question get handled was by one of our customers, his response was "Are you looking to buy it?"

els, kmrumedy and s55mercury66 like this.
  29. spanners

spanners

I've had kids lined up to get in my avatar which I'm happy to do. I make sure the battery is isolated so no unfortunate start-ups and let Mum or Dad take their photos.

Spoggie, wraymen, els and 4 others like this.
  30. '52 F-3

'52 F-3

I agree about being very considerate and teaching it your children etc... but the car shows I go to don't' have 200,000 paint jobs. still I don't touch or critique.... there are enough guys pointing out flaws they find in other cars.

I do let kids get in my cars, even offer if the're looking interested. typically they (and their parent) are very careful.

wraymen, Atwater Mike and els like this.