Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 1957 Chevy 3100 Steering Wheel Horn Components

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by BillUSMC, Jul 15, 2017.

1. BillUSMC

BillUSMC

I just joined HAMB and I'm a novice/wannabe hot rodder. I've restored a 57 Chevy 3100 small window and need some help. I recently bought and restored a original steering wheel for my truck.
    I retire next year and plan on driving the truck from Quantico, VA to IL.
    I've paired it with a IDIDIT steering column and I'm having a difficult time finding a diagram or parts list for all the horn components. Would ANYONE happen to have or happen to know someone who has a 57 chevy truck that could tell me or show me what all goes on under the horn cap? I have a working horn with the IDIDIT wheel that currently on the truck. The Original wheel that i've restored is literally just the wheel, the center is completely empty. I've found plenty of horn parts on the web but I can't find anyplace that sells it as a kit so I don't know what all i need to buy! Thanks for any and all assistance.

Bill

my handle in HAMB Forums is BillUSMC

Attached Files:

2. Chiss

Chiss
    from S.C.

3. BillUSMC

BillUSMC

Thanks Chiss, that is not the same steering wheel, the inside of mine does not have that many holes. It has two threaded holes and and one more for the horn spring bushing. But that being said, where would all the parts shown in the blue square go in the picture you posted??

4. Budget36

Budget36

5. BillUSMC

BillUSMC

Budget, thanks for the reply, this forum is hands down better than all the other ones i've joined. LOL, at least people respond here. I've actually got a couple of the items from that page on LMC in my shopping cart. I'm hoping someone who has a working 57 wheel and horn comes across this. One issue I have is that I don't know where the actual horn wire goes, the only wire I see that looks as if it may work is the one connected to the upper steering column bearing (item 11 in the diagram on LMC)....the old rusty piece I pulled out of the hole in my wheel had a piece of rusted wire coming off of it.....It looked like item 14, horn spring bushing, on the LMC diagram but I don't see a wire coming off of it....I don't even see a spring anywhere in that diagram....I may end up buying items 14,16 and 21 just to see if I can piece it together. Thanks again for the help though!.

6. squirrel

squirrel

you need the horn switch. It's a couple metal plates, with an insulator between them. It has a tab that fits into a hole in the steering wheel, and it is retained by the steering wheel nut and washer. And the horn button which snaps onto the switch. You also need something to make contact with the stuff under the steering wheel, but since the wheel is a different size and design than the original, it gets complicated. I think you can modify the contact ring to fit the old steering wheel, but it's been a while since I messed with the later design parts.

https://www.classicindustries.com/s...ts/interior-hard-parts/steering-wheel-column/

7. Chiss

Chiss
    from S.C.

Under the horn Button. Like Squirrel said it snaps together in an Assembly.

8. squirrel

squirrel

those parts are not used with that steering wheel. The link I posted above is the horn switch assembly for the 54-59 trucks.

9. BillUSMC

BillUSMC

I got the horn parts I needed from the LMC truck link! Thank you. For those in same boat, I used items 15 and 21. I didn't use item 14 because the ididit column already had a contact pin with spring on it, I just modified it a bit. Items 15 (horn contact plate) has a small amount of space in between the two pieces with just enough "spring" to touch the contacts to the horn pin spring that was already on the ididit column. it worked like a charm. Thank you all for the help.