Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest MUST READ CAR SHOW ETIQUETTE GREAT TIPS :)

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by flattandscruggs1, Jul 15, 2017.

1. flattandscruggs1

flattandscruggs1
    from alabama

good morning my friends on the hamb a friend on facebook posted this great article on great tips on car show etiqutee i was at a concert here in our town last night and this came along on my newsfeed on facebook last night and i wanted to share it with you guys and gals and i wanted to start a discussion with you.

While most people who attend car shows are kind and considerate, a small percentage are not. They will do things that annoy or insult car owners, belittle their hard work, or even damage their vehicles. No one wants scratches on the car they spent HOURS polishing to a high gloss. The trouble is, most of us have said or done something that qualifies as being rude without realizing it or meaning to. So give the following a look and make sure your not "That person."

Don’t Touch the Cars!
    Seriously – don’t touch the cars.
    Just don’t do it!
    Don’t lean on it.
    Don’t reach out and put your hands on it.
    Don’t accidentally brush it with your coat or bag as you walk by.
    Don’t back into it while you’re trying to take a photo of another car.
    Don't rub against it as your trying to squeeze between two cars.
    Just don’t do it.
    Don't touch unless your naked. Zippers, snaps, buckles, rivets, watches even fingernails can and will scratch paint.
    Seriously – don’t touch the cars.

Mind Your Children
    Bringing a kid to a car show is wonderful thing, but your kids are your responsibility. They shouldn’t ever touch cars, throw toys that hit cars, sit in cars, sneeze on cars, stick their heads into cars and drip snot on the seats, etc. Don't let them throw dirt, rocks, toys, etc. Some people don't mind if the kid gets in the car but make sure it is okay before your kid climbs on or in a car, most people don't want fingerprints or candy stuck all over their car.

Don’t Talk Trash
    You just spotted a terrible show car. It’s sloppy. It’s ugly. It’s not even clean. You roll your eyes, make snide comments, chuckle, tell your buddy what’s wrong with it, and move on. Here’s the thing, someone in the world loves that car like a member of the family. They don’t see the problems, the dirt, or the fact that it’s downright hideous. They see a beautiful machine worthy of endless attention…and they don’t need your disrespect.
    The same goes for the newer cars. It doesn't have to be 40+ years old to be beautiful, fast, expensive, have a lot of work into it. Not everyone can afford a show car and a driver or they love their car so much they prefer to drive it all the time.
    Unlike some, they made a big effort to come to the show, paid the entry fees, spent their time to do things to their ride, spent hours cleaning and polishing (or maybe not, you rat rod guys know what I mean) and subjected themselves to the public eye. They don’t deserve to hear trash talk…so if you can’t say anything nice, just don’t say anything. Maybe they are just getting started and wanted to show what they have started with or the mods they have done so far. Not everyone has a $200,000+ show car build by so and so. We all start somewhere.

Watch for the Lenses!
    Tough to shoot photos when there is always someone in the way
    There are always automotive photographers at cars shows, always someone that wants to get a picture of some nice ride. Some are there for fun and some are earning a living, news paper, magazine, etc. Don’t just ignore the photographers because you want a better look. Be polite and look around often and check that you aren’t messing up someone’s shot. Just as importantly, don’t walk into someone else’s shot. This is more true now with the high quality cameras built into phones so pay attention to your surroundings. I see this a lot and deal with it a lot myself, it's not easy getting a clean shot.

Be considerate of others.
    If your showing your car, don't crank your stereo. Some people enjoy the music already playing by the DJ or Announcer. They also want to listen to any information, door prize give away, contests, problems etc. that might come across the loud system. If your blaring you bazillion watt stereo, no one can hear it.

Pick up your trash.
    Don't just leave your nasty rags, empty cleaner or detail spray bottles, soda cans, water bottle etc. Someone has to clean up after the event, most times it is the person that had to get there two hours before the show to set things up. They are hot, tired and ready to go home too.

Very important, no matter what you think of the other cars, remember that a lot of hard work, blood, sweat and tears have gone into them. Someone has spent their hard earned money, time away from family or with someone special that might not be around anymore. In the end, we all share a passion about cars, we are all the same at the core.

In the end, a little common sense and courtesy goes a long way to helping everyone enjoy the show. Hope to see you there!

Thanks your friend

Allen Flattandscruggs1 Culver :)

2. You forgot "DONT BRING YOUR FRIGGIN' DOG!!"
    Watched a dog jump up and put it's feet the door of a car at a show. Everyone always blames the dog.....

3. flattandscruggs1

flattandscruggs1
    from alabama

good point also too leave your dogs at home also too i did not write the article so he must left that also out too

Mark E Potvin, klleetrucking and els like this.
  4. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

Bikes...bicycles. NO!!! If you see someone on a bike respectfully ask them to keep it away from the cars. Along the same lines but strollers! Mind the strollers. Kids are awesome. Bring them to every event you can. But mind the strollers!

5. flattandscruggs1

flattandscruggs1
    from alabama

True mind the strollers keep them away from the cars they can scratch the cars also too lets say if one of the stroller go the wrong way and hit a fender of a street rod or any other car than what are you going to do. when your paint job is expensive

Mark E Potvin, speedysilver and els like this.
  6. I don't do car shows much anymore, but I roll all the windows up and lock the doors. Always someone leaning in or opening the doors. Lotta people out there with zero common sense or respect for other peoples property.

7. flattandscruggs1

flattandscruggs1
    from alabama

hi guys just posted this on facebook let me know you think of this thanks allen

One last thing the author that left out of the car show etiquette was bringing dogs to car shows over the last couple of weeks i have been on the car show circuit i have seen people bring their dogs to the car shows and some dogs go after each other trust my dogs do the same thing also too.would you like to have you tires pissed on or your cars fenders scratched and a $300,000 or more paint job ruined?your dogs should be at home with your family not at a car show with expensive cars alot of these people who come to car shows do not realize how much work it takes and care it takes i know when i was alot younger i cleaned my dads 31 ford sedan for a little while going to car shows almost every weekend and winning trophies at car shows. i have been on the car show circuit for over 20 years.

Thanks for your understanding

8. the metalsurgeon

the metalsurgeon
    from Denver

I'm interested in the $300,000 paint job,tell me more....

9. flattandscruggs1

flattandscruggs1
    from alabama

there is a place not too far from us some paint jobs do cost $200,000 or $300,000 especially the type of graphics you get on your vehicle and these cars are show winning award cars

belair and els like this.
  10. uncleandy 65

uncleandy 65

I agree with a lot of this. The problem with this is almost all the people that cause the problem are non car people who could care less about the cost of building a car. They bring their dog, kid and strollers and go from car to car without a clue as how to behave. I find that car show people know how to handle themselves at shows and even watch out for other peoples cars. I would hate to think on how many times I have told people to get off someone elses car at a show.

11. mamllc

mamllc

Problem is that people either know this stuff already or they are too stupid to know it. Kind of like warning labels, anyone that is smart enough to read and understand one doesn't need to be told that you shouldn't drink bleach.

12. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

I think of lot of it is other people just don't have a clue the amount of work and dollars put into show vehicles. They don't really stop and think that it's different at a field of show cars than at a Walmart parking lot or even a dealership. Common sense is an uncommon thing anymore....

32 HROD and els like this.
  13. And if there are race cars at the show, walk around them not over them!!

Okie Pete, Montana1, oldsjoe and 2 others like this.
  14. Same thing could be said of the many dumb ass threads here on the HAMB..A guy reads the HAMB and he is instantly a mechanical genius..

XXL__, belair, Hombre and 12 others like this.
  15. flattandscruggs1

flattandscruggs1
    from alabama

Good Point with me i am taking car show pictures i can take picture and shoot videos of cars but i cannot tell you what in a engine in a car after doing this stuff after 20 plus years.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2017
    Bruce Fischer and els like this.
  16. kmrumedy

kmrumedy

Don't ask the owners " So..how much did you pay for the car?"

Pretty rude question I get asked a lot.

17. flattandscruggs1

flattandscruggs1
    from alabama

wow that is one question that i dont ask at all to car people i know you put money into your cars.

18. Don't park your butt on the fender or lean on someones car.

I saw a idiot use a Model A coupe fender to sit his beer can on when taking a picture of the car beside it,the owner saw him do it and you you can bet your sweet arse he won't do that again! HRP

19. Yeah,that's usually a question ask by the local sidewalk commandos. HRP

Bruce Fischer, els and kmrumedy like this.
  20. els

els

Good points on car show etiquette. I myself have a race car I take to the shows. When some one asks "how fast is it?", have your E.T. slip ready for them to see, Sometimes race cars are faster at the car show than on the track.

21. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Show me. Seriously. I've never seen one.

22. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

All good points. One thing that I've seen done, that's done by show participants, is using a lawn chair or what ever to "hold" a spot for a buddy whose running late. A lot of the time, the buddy never even showed. Hey, if he's late.... oh well.

6inarow, 31hotrodguy, ace5043 and 2 others like this.
  23. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

There's one a-hole at work that has to know what everything that everyone has costs. I bought a new pair of boots.
    'What did those run?'
    '$728 with free shipping.' (Less than $50)
    'Holy fuck!!' I need a raise!'
    Annoys the hell outta me. None of anyone's business what my stuff costs!

24. the metalsurgeon

the metalsurgeon
    from Denver

whats the company called?

this 1953 Porsche 356 Pre A ,recently 'Best in Class' at the Colorado Concours de elegance restored by The Metal Surgeon ,paint cost under 20K.

DSC_7521-small 1.jpg

25. TagMan

TagMan
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hell, I charge $500,000 for a paint job. Of course it isn't worth anywhere near that much, but that's my fee. Not sure why I never had a customer.............????

26. the metalsurgeon

the metalsurgeon
    from Denver

That's funny!! Yeah I think I smell something......

32 HROD, Bruce Fischer and els like this.
  27. I wouldn't be too happy if some one is sitting on my DD at Walmart either...just saying.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2017
    belair, Drunk Man, 32 HROD and 3 others like this.
  28. Sheep Dip

Sheep Dip
    from Central Ca

That's when money exceeds brains.

29. The37Kid

The37Kid

Really? Just paint, or do you count the cost of bucks and rolling out the new sheet metal as well? Bob

30. slim38

slim38
    from Sudan TX
    1. H.A.M.B. Chapel

I know what y'all mean. I took my 4 yr old son to a car show last weekend and we went to another one today. It makes me nervous as hell taking him but he did great. I lectured him before the show during and after the show on how to act around peoples rides. Another one to ad to the list is don't spit your tobacco on the ground . Nastiest crap ever!