Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects I Just Bought a Hot Rod Model A Roadster That Was Built In 1959...

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by cactus1, Jun 7, 2017.

1. big duece

big duece
    from kansas

Just when I didn't think the story could get any better, it does... in a HUGE way.

2. Holy!
    Survivor with traceable/ traced documented history
    As cool as it gets in my opinion.

Woogeroo and brad2v like this.
  3. Man, and I thought I was envious when you posted about your '50 Mercury. But this roadster is just so, SO cool, congrats. I'm going to start typing 'hotrod' into MY craigslist searches more often.

Enviro-1 likes this.
  4. hotrd32

hotrd32
    from WA

Outstanding find and I'm glad it went to someone who knows what they have ....

brad2v likes this.
  5. birdog

birdog
    from Monroe, UT

Ok so sweet!!!! Bringing it to the hill climb?

Speedy Canuck likes this.
  6. Looks bitchin' in that old show. Steady onwards!

7. kisam

kisam

Dude, you so scored! Congratulations! Can't wait to hear it fire up!

8. Inked Monkey

Inked Monkey

Nice to finally meet you in person. Can't wait to see the roadster

9. This is another article in that same 1963 magazine about a '29 RPU with a '58 Plymouth engine. Looks like the same alternator to me??

image.jpeg

Thanks!

Ha! Yes! I'm over the moon (as the kids used to say?)

You never know what you'll find, haha!

Thank you!

I'm trying but it's creeping up fast. I don't think it'll happen this year but maybe next?!

I know right?! Tally-ho!

Thanks Kathy! Now I'm in the survivors club with rock stars like you!!

You too man! That was a fun day!

10. brad2v

brad2v

Indeed the same alternator, however, that '58 motor would have had a generator originally. WillyKJr is correct, Ma intro'd the alternator in '60.

11. Sorry, yes! I wasn't trying to infer that the alternator came out sooner just merely paraphrasing the caption that was with the picture and that was the same alt. as on the roadster, so correct for the '63 timeframe.

cmichael, Hombre, dana barlow and 2 others like this.
  12. Dick Stevens

Dick Stevens

I thought that was perfectly clear, simply reinforcing that it was done back in the day!

brad2v and cactus1 like this.
  13. Gotgas

Gotgas
    from DFW USA

I'm the first one that made a comment about it having an alternator. I'm well aware of Mopar introducing alternators on the funny little slant six '60 Valiants and then across the line on the '61 range. I thought my smiley faces made it known that I was teasing.

If anyone is interested in a good story about alternator history, here's a good link: http://www.allpar.com/eek/alternators.html

Stogy and kidcampbell71 like this.
  14. Bam.inc

Bam.inc
    from KS

Keep the Pics coming.
    I know @ 105°F , work may slow down,
    but it's such a great story!

Sent from my SM-G900V using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

15. big duece

big duece
    from kansas

I was so happy to see documentation of the car retained, I had to buy a copy of the Popular Hot Rodding Dec '63 just to have part of the story. Unreal.

16. catdad49

catdad49

Have that mag and was always taken by the streamlined dragster on the cover. This is just a great story and the two letters not only put icing on the cake, but even add a couple candles! Keep us heathens informed, Thanks.

brad2v likes this.
  17. I understood! Thanks for the link!

Thanks man! It's hot AF!

That's awesome that you got a copy! Yes I am so glad he kept those letters! I wish he would have kept all the trophies. I told him we'd try to get some more to replace them, ha!

That dragster is neat. There's a lot of good stuff in the issue actually. There is another car that has a feature in the issue that was at the same show as Lanny's roadster. The awesome part is that car is still around! I've seen it a few times at shows in the last several years and I'm always stopped in my tracks! (I'll put a couple pics up in a bit.) It would be neat to show them both together again once I get the Button on the road again...

18. Here it is at the Starbird show where the Bachelor Button was being shown.

image.jpeg

The feature...
    image.jpeg

The car today! I love this stuff!
    image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Impala steering wheels must have been the hot ticket in 1963!

Hombre, Jet96, Tuck and 6 others like this.
  19. big duece

big duece
    from kansas

I believe I seen the red roadster at the Kansas City Art of the Car Concours. After a long scan of the car, I turn around and nearly walked right into Wayne Carini right behind me.

20. Yes those pics are at the Concours either last year or the year before? I also have pics somewhere from the World of Wheels several years ago.

Rubbin' elbows in KC! :D

brEad likes this.
  21. big duece

big duece
    from kansas

It was two years ago. Went to the Rolling Stones concert the day before, it was 2015 for sure.

cactus1 likes this.
  22. Hell I think you should put it on a trailer and bring it to Salina KKOA this weekend...We all would love to see it in person.

cactus1 and Sancho like this.
  23. I'm hoping to be doing the valve job this weekend if all goes well?!

brad2v, Runnin shine and Stogy like this.
  24. classiccarjack

classiccarjack

Cactus1,

I think that the car looks fantastic!

I am a Kansan myself and I hope to meet some of you on my next visit home from California. I am a Mopar guy, I hope that you don't hold it against me... LOL

Sent from my XT1585 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

cactus1 likes this.
  25. @classiccarjack thanks for checking in! The next time you're back in the area give me a shout!

So the weekend before last I decided to address some of the steering issues. There was a lot of slop which seemed to be between the pitman arm and the box but it would not tighten up so I decided to take everything apart and see what was going on. I also wanted to address the fact the the front wheels pointed off in opposite directions.

This is what I found when I opened the steering box... Ewwww.
    image.jpeg

So I took everything apart for inspection and cleaning. It all cleaned up really well and seemed to be in pretty good shape.
    image.jpeg

The car was white with red bits when it first went together in '58-'60. There is black on most of the suspension bits now but it comes off pretty easily in the parts washer. I rather like the layered look.
    image.jpeg

I discovered why the toe out was so bad. The bends look deliberate but would not let me adjust the toe due to clearance issues. I happened to have a new tie rod on hand so I screwed it all together to make sure I wasn't missing any potential issues. It all looked good so I carefully straightened out the original tie rod (cave man style) and set the toe at about an 1/8" for now.
    image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Once I got the new seal and a locknut the next day I was able to put it all back together. Getting everything cleaned up allowed it to bolt up nice and tight. I made a new gasket for the top of the steering box and squirted it full of JD corn head grease and it's smooth like butter!
    image.jpeg

Last edited: Jul 31, 2017
    BradinNC, Stogy, Hombre and 13 others like this.
  26. On Saturday my pal Chris @2muchstuff vlounteered his and his father's time plus his dad's wisdom and shop equipment to do a valve job on the old 303. We got everything machined and put back together before lunch. It was a great experience and now I want a valve grinding machine, ha! Thanks again Chris!

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

I had had the heads hot tanked and magged so I lost a lot of what little was left of the paint that was on them. The color is a lighter blue than the body of the car and had kind of a home grown flake in it. It actually looked more like glitter in the paint? Anyway, I had some hammer tone paint that is pretty damn close and even has the same shimmer the original stuff had. I didn't feel like I could leave the heads bare so I coated them. I'm sure it will burn off on the exhaust ports eventually and blend right in.
    image.jpeg
    The circled area is a bit of what was left from the original build. Not too shabby?
    image.jpeg

image.jpeg

I hope to get them back on the engine sometime this week. I think I'll soak the lifters in some oil and get them pumped up before I put it all together?

Stogy, Hombre, brEad and 10 others like this.
  27. Looks good Mike! What advantage does Corn Head grease have for steering boxes?

28. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Looking good man!

cactus1 likes this.
  29. Tuck

Tuck
    Tech Editor
    from MINNESOTA
    1. Early Hemi Tech

Kick butt!

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

cactus1 likes this.
  30. Thanks Christopher! The corn head grease is like a liquid grease. It's thicker so it doesn't leak out but is viscous enough when in motion that it won't just get wiped away from the gears like a regular chassis grease would. I read about it either here or maybe Fordbarn? This is the first time I've used it so I have no real world experience to draw from but the box feels smooth and the gears stayed greased when I operated it with the cover off? Fingers crossed!

BradinNC, Stogy, Hombre and 7 others like this.