Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1960 Chrysler New Yorker Rustoration

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by BrandonBerkosky01, May 5, 2017.

1. CURSED GEARS

CURSED GEARS

Another amazing patch. Cant wait to see it fully welded in with patch cleaned. I'm a sucker for bare metal.

BrandonBerkosky01 likes this.
  2. There were 18,079 of those Furys built in 1960.

3. Thanks! yeah I'll clean it up. I've been using what's left of a sheet that I had laying around. It got left out in the rain for a few days. So it has some surface rust on it.

I have a full 4 x 8 sheet brand-new up against the back wall. It's just so hard to move. So I've been using up that smaller sheet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. Just out of curiosity I looked mine up. They made 9,079 of my 4 door sedan.
    I've seen 1 other than mine with my own eyes.

Here she is. Sitting in a guys back yard in Hazleton Pa. $2000 and its mine. Ran when parked.

[​IMG]

IMG]//uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170710/e4b2089a01f5a54ee2d04a229a01a925.jpg[/IMG]

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  5. Scored a bunch of old dolleys and hammers. Also an electric shear, tap and die set, universal joint sockets, slide hammer, brass hammer and a ball pein all for $50 from a yard sale.

[​IMG]

6. flatford39

flatford39

The dolly's are worth it. The one that looks like half of the heel on your boot is my go to for a lot of things. It gets the most work when it comes to framing everything.

7. Oh, a bubbletop, huh?

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  8. Got a guy on Facebook to send me some pics of what the inner support is supposed to look like. This ought to be fun to make.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

chryslerfan55, koolkemp and brEad like this.
  9. manyolcars

manyolcars

awesome work. keep going

10. CURSED GEARS

CURSED GEARS

Ah, we got faith in you.

11. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

Now it can not be said its too rusty to bring back.

12. Jeeze, I saved a better fender than that one when I parted out a '60 Windsor years ago. I forget what all else I saved but when I cut the quarters off the back end bent right up in the air.

13. DIYGUY

DIYGUY
    from West, TX

Alright, show us your stuff!;)

14. Slopok

Slopok

Now I really am a believer in reinCARnation! ;) Remarkable transformation.

15. I found out today New Yorker fenders are 4" longer than all other models. People keep sending me pics of good fenders and it was messing with my head till someone filled me in.

16. Haven't had much progress lately. Busy trying make some extra money doing work on other people's jalopies.
    I started on the inside support today. I'm not going all the way to the edge of the fender where it meets the rocker. As of right now it seems like just a good place to accumulate moisture and rot out again.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

They're de rusting in the vinegar now. I'll get back at it tomorrow.

17. DIYGUY

DIYGUY
    from West, TX

How about a pic of that too? I can't get over how you approach a repair. I get my brain to analyze the reconstruction steps like that.

18. You wanted to see this step? I have a lot better pics of the vinegar action back a few pages when I did the drums and backing plates.

[​IMG]

chryslerfan55 and DIYGUY like this.
  19. Gahrajmahal

Gahrajmahal

Several years ago I was curious to see if anybody had made a roadster or hot rod body using late model sheet metal like the Atomic Punk. A HAMB'er suggested I check out this thread.

This guy scoured the junk yards for similar shapes, cut them out and welded them into a roadster body. For some of your more complicated shapes, this might be an easier way to complete your project.

20. That's a cool idea. I actually save old fenders and pieces of patch panels. Like if I only use half of a cab corner or a floor pan I keep the pieces in case I ever see a use for one.
    I've never actually had it work out but I still save everything.
    I'm not going to ruin the surprise but I think u guys will really dig my rocker panels when I get there.

21. Had a few hours today so I nearly wrapped up my fender.
    Just need to make the bracket that is used to bolt the fender to the rocker pinch weld.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

22. What do you mean about how I approach a repair? The paper templates?

23. Jimmy2car

Jimmy2car
    from No. Cal

I don't know what you do for s living, BUT, if there ever was a guy that should open his own custom/hot rod shop, YOU are that guy.
    Wow

24. Jimmy2car

Jimmy2car
    from No. Cal

One more thing, Brandon.
    In working on cars from back east, what do you do after repairs to try to stop the rust from re-occurring?
    Thanks
    Jim

25. DIYGUY

DIYGUY
    from West, TX

You have a natural talent to know how to piece your repairs back together. Take that fender support you just finished for example. Your first pic was a complete surprise to me as how to begin the repair. I am trying to learn from you and this is one of the best "how to" threads I have seen. There are guys on the hamb with lots of equipment and they would just make that support in one piece. I have very little in tools so your way is right up my alley. I do templates too, much easier to cut cardboard with scissors.

26. Thank you. As far as equipment I have secondhand stuff that I find and I have a lot of luck with the harbor freight metal working tools. That planishing hammer never gives me any trouble.
    I would love to come across a nice brake.
    I basically assess the situation and think how can I make that with the tools available.
    One of my all time best scores was the 1952 Zubal Preci-matic lathe. I will be buried with it.

Here's where the "magic" happens. 25x30 garage behind my house.
    No matter what kind of day I had. I open the big door hit the lights and everything is ok.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

27. I really like the tractor supply tractor paint. Por15 works nice too. I also spray the insides of panels using a hose with a nozzle on the end. On my trucks I spray used motor oil underneath and in the rockers.
    Best bet is don't drive them in the inclement weather. But sometimes you can't avoid it.

28. Started on the pass floor pan.

[​IMG]

I also ordered the balljoints and control arm bushings. I want to get the front end ready to put back in once I get the firewall and floors painted.

[​IMG]

46international and koolkemp like this.
  29. wvenfield

wvenfield

What? You can't just make them from stuff lying around? I'm dissapointed. LOL

30. Well now, I do have a lathe and a press. You may be onto something.

brEad and wvenfield like this.