Register now to get rid of these ads!

Vintage Sun Tune Up, Testers, Scopes, Analyzer, Distributor Thread

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Flathead Johnny, Oct 14, 2013.

1. Kustomkid

Kustomkid
    from Montana

Here is my Lincoln Mercury sun motor tester. All the manuals are Lincoln Mercury instead of sun. Everything works on it. [​IMG]

My Weidenhoff machine. [​IMG]
    And my sun distributer machine. [​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

oldgoaly, cactus1, Paul and 3 others like this.
  2. cmpcpro

cmpcpro

I am interested in an engine analyzer if anyone knows of a good one around Los Angeles area. thanks

3. Oldtimermichel

Oldtimermichel
    from Germany

Hello,
    here are my new French toys:)
    This is a distributor - tester, like Sun-DT, from French company Souriau. (from 1962?) I have bought him in a very bad state in France and have restored again totally. The tester works again perfectly, all functions are similar to the Sun distributor machines.
    The prices for the Sun-DT-machines in USA are so high, I do not understand at all. So I bought this 'cheap' tester from France ... not for 2000$ - 4000 $:p
    IMG_4447.JPG

IMG_4446.JPG

Greetings from Germany
    Michel / Mike

oldgoaly, Kustomkid, loudbang and 3 others like this.
  4. ago

ago
    from pgh. pa.

Looks like a well made machine!

loudbang likes this.
  5. john walker

john walker

Just picked this one up at an estate sale. Still works.
    IMG_0630.JPG

Dog_Patch, cactus1, oldgoaly and 3 others like this.
  6. Kan Kustom

Kan Kustom

I just bought a SUN SPEEDOMETER TESTER . The main unit has a tag that says Sun Speedometer Tester MASTER MODEL It has two units built in to one cabinet. One says Sun magnetizer unit No. 220 on the tag and the other says Sun calibrator unit No. 210 Does anyone have any information or manuals for this machine ?

7. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Is this it? If so send me a pm with your mailing address and I will send it to you[​IMG][​IMG]

loudbang and Truck64 like this.
  8. I finally got my machines together in the new garage.

image.jpeg

Dog_Patch, oj, dan griffin and 5 others like this.
  9. blksheep

blksheep

vat and engine analyzers 2.jpg This is what my garage looked like the morning.
    ( I'm a retired Sun Rep.)

Dog_Patch, loudbang, cactus1 and 2 others like this.
  10. Flathead Johnny

Flathead Johnny
    from MA

I started this thread years ago and I stepped away from collecting them for a few years while I focused on a house remodel, I decided to pick up where I left off and decided to hit ebay....well, what the bleep happened to prices over the last few year? They are crazy high.

loudbang likes this.
  11. IMG_1607.JPG Yes I noticed that too! Sucks! I did buy this little guy recently though!

Dog_Patch, Countn'Carbs and loudbang like this.
  12. Flathead Johnny

Flathead Johnny
    from MA

I wonder if they are actually selling at those prices? If they are I probably have 15-20k in sun stuff, the collection may flow out of the garage lol

Dog_Patch, loudbang and cactus1 like this.
  13. Mac_55

Mac_55

Hey Guys . Just found this thread while researching a Garage sale buy today . This was sitting on a shelf in the back corner of this garage , I was told it was not forsale and then as i was walking the fella through a price on it and i loaded it . its not an actual tester , it says " Ignition Simulator " and the Model number is " I S D " im guessing for " Ignition Simulator Display " . it is in Beautiful shape and looks barely used . The distributor in it looks like new and it has a delco Remy tag of 1110929 which says the distributor is for a 57-58 Oldsmobile 371 . Just curious if anyone else has ever stumbled across or has used one of these " Simulators " and maybe what date its from , Im guessing the distributor date is a really good indication of age.

Attached Files:

Dog_Patch, loudbang and slack like this.
  14. oj

oj

I sent my electricals off to Mark in Michigan for rebuilding. I was testing a distributor and burned up some original capacitors and resistor in it. We tried to fix it without success, Mark was helping us along the way it came time to let the professional have at it. He tested by zenon lamp, replaced and upgraded the electrical to digital and all new componants for a very reasonable amount. It only took a couple weeks and I was back in business.
    This is an old pic, I must've been re-arrainging things or something as I don't stack things on it. The sparkplugs work, connect them to the distr with the coil off the car and you can really see whats what. DSC00012.JPG

Dog_Patch, Countn'Carbs and loudbang like this.
  15. Oh man I want that! I believe you use it with the distributor machine but that is merely an uneducated guess.

Plus, I just brought home a '57 371 Olds engine!

loudbang likes this.
  16. Mac_55

Mac_55

I have seen a few that are used with the Distributor machine , But this one is not . It is all self contained inside the small blue cabinet below , There is a drive motor i believe for the Distributor . That distributor in it looks like it came in the machine . Litterally like brand new . And the cap has a window cut out in it , not a window for the points but like an actual cut away so you can see the spark jumping inside from terminal to terminal . ill make a video tonight when it gets dark and post it.

Kan Kustom, loudbang and cactus1 like this.
  17. Ok gotcha. I was looking at it on my phone and didn't see that it was a self contained unit. So neat. I love this shit! Can hardly wait for the vid!

loudbang likes this.
  18. Mac_55

Mac_55

Here is a video i took earlier . I went to take a video and notcied there was a small broken belt so i had to hunt one of those up . It was just a small oring that had cracked from being dry and old .

19. So neat! Thanks for the vid!

loudbang likes this.
  20. Oldtimermichel

Oldtimermichel
    from Germany

Hello,
    I ask myself what I can test with it (Ignition Simulator)?? picture.jpg
    I found this image on Google ...

Greetings from Germany
    Michel/Mike

loudbang likes this.
  21. Yes this is what I was thinking of when he first posted it.

54stude and loudbang like this.
  22. 24riverview

24riverview

Just bought a 3 ring notebook with several early 50's Sun Instruction manuals. If you would like a scan let me know.
    Generator Field Rheostat Model GFR
    Alternator Tester Model CL
    Combustion Tester Portable Models
    Cylinder Leakage Tester Model CLT
    Battery Starter Tester Models Y, BST &Y 20
    Volts Ampere Tester Model VAT
    Volts Ampere Tester Model CB
    Portable Speedometer Tester Model ST
    Regulator Resistance Unit Model C-ADT-1
    Armature Tester Model AT
    Generator & Regulator Tester Model GRT-1
    Generator & Regulator Tester Model GRT-30-35

cactus1, Dog_Patch, j-jock and 3 others like this.
  23. PAracer

PAracer

24riverview,
    That's a very generous offer. I could use a copy of the cylinder leakage tester manual. I'll send u a PM with my email address.
    Thanks,
    Mike

loudbang likes this.
  24. upspirate

upspirate

loudbang likes this.
  25. What is the number of the tube you are looking for? I may have something, but there are sites on the internet that still sell tubes.
    Bob

loudbang likes this.
  26. 40zr1

40zr1

Just found this thread, I have a Sun machine that I don't know how to use. I need to get info off machine.

27. flatheadtommy

flatheadtommy

Heres a couple of machines I was trying to sell with no luck , the Ford tester is a factory unit used in well equipped Ford agency's in the 1940's. the Allen is a distributor machine used in most garages. and a KRW Ford distributor timer tool. IMG_1012.JPG IMG_0992.JPG IMG_0948.JPG

28. Here is my Sun 740 engine tester. The scope didn't work when I got it. I will go through it and change out the capacitors before I attempt to fire it up.
    The glass is broken on my exhaust gas analyzer. I would really like to get it replaced and find the instructions to get it working.
    I have a Precision tester that I routinely use on my older vehicles. It has a good scope and I have the instructions.
    I would love to get my hands on a Sun distributor tester. Sun 740 engine tester .jpg

Dog_Patch and loudbang like this.
  29. X2 on PAracer's comment that your offer is generous and appreciated. I would also like to get my hands on the instructions for the exhaust gas analyzer.
    Bob

30. j-jock likes this.