Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1941 Merc custom

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by Black Clover Custom, Jan 25, 2017.

1. phat rat

phat rat

The reproduction rear glass in my cpe is laminate and that was bought over 20 yrs ago. That's also why I was able to get one that the tint was in the glass not on it.

2. Black Clover Custom

Black Clover Custom

IMG_1275 (1).JPG IMG_1277.JPG Got it to the chemical dipper today. Hood and fenders and trunk lid and doors tomorrow. Then I start the chop! Figured it would be better to dip it clean before anymore welding so that the backside of all the welds would be clean metal and not pull in junk. Like roofing tar from the inside of the body. Or whatever that stuff is.

3. Black Clover Custom

Black Clover Custom

Got the car back from acid dip and made a body table for it.
    Then aligned the doors and worked the front lower curved piece at the bottom of the cowel.
    And i started to chop things.
    Pics are in sequence of what i cut off first.
    Going with 4 1/2 at A pillar and more at B and C but i will wait until i have it laid down to see how much.
    Gonna try to keep the drip rail but i wont be sad if it comes off. I did cut off 5" of the lower drip to start.
    Measured 2 3/4 of forward movement for the top at A pillars but i may need more or less. We will see how things line up.
    IMG_1280.JPG IMG_1282.JPG IMG_1279.JPG IMG_1284.JPG IMG_1283.JPG IMG_1285.JPG IMG_1286.JPG IMG_1287.JPG IMG_1288.JPG IMG_1289.JPG IMG_1290.JPG

4. Black Clover Custom

Black Clover Custom

Ok here she is... 4 1/2 A pillar, 4 B pillar and 6 C (drip rail) pillar area in back.
    Whatcha thinks? More? Good?
    I like it and think its mild and still has some of its stock roof look. Although the hump is definitely going away. IMG_1298.JPG
    IMG_1291.JPG IMG_1292.JPG IMG_1293.JPG

5. Chebby belair

Chebby belair
    from Australia

6. Torchie

Torchie

You got right after it didn't you. :)
    If you can, post a full on side profile shot.
    based on the specs you posted, I would think it should look good.
    I personally don't care for the "Over chopped" look on these style of cars.
    Torchie

7. Black Clover Custom

Black Clover Custom

I was thinking of that shot today but i have to put wheels on the table to get it to roll back. Or else its behind the post. Workin on it!

8. CadMad

CadMad

I agree with Torchie. From what I see it is well balanced. I like chops that don't look like chops. .
    . . that look like stylist's original design sketches. ie as the designer intended them to look from new.

brEad and Torchie like this.
  9. Black Clover Custom

Black Clover Custom

IMG_1301.JPG IMG_1302.JPG IMG_1304.JPG IMG_1305.JPG IMG_1306.JPG IMG_1308.JPG IMG_1309.JPG So i started putting it back together. Got a nice curve on the upper rear window. Think the l/r side curtain pieces will work also.
    Wont have to use that much lead on this one. Too bad. Wanted to pretend i was that old guy with the cigar... yeah, that guy.

10. The 39 guy

The 39 guy

[​IMG]
    Bill Hines! The lead master!Pretend is what most would have to do. Your chop is coming right along. I am following it with interest.

juan motime, chryslerfan55 and brEad like this.
  11. Chop is looking good. Love to see such talented work.

Black Clover Custom likes this.
  12. Black Clover Custom

Black Clover Custom

I can watch Bill's videos they have gotten of him leading a car all day long.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  13. sawzall

sawzall

glendale likes this.
  14. Black Clover Custom

Black Clover Custom

??? What are you worried about?
    Movement? I had the body off when i cut off ALL of the front floor,rockers, and trunk. Nothing moved after i braced it inside with 1" tubing.
    I put the doors back on it before chopping it and they lined up nicely. NOTHING in the door gaps has moved since chopping it. I think the inside bracing is holding up really good. Doubt if it will move anywhere and not show it at the door gaps.

slim38 likes this.
  15. When it comes to lead work I got two words for ya: Bill Hines. However looking at your chop photos I think he would approve.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

16. Okie Pete

Okie Pete
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

17. Black Clover Custom

Black Clover Custom

Thanks guys. Its coming along pretty good. I reworked the left and right areas of the upper rear window seam a bit more today. Even better flow than the last pic. Gonna be good.
    Later i am dragging the car/table out of the way of the lift posts and im getting the whole side of the car pic.

18. fortynut

fortynut

I read this with a lot of skepticism, as I am sure many have. Yet, something about your attitude to others who certainly pinned your ears back, that kept me following your journey. When the time came to actually do the work, your abilities really came to the fore and, so far I like what I see. Classic lines deserve respect, and you appear to have a sense of what is right and wrong for the period car you're working on. Kudos to you! Keep up the good work. But, if you falter, and a gunner's seat would be such on a fighter plane, by way of example to explain why you don't put rumble seats where they don't belong.

19. Black Clover Custom

Black Clover Custom

Thanks man. Yeah the rumble seat idea is a dream for another car. Not gonna happen :)

rodncustomdreams, koolkemp and 302GMC like this.
  20. Black Clover Custom

Black Clover Custom

Side shot and reworked upper hump l/r areas. Also cut bottom rear window panel and tacked it in so its not one over the other. Meets flush now.
    IMG_1312.JPG IMG_1313.JPG IMG_1315.JPG IMG_1314.JPG IMG_1311.JPG IMG_1310.JPG

21. Black Clover Custom

Black Clover Custom

Promise my car wont look like this! yup.jpg

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  22. Oh yes. Very nice!

Not the plane, the pic before that. :)

23. Torchie

Torchie

Looking good!!
    Torchie

24. topher5150

topher5150

so how many cases of beer would it take you to fly out here to work on my car?

25. Black Clover Custom

Black Clover Custom

Ship it out to me! What car do you have?

26. topher5150

topher5150

I have a 47 Ford coupe. I'm thinking the shipping will be worth more than what I paid for the car

27. Black Clover Custom

Black Clover Custom

You may want to check Eugene craigslist... roller frame here for 200! Maybe the guy could cut pieces of it off for you.

28. topher5150

topher5150

I'm gonna try a couple of other things first, but I'll keep that in mind.

29. Black Clover Custom

Black Clover Custom

Made the filler panels for the back sides and got the right side quarter window tacked in.
    IMG_1316.JPG IMG_1317.JPG IMG_1319.JPG

30. Lots of little pieces to make it all come out right. :)