Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage Bonneville is a month away...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jive-Bomber, Jul 6, 2017.

1. Jive-Bomber

Jive-Bomber

Jive-Bomber submitted a new blog post:

Bonneville is a month away...

[​IMG]

Continue reading the Original Blog Post

2. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

bflat_cam_current.jpg Unless you are at the USFRA Test and Tune. Then it's right now. Today s salt picture. Looks a lot like yesterdays.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2017
    chriseakin, Nobey, RMR&C and 2 others like this.
  3. Can't wait! Missed it the last couple years, but I'm GOING this year!

4. chiro

chiro

Always been a dream of mine to go. Unfortunately, I'm on the wrong side of the country to make it an easy trip. However, I am retiring this year and next year I am planning on finally going next year. I hope the salt is in good shape next year as well.

Andy

rjones35 likes this.

5. jroberts

jroberts

I have been once and that was much too long ago. I would love to get back at some point. It is something you will never forget.

6. seatex

seatex

it's downright magical. Can't wait to go back someday............

7. I made the trip from New Zealand last year and had a ball, I wish I was going this year too. For those going for the first time a bicycle is a must to get around the two mile long pits and an FM radio so you know whats happening. JW

Dog_Patch and firstinsteele like this.
  8. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

A bicycle may get you around the pits pretty good. But a race car will get you down the course a lot better. And then you can say you have been to Bonneville. Long tow from New Zealand, I know. But the rest of you, get crackin.

9. Taco on the salt.jpg Ran there every year from 1960 through 1971, then one more time in 2010. Some of the best times of my life. If you go once, you will go back, guaranteed!! And, a mini bike is perfect for salt cruising.

jeffd1988, LOU WELLS, OL 55 and 2 others like this.
  10. Dodge Brother

Dodge Brother

I went for the first time last year and reserved our hotel room for this year months ago! We've been waiting 11 months so far to go back! I've been to all types of racing events and NOTHING is the same as this!

NINE INCH likes this.
  11. BrandonB

BrandonB
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from nor cal

<<<< Look at picture on left.

LOU WELLS likes this.
  12. Captain Ned

Captain Ned
    from Vermont

I've only ever had the chance to be at Bonneville once, in April a couple of years ago. Lots of salt in the making, but not much salt. Bonneville.jpg

13. montero

montero

It's on my bucket list. I could do it this August. Coming from Indiana, what is the best way to get there? Where would I fly into?

14. too many fords

too many fords
    from Las Vegas

is it worth it if I can only be there sat and sunday 12/13th?

LOU WELLS likes this.
  15. Todd553

Todd553

Yes! 2 best days.

LOU WELLS likes this.
  16. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

Salt lake City

17. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Went out in 03 to the USFRA meet
    Drove my car out there....made 10 passes down the short course and drove back home.

Dog_Patch likes this.
  18. Jive-Bomber

Jive-Bomber

Fly into Salt Lake City and head 88 miles due West on Hwy 80 to the Nevada border-- Can't Miss it!
    If you rent a car, tell them your in town for a wedding or something! ;-)

LOU WELLS likes this.
  19. guy1unico

guy1unico

One of the most meaningful experiences I have ever had.
    Laid back and very intense...if you get my drift.
    IMG_2227.JPG

jeffd1988, Dog_Patch and LOU WELLS like this.
  20. I've been 4 or 5 times....ran a car one year. Now that I'm retired [fixed income] I have to choose between:
    1....Staying home and spending my saved cash on 34 ford parts.
    2.....spending the saved $$$ going to B'ville
    3.....spending the saved booty on a trip to Joplin for the HAMB drags.
    If I invest on the Bonneville option and it rains, I'm gonna be pissed. Did that one year and my brother and I went to the end of the road where a buncha other racers were and ended up drag racing his SBC Morris minor. Kinda fun but not what we signed up for.
    I think I'll prolly go to the drags.. bvillesaltbobkandlurkermick.jpg

bobss396, lurker mick and Tman like this.
  21. And a real extra for going is the car show at the Nugget, not a street rod in sight! I feel in love with this Model A, BrandonB. I wanted to take this back to New Zealand.............Very nice. JW
    [​IMG]

54stude and Dog_Patch like this.
  22. Randy Radford

Randy Radford

If you haven't gone you should go. Bonneville is a treasure trove of roadsters coups motorcycles and everything else you can imagine. Some of the best memories i have of my father have been sumers working on our racecar and going to speedweek. The people you meet are, for the most part, salt of the earth hot rod people. Folks we've pitted next to have become lifelong friends who we talk and email year round. The stateline carshow is a treat that I recommend to everyone.
    See you on the salt.

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk

ghornbostel likes this.
  23. bondolero

bondolero

Nugget is probably full for the weekend ???? Only place to stay ???
    Never been but.................................

24. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

I canceled my room at Knights Inn. Might try there.

25. OL SWEDE

OL SWEDE
    from midwest

According to some posts on Land Speed Racers site room cancellations already coming so rooms are available. Don't know about pricing.
    Making my 1st journey to the salt as a spectator got to start somewhere.

26. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

Look at post #2. This is todays picture of the salt. Cone has blown over. Storm must have come through bflat_cam_current.jpg

LOU WELLS likes this.
  27. typo41

typo41
    Member Emeritus

It is really my life, and it started back in 1992. Well I do have a day job, but most of the rest of my, and my wife's, time/life is land speed racing. We have seen the highs and are living through the lows.
    The followers of Bonneville Salt History, not just the suddenly have an interest in the salt, have seen great salt and terrible salt. I have seen SpeedWeek stopped on Tuesday from rain, I have seen the temps, and humidity in the triples, and I have seen jackets and sweatshirts and racers happy in be in firesuits. I have had motors blow on the first pass, and motors hold together for the 'long drag race' to the three mile. I have made many friends, so many that I have trouble remembering names. I have seen Al Teague do 400 mph+ (and he is now one of the friends). I had Nolan White blow through the start line at 200+ on one of the last reverse return runs, while we were eating breakfast in the pre-stage (we had just been standing at the start line).
    My wife Chick is one of the evil Tech Inspectors, and has been a starter. And she is President of our Racing Club here in So Cal. I am the head of the Club Reps for SCTA board meetings.
    I am I trying to brag, no. It's, for us, a lifestyle, not a bucket list. We might be one of the lucky few that looked towards a dream/goal. We are not a rich racing business owners that use land speed as a platform for new products.
    We are just like the many: quiet, hard working, racers that are very lucky.
    Every rodder 'worth their salt" needs to go,,,,,

crminal, deucemac and NINE INCH like this.
  28. 1964Polara

1964Polara
    from Cologne

We are coming all the way from germany...first time for us but just from 15th late afternoon.
    When is the car show at the Nugget? What else is going there beside the salt races?

29. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

By the 15th a lot of the fans will have left and many race cars. people will still be parking in front of the Nugget. But not nearly as many as on the first weekend. I have the feeling that this years entry may be down some. There are some club barbecues during the week. But the Speed Trials is pretty much the whole show.

flightt likes this.
  30. JC Sparks

JC Sparks
    from Ohio

If the long course is good we plan on dropping the new big engine in Sunday night and get after it Monday morning. I can't wait to really step on the tuneup. JC

26 T Ford RPU likes this.