Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects *AC or No AC*

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Zippi, Jul 3, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Muttley

Muttley

Your wife wont ride in it if it doesn't have air conditioning? Sounds like a bonus.

2. You are entitled to your opinion, you posted criticism right after my first post which was my non-critical opinion on the matter. I assumed it was directed at me so I responded in kind. I know you only from what you write and post. Now that I know you are just another grouchy old fart like me with some miles under your belt, I'll kill the back and forth of what's weak and what isn't. But I still think you would be in a better mood if you had some nice cool A/C in your ride down in steamy Houston! :) :D :cool: Peace brother and enjoy your Fourth!

PS ~ I am in a very good mood because I heading out tomorrow on a 1400 mile drive (one way) to pick up another love, a 1932 Ford Vicky. My wife is not pleased with my new affair though so I'm going solo on this one!

Hnstray likes this.
  3. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

True, but it's still hot in here.

4. upspirate

upspirate

First off I'm not putting down your ride as I actually do like street rods also!:eek: BUT, your engine has enough billet, ( not putting it down as it has it's place) That a polished Sanden compressor wouldn't look out of place. There are company's that make steel brackets that attach to the water pump bolts, not the heads that would work in your set-up.
    Yes running down the road with the windows, cowl vents and windshield is comfortable, but sitting in traffic, running in the rain, and cold weather (heat/a/c combo) make it much more enjoyable.
    I have also served my time in open cars....drove a '29 roadster non-stop Fla-Michigan with just the top in August....no side curtains (had them in the trunk)rear window rolled up & open windshield.Also trips to Louisville in 105 degree heat.
    The wind blown effect is also very fatiguing on a long ride.
    Heat a/c combo makes for nice winter driving also

5. upspirate

upspirate

I made one for sitting in my work semi as the company frowns on "idle"time.It helps just a little for the 1/2-3/4 hr I'm sitting, but just barely takes the edge off.Also the ice is melted after an hr. cooler.jpg

clunker and 31hotrodguy like this.
  6. jeffd1988

jeffd1988

Has anyone used one of these? This is catching my eye. Slightly

Sent from my Z981 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

7. jeffd1988

jeffd1988

Out of all the reading this is the best answer imo just ride til your fed up with the heat I guess. anyways we work on em to keep em on the road at all costs right? Well anyways who are we building these things for? They are contoured to you and passengers if any? And yet if you want this new generation into em they will be happy wen u tell them to get in and they see u have all the features of a new car

Anyways we do whatever it take to show them to who? And why? to look like what to who? Who cares these things are not going to the grave with us and if they get into the next hands they will probably change the paint color and all that other stuff anyways. So like previous person said. COMFORT IS KING. Sory if my type up sound mean I'm just saying

Sent from my Z981 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

31hotrodguy likes this.
  8. 31hotrodguy

31hotrodguy

I wonder if a Yetti cooler would keep the ice from melting. They are pricey and I would cringe as I cut holes in one but it just might work!

Sent from my SM-G550T using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

9. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

^^^^^ Make up air will still be hot. So that's a no.

fourspeedwagon and upspirate like this.
  10. upspirate

upspirate

Yep, the fan is blowing warm/hot air in & across the ice,so it melts rather fast.
    Mine is a small size cooler....just a bit bigger than a 6 pack,9 pack I think, but how much room is in a small cab for a larger cooler? There are also ways to freeze containers with alcohol/water or saltwater mixes that are supposed to give off colder air and last longer, but I haven't tried them yet

31hotrodguy likes this.
  11. 31hotrodguy

31hotrodguy

Good to know and something to think about. I have a black 57 chevy that's my daily driver and I am always considering other ways to cool it down. The problem is I tend to forget about it until it reaches 100 degrees! Thanks for the reply.

Sent from my SM-G550T using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

12. lonejacklarry

lonejacklarry
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

An old trick from the Austin Healey world from way back: freeze plastic 1 gallon milk jugs and place one in each footwell. It does make a difference for about 3 hours depending on the heat. AH's were the hottest roadsters in the free world and anything helped.

I realize plastic milk jugs are not pre-65 nor traditional but sometimes you have to bend the rules.

13. At the price of those coolers you could go to your local wrecking yard and purchase used components and have spare change for a cold beverage. :D HRP

14. jeffd1988

jeffd1988

[​IMG]. Heres your AC. These seem to help any were you go. Just wet it and go
    There like $12 bucks at Walmart keeps your car traditional for those who want traditional look. I like that it cheap and alot cheaper than buying AC in your car I guess

tfeverfred likes this.
  15. Rocky Top

Rocky Top

A very cold A/C without a doubt. I will be the cool dude in the "Hot Rod".

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

16. nvrenuff

nvrenuff
    from new jersey

I'm with the fan/cooler/ice group. If you're only doing short local drives-than throw it in for her and pull it out for you(ha). Quick hookup up for fan and thats it. Been putting off making one for my truck but with a decent trip coming up I'll be making one real soon.

Sent from my SM-G900V using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

17. OBALLER

OBALLER

That's a tough one. I have a 51 shoebox so I can hide it if I want to because of the hood. But I gotta tell you, it is unbearable driving my sled in the Summer. And of course the majority if good shows are in the Summer. If I had the cash I'd do it.

Sent from my SM-G925V using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

18. aussie57wag

aussie57wag
    from australia

Sounds like a good excuse to leave her at home and a good night out with the guys.

Sent from my SM-T805Y using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

19. For an hours drive up the road to open half your hood I personally can't see the point of air cond,IMHO.
    What was your decision in the end OP?
    A full bodied car knowone see's the a/c, An opened engined hotrod is a different matter.

20. smithke

smithke

Change the gears to something more highway friendly. Add the ac and venture out to some shows not in your backyard.

Sent from my Pixel XL using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

aussie57wag likes this.
  21. Moonglow2

Moonglow2

22. custom_lettering

custom_lettering
    from Wall, NJ

100% agree on both. Or get an overdrive trans. My 4:11 set up tachs at 2100 at 70mph. Car gets used way more now.

smithke likes this.
  23. Davereeves

Davereeves
    from Ca

24. southcross2631

southcross2631

Let me guess. You guys who don't want your wives to ride with you in your non air conditioned hot rods ain't getting any when you get home ?

25. LOWDUG37

LOWDUG37

leave her home,save 2K

26. Sweating is traditional! :D HRP

jeffd1988 likes this.
  27. ...... and spend 200K on your eventual divorce!

28. 117harv

117harv

COME ON, can we get back to traditional hot rods and customs?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.