Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage Welcome to the 2017 Meltdown Drags

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Okiedoker, Oct 6, 2016.

1. Toymaker

Toymaker
    from Fresno,CA

My PayPal acct is [email protected]

"Back to Byron" Evil Twin Shirts AVAILABLE!

loudbang and 30dodgeboy like this.
  2. Toymaker

Toymaker
    from Fresno,CA

I actually thought about a front drive single blower belt driven from the opposite side engine......I had to put the pipe down

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

3. wrenchbender

wrenchbender

Couple 4-71 setups would be the right fit then a two port hilborn on each one would be the cats ass my friend but then again a pair of 6-71 mixers and two ports would still be correct

Chrome don't get ya home

Toymaker and loudbang like this.
  4. sc5080

sc5080

Finally ready for Meltdown. Testing of the "Sheets and Giggles" 23 T AA/A went very well. Here's a video of one of the runs:

Really looking forward to seeing everyone there.

Swamp Rat 4, Saxxon, loudbang and 5 others like this.
  5. 55belairx2

55belairx2
    from California

From weather.com

Day
    Description High / Low Precip Wind Humidity
    Thu
    JUL 13 Sunny
    85°65°
    10%
    W 9 mph 58%
    Fri
    JUL 14 Sunny
    87°67°
    20%
    W 7 mph 61%
    Sat
    JUL 15 Sunny
    86°65°
    10%
    WNW 9 mph 60%
    Sun
    JUL 16 Sunny
    86°63°
    10%
    W 9 mph 59%

6. Man! It's looking nice!

7. Toymaker

Toymaker
    from Fresno,CA

GREAT NEWS!

55belairx2 and loudbang like this.
  8. Toymaker

Toymaker
    from Fresno,CA

Everything checks out great on the Twin besides 2 pulled rocker studs......nothing a set of Spiral pins won't take care of[​IMG]
    Ring gears Check
    [​IMG]
    Ring gears to Flywheels Check
    [​IMG]
    Leak Down Check

9. Okiedoker

Okiedoker
    from Wisconsin

Guys - a few questions have come up about tech inspection and we just sent this out this morning.

I actually just ordered a new helmet off of Amazon. (I gotta protect my money maker)..

Dear Meltdown Participant:

We have received a few questions regarding tech inspection at the Meltdown Drags that we wanted to clear up. Byron is an NHRA sanctioned track and follows all of the NHRA safety guidelines:

1) They will check your radiator for anti-freeze. You will not pass tech inspection with anti-freeze unless you are in an unmodified car. The whole reason is that anti-freeze leads to a much longer track clean up than water.

2) Every carbureted vehicle needs dual carb return springs. This is very simple and common sense.

3) Even though we are racing cars that look like 1966, you must meet current NHRA safety requirements. The 3 most common things are:

· Helmets: YOU MUST have a Snell 2010 or Snell 2015 helmet if you are running 13.99 or faster. The Snell 2005 helmet has expired as of 2017 and requires upgraded to 2010 or 2015 models.

· Harnesses/Seatbelts: Must be properly mounted and up to date (not expired).

· Chassis Certification: There are speeds that require specific chassis certifications.

The Meltdown Drags Association does not make any decisions on who can or can't race. The track performs the tech inspection and their say is final.

If your helmet or harness is non-compliant based upon your E.T., it is worth the $100 for your safety!

If you need any clarification, please contact Byron Dragway [email protected] or call them at 815-391-0000. Below is also a link for NHRA rules:

http://promod.nhra.com/userfiles/file/Tech/2017_NHRA_Rulebook_Gen.%20Regs.pdf

10. A few other mandatory safety items that are easy to add if you dont have them already.
    Radiator over flow bottle
    Kill switch
    Drive shaft safety loop
    Toe loop on the gas pedal
    Removing rubber fuel lines
    Removing rubber trans lines
    Ground wire on fuel tank
    Trans shield
    Scattershield
    And probable the best safety device besides belts and a helmet is a engine diaper. They are basically a bag that can catch water and oil. In the event of a engine failure the diaper contains the mess. The chance of crashing due to getting into your oil is greatly reduced. After spending thousands of dollars on your car whats 100-200 hundred more to protect your investment. And the fans and fellow racers are not subject to a long track clean up. I wont race without one regardless of how fast the car goes. We have learned to be safer over the years. Ussually at someone elses expence. No need to recreate the past in all its dangerous glory.

oldsroller and loudbang like this.
  11. It may be a little late to be able to get chassis certs in time for the event. What is the ET/MPH at which chassis certification is mandatory?

loudbang likes this.
  12. Bad Banana

Bad Banana

13. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Guess I won't have to worry about that.

loudbang, Finn Jensen and Deuced Up! like this.
  14. wrenchbender

wrenchbender

Me either cause I'll just have to sand bag a skosh lol

Chrome don't get ya home

loudbang likes this.
  15. Gammz

Gammz
    from Lincoln Ne

Can your scuff a new Snell approved helmet and paint it? Or is that a big no no.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

loudbang likes this.
  16. Saxxon

Saxxon

Spent the afternoon wire wheeling paint off my roll cage... going into SanDale fabrication tomorrow for a cage upgrade. Should come out with an 8.50 cert when they are done. They are also putting in a parachute mount. After I get it back and put it back together it's going to Jeff Wiebe Automotive for a baseline tune next Monday morning. The last time he set it up, it was a monster...

See you at the Meltdown ...

17. yes you can paint a helmet. it is completely legal. check with the manufacturer on the proper materials. new helmets usually come with that info. saxxon are you bringing some good Canadian beer? a cage upgrade is never a bad idea.

loudbang and DubG like this.
  18. Saxxon

Saxxon

Yes - I am bringing some good Canadian beer... this time you and I need to find a lawn chair and actually sit and drink one.

19. cs39ford

cs39ford

Attached Files:

20. Saxxon

Saxxon

Haven't forgotten that helmet ... Can't wait to see you to make the deal final...

21. cs39ford

cs39ford

Will at Swapmeet in my old 39 Friday. Thursday sam's drive in with gasser. And Saturday car show with gasser I would say Friday would be helmet morning.

loudbang and DubG like this.
  22. rawcjw19

rawcjw19

Boy did I do a bonehead move. I drained my antifreeze, refilled with water in a hurry was going to hit a cruise. A Mile down the road got HOT! I didn't get the air out of it. Drilled a couple 1/8 holes in the thermostat fixed that seemed ok.Went to load it yesterday because we were leaving this morning for vacation lt blew water out the headers. Smoked head gaskets. My wife and kids helped me get it fixed knowing what the meltdowns means. It was a rough night but she's fixed and ready!

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

23. Deuced Up!

Deuced Up!
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Second Gear in the Austin Saturday Afternoon...must have been a speed bump at the 60' mark....lol!

Resized_Screenshot_20170701-162932.jpeg

24. Good thing you have those wheelie bars, otherwise you'd have an Austin Somersault!

25. Saxxon Is there a american beer that you like? If its available i will bring some. I have a chair just for you. Look for the white gooseneck trailer with the funny yellowish stinky haze swirling around. While the car is getting tuned ask about a nitro tune. With the cage upgrade nows the time.

Nitro Pontiac, loudbang and Gammz like this.
  26. Uncledirty616

Uncledirty616

Is anyone other than me still thrashing to finish there car???? Im very close.....

Gammz, saltflats, loudbang and 3 others like this.
  27. 55belairx2

55belairx2
    from California

Pretty sure Ryan Pope & Mike Lewis are thrashin' to get the Kamicrosley finished.

28. powrshftr

powrshftr

As usual,I'm still screwing around,trying to get everything done in time.
    Tonight's my last night at work,so I'll have time to get everything finished up...I hope.
    Also,had the car to the track on Saturday,only got to make 2 passes.The first one being bad,the second one being worse.
    There was a major handling issue that we hope to get squared away today or tomorrow.It was so bad we couldn't even make a full pass.Scary.

On the bright side,the power was definitely generous....Its gonna be a fun time:)

Scott

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

29. Uncledirty616

Uncledirty616

Lookin very forward to seeing you there Scott

powrshftr likes this.
  30. Uncledirty616

Uncledirty616

Ric, i assume you will be there?

loudbang likes this.