Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Who sells carpet for 40 Fords?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 40Standard, Jun 30, 2017.

1. 40Standard

40Standard
    from Indy

need new carpet for my 40 Ford sedan. who sells carpet to fit? LeBarron doesn't nor ACC or Trim Parts. I can find rear carpet kits but not front kits. thanks

2. Might check with Cartouche.

lothianwilly71 likes this.
  3. To the best of my knowledge, no Forties came with carpet, so most of the restorer type supply houses may not have a "true-fit" carpet kit. Think most came with rubber flooring so you may have no choice but to get an upholsterer to make up what you need. Good luck, keep us in the loop with what you find out.

4. 40Standard

40Standard
    from Indy

you are correct about the rubber mat. thank you for your help

lothiandon1940 likes this.

5. 40Standard

40Standard
    from Indy

where can I find Cartouche?

6. I don't know how to do a link for you but, if you do a search, it should bring up some results. Like L-B, they are a supplier of upholstery material and kits for primarily Early Fords.

lothianwilly71 likes this.
  7. 40Standard

40Standard
    from Indy

no front carpet kit from Cartouche or Mac's either.

8. No 40's came from the factory with carpet in the front, only rubber mats. You'll need to have someone make front carpet.

9. Just for future reference;........ IMG_4622.JPG

bondolero and lothianwilly71 like this.
  10. 3banjos

3banjos
    from NZ

Catalogue hotrodding at it's finest. Get some made, OR make your own.

11. spooler41

spooler41

I've had more than a couple of 1940
    Ford and as I recall all were equipt with
    Jute backed rubber mats, no carpet.
    The only carpet I've ever seen in a
    '40 was custom, after market stuff.

................ Jack

12. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Do it yourself. The sides of the shift tunnel are essentially flat. Run 2 lengths of carpet as far back as you want. Next, with a heat gun (carefully), warm the sides of a 3rd piece so it forms to the shift tunnel. You'll want to mark where the sides stopped and trim it to fit once you're fully formed. The steel will cool it immediately and shape the carpet pretty well considering the simplicity of it. Once you have the 3 parts made you can use carpet tape like what's used in residential floor coverings. Can't do that? Tape it together and take it somewhere to have it done. Some additional tips, cut your holes for the pedals with a sharpened piece of tube that you hammer through the carpet, make alignment marks with chalk to keep it all close, if you can sew even a little you can run a simple stitch in a few places to maintain alignment, buy a whole box of single-edge razor blades because they're good for maybe 10 to 15 feet of full cut before they dull but they work fine. Take your time and try to remember you're not looking for space shuttle accuracy, it's a "rug". I'm sure some other ideas might pop in as well but a 40 floor is pretty basic. Go for it and good luck.

VF-1, lothiandon1940 and olscrounger like this.
  13. 40Standard

40Standard
    from Indy

thanks for all the replays. a 39 Ford front carpet should be he same as a 40 Ford except for the floor shift hole in the 39. Is this correct?

14. alphabet soup

alphabet soup
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Just an FYI. It doesn't fit perfect, but I used a set for a '65 Mustang. Had to cut it here and there and it's a little full over the trans hump. But it was cheap. If I did it again. I think I would try one for a square body Corvair.

15. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yes, so close you can call em the same. I'm doing the same 3pc gig I mentioned above. As to exactly how I'm doing it you'll have to wait but it should look good.

16. 40Standard

40Standard
    from Indy

I'm waiting. thanks Highlander

17. Bounder

Bounder

Might try calling Stockinteriors in Chatworth Ga. 1-866-868-4577. Maybe can make them for you. The factory is gonna be closed all next week but maybe the offices will be open. On line at Stockinteriors.com

18. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I guess when I read my reply it sounds like I'm in that part of it now. I'm not. In fact shop events has seriously hampered my progress lately but it will continue. The carpet gig, while all sorted and materials in hand, isn't going to be within days or weeks, more than likely, months is more appropriate.

19. 40Standard

40Standard
    from Indy

just remembered, 39 coupe doors are shorter than a 2dr sedan, so the carpet is different there . guess I'll just cut my own