Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1960 Chrysler New Yorker Rustoration

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by BrandonBerkosky01, May 5, 2017.

1. manyolcars

manyolcars

I have been using POR15 for about 35 years with (usually) good results. Once in a while it fails but usually its very good. I brushed POR on a rear fender 25 years ago 1992 and left it in the sun and weather. It went flat but is still there and doing well. I recommend it. Follow instructions, and topcoat it

BrandonBerkosky01 likes this.
  2. manyolcars

manyolcars

Yes, I have 130 on my 66 convertible and it doesnt show wear like that

You are doing excellent work and your presentation on the HAMB is appreciated

3. Drivers floor, rocker.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. [​IMG]

low budget and AndersF like this.
  5. Thanks. Maybe I'll get to drive it someday!!

brEad and 31Dodger like this.
  6. CURSED GEARS

CURSED GEARS

I love finding a good thread that already has several pages. No waiting, instant gratification, except..... I really wanted to see how you capped the fenders, and fixed the trunk weather stripping channel. Guess I will have to wait. Watching you make those patches from scratch is like crack to me, got to have more! Needless to say, I will be following. Good stuff.

brEad likes this.
  7. Thank you!! I'll make sure to keep posting. I have to take a break from the complicated pieces once in a while. I'm back on the pieces where you put an hour in and it looks like you did something.

Peanut 1959 likes this.
  8. gene-koning

gene-koning

That is the only way a guy can keep going on these major projects, work on a few parts that seem to take forever, then take a break and work on a few parts that are pretty quick to see results.
    Sometimes you can stare at a complex area for hours and not have a clue how to go about it, so you go to something else. When you return to the complex area, the plan just unfolds as clear as day, but other times you have to come back to a complex repair a few times before the plan becomes apparent. Its kind of like putting a puzzle together, some parts come easy, some parts take longer, and some parts takes a few attempts. Gene

9. I'm having trouble with the headlight caps. I want them to be perfect so I think I'm psyching myself up to much. I had to walk away. Plenty other work to do.

Peanut 1959 likes this.
  10. This section is the front of the drivers rocker. The challenge was not so much in the shape but the thickness. They are made of .080" thick sheet. Really hard to bend.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

brEad and low budget like this.
  11. Wrapping up this corner. According to the looks and dimensions of the passenger side.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. More rust. I'm so surprised.
    Rotted a little bit around the rear window.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

AndersF likes this.
  13. Squablow

Squablow

I love this build because it's being done purely for the joy of the hobby (would be easier or cheaper to buy one in better shape, but that's clearly not the point) and also it's great to see an "I'm going to fix that up some day" derelict car actually get built, and built pretty damn well, too.

safetythird, brEad, koolkemp and 3 others like this.
  14. I think I may attack this dogleg tomorrow.

[​IMG]

Peanut 1959 and Squablow like this.
  15. Firewall behind heater box.

[​IMG]

steinauge likes this.
  16. I love this trade in program. I drop off a bad door and pick up a good one.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. This side isn't as bad

[​IMG]

18. I was able to save more of the original metal on this side. Its a more accurate representation of the original design. On the other side I made due.

[​IMG]

Started on the pass side dogleg. It's not as bad and I still have the door on so I'll know my gaps will be good.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. Super psyched I gotz my floor pans!

[​IMG]

low budget, Squablow and 31Dodger like this.
  20. The fit is pretty terrible but I'll make it work. I don't know where the guy gets the dimensions for these repops but they're all off so far. (Classicparts4u)

[​IMG]

21. I made the necessary changes to the pan. Still better than making the whole thing myself.
    Also made the filler panel where the pan ends.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

low budget, Squablow and Ford52PU like this.
  22. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

chriseakin, T-roaster and low budget like this.
  23. Had to crack out the ol harbor freight plannishing hammer. Times like this I wish I had a bead roller with forming does.
    Both sides are gone on the bottom.
    I'm going by pictures and "looks good to me"!
    There is a stainless chip guard I can use to hide the sins if I feel the need.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Squablow, brEad and slv63 like this.
  24. X2 for me. I just found and read this from the beginning. I really like your attitude on the build.

This is my method. When jammed up on a problem, I just find something else to do. My mind seems to keep working on it in the background and eventually inspiration strikes.

Regarding rust converters: in my experience they only convert a thin layer of the rust and should encapsulate the remaining rust. When I've gone back to rework an area I've found a distinct layer of converted rust on top of the underneath rust. So far, with proper top coating, I haven't had issues. I've had similar results using rust-converting paint and it saves a step or two. Of course complete removal is always the best option.

Anyway, great job. I'm subscribed for the ride.

25. Doing my best here. I think it looks cool so far.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

T-roaster, brEad and Squablow like this.
  26. DIYGUY

DIYGUY
    from West, TX

Nice piece. Thanks for sharing these "how to". I know it's a PITA to take pics and post and do some actual work too!
    Keep it coming.

27. Thanks. And I don't mind. I document everything I do. For myself and hopefully to help people in the same situation.
    I have thousands of pictures all the way back to about age 15.

AndersF and Squablow like this.
  28. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

29. Squablow

Squablow

Homemade dogleg panel looks damn good, better than a lot of the store-bought replacement pieces Ive seen even.

I bought some floor pans for my '51 Merc from that same eBay guy, we ended up swapping them left and right because they fit better that way. The quality is poor, but for the price you get some clean sheetmetal with nice beads rolled in it and it's dirt cheap so not really a ripoff, just a cheap starting point.

brEad and BrandonBerkosky01 like this.