Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage TROG Bonneville ??

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by typo41, Jun 12, 2017.

1. Elrod

Elrod

The Race of Gentlemen would not be The Race of Gentlemen if it was held at your local modern drag strip.

2. Agreed. At that point it would be a typical "nostalgic drags".

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

3. ELD

ELD

TRoG was started as a beach race for a reason, in the early days of racing beaches were the perfect and often only venue for the pioneers of the sport to race on.
    Wildwood NJ hosted auto races in early 1900's on Central Avenue and also on a beach course marked out with wooden barrels. It's that history that brought TRoG and Wildwood together.
    wildwood.jpg wildwood1.jpg

22-year-old Len Zengel won the 1909 Independence Day Meet in Wildwood taking the cup in his Chadwick Six 60HP the same year he won the inaugural 10-mile meet Indianapolis Motor Speedway.
    trophy1.jpg trophy2.jpg
    Thanks to the efforts of Wildwood Mike, Wildwood Historical Society lent this Historic Trophy for display in the Oilers Tent HQ
    It's about the history of racing, not just racing for the sake of racing.
    Daytona Beach, now IMHFO that would be awesome.

4. The37Kid

The37Kid

Great looking trophy! Chadwick was the first supercharged car built in the USA. Bob

5. gonzo

gonzo

When Mel used to do his Motor Speedway event at English Town it was a blast. The issue with most other "nostalgia drags" is that they allow cars that are too new and you end up seeing the same Camaros and Mustangs that you'd see at any open track night.

If there was a drag racing event on the east coast which stuck to a strict late forties early fifties time period it would be successful and Mel is the guy to get it done... so tell Mel to get to work he's got a third event to plan.

Anyone else remember this?

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

Louie likes this.
  6. ELD

ELD

The Summer of '09 at Motor Speedway NJ was a blast, I have all the photos taken from that summer archived.
    East meets West was a highlight, The Burbank Choppers and Alter Boys spent the weekend and screened Brian Darwas, Devil at your Feet on the makeshift Drive in screen. Another great one was Los Straightjackets and the Nebulas concert. So many great times, my son VanHorton designed all the posters (with Mel's constant input) and with his brother worked with Mel all that summer, camped in his living room.
    53.jpg 27.jpg
    100_7033.jpg 100_7034.jpg 100_7036.jpg 100_7051.jpg 100_7053.jpg

7. Wish I had my last hour back. lol

sko_ford likes this.
  8. Pete

Pete

Yes yes...I remember that weekend,,,,one of the best events iv ever been to.

THAT FLAG GIRL!!!!!!