Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1954 Lincoln Capri.....a car with a small history

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by derthor, Jan 12, 2014.

1. derthor

derthor
    from Germany

I frenched the antenna

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

brEad, Ranchero59 and chryslerfan55 like this.
  2. derthor

derthor
    from Germany

color stripped the fenders and closed the holes

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 22, 2017
    Ranchero59 likes this.
  3. derthor

derthor
    from Germany

same job for the hood, but there was a little bit to much paint .....7or8 layers of paint

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

sandblasted and painted the inside

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Ranchero59 and chryslerfan55 like this.
  4. derthor

derthor
    from Germany

need your help.....does anyone know where I can get a new rubber gasket for my rear window ???

[​IMG]

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  5. coolbreeze1340

coolbreeze1340
    from Indiana

Nice work, keep it up. Here's a picture of my "finished" car.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

6. coolbreeze1340

coolbreeze1340
    from Indiana

7. coolbreeze1340

coolbreeze1340
    from Indiana

brEad and derthor like this.
  8. derthor

derthor
    from Germany

brEad likes this.
  9. woodbutcher

woodbutcher

:D Hi derthor.Please keep the updates coming as you are able.Things are looking good.
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo

derthor likes this.
  10. derthor

derthor
    from Germany

next step paint stripping the trunk hood, but the first view looked very bad. After putting away the anti drumming parts I saw a lot of rust. I started paintstripping by myself with the angle grinder and a wire brush, but than I decided to put a little bit money in the hands an give the trunk hood to a company for chemical paint stripping.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

after the hood was rust free and bare metal it has been ktl coated

[​IMG]

brEad, Ranchero59 and kidcampbell71 like this.
  11. derthor

derthor
    from Germany

two steps forward and one step back.......the exhaust system is not the best issue and so I decided to go an other way. Inspired by the thread about the 54 Ford Crazy legs https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/crazy-legs-my-54-ford-build-thread-old-custom.709542/ I got the idea to a new steering system for the old lady. That will give me the chance to build a 2 way exhaust system. Let´s take a look if the little voices in my head are wright :D

first step to build a new exhaust system...remove the old one and for measuring and draw new flanges in 3D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

and the new steering rack arrived....Chevrolet Beretta. I hope it will work and fit

[​IMG]

12. Everything you've done is GREAT!!!!! Was your plan in the beginning to do all this "stuff"?

Are going to build headers? Seems like a lotta' work. You do know that in '55 they went to factory dual exhaust and neither the right or left side manifolds have that cross over tube provision? I bought a '57 368 that has the manifolds on it. If and when I do my '54, I'll be using them. There were also truck manifolds that look like the Ford Y-Block truck manifolds. Kinda' a rams horn style. I also have a pair of those, but I don't know if they'll fit in the Lincoln chassis.

I'm still looking for a truck bell housing to do my 4-speed. I bought a NOS Schiefer aluminum flywheel off eBay about a year ago. Along with the truck 4-barrel intake with a Holley bolt pattern, I might eventually be able to build a Hot Rod Lincoln. I need a Vertex magneto base to convert one of my mags over.

13. derthor

derthor
    from Germany

Hi modifieddriver, thx, nice to hear that you like it. ;-) When I started the project it was not my plan to start a complete restauration. First thought was to renew some bushings at the front, weld the two or three little holes and paint these little parts to drive the car in the next season to some shows, but as you can see the project went a way most of us know :D When I saw that it will be more work than I thought at the beginning, I decided to do it the "wright" way from the beginning until the end. This car is very rare and if my informations are wright, it is the only 1954 4door here in Germany.But I don´t want to restore it 100% original, ´cause I think some things,like the disc brake conversion or the new steering rack, will make it saver for the future.

Ranchero59 likes this.
  14. drtrcrV-8

drtrcrV-8

NOTE TO MODIFIEDDRIVER : Y-Block Ford Distributer same as Lincoln, except for different gear. Look for Vertex for Y-Block. hope this helps.

cobrabreeze likes this.
  15. Yes, that helps. I knew this and have a Ford Y-block Mallory dual point in case no Ford Y-block or Lincoln Vertex base shows up.

16. What's happened to you is common. One thing leads to another, to another, to another, and before ya' know it, you're into a full-blown project!!!!!!!!!!!! A '56 Ford oval track race car "fluff-up" started that way for me. Now I'm upside down in a project.

What are the exhaust plans? I read where a late model Town Car PS box can be used with a small modification. I'll probably op for that. I'm not so sure I'd want a little Cavalier rack and pinion on a car twice the weight of what it was intended for. I'm an old school kinda' guy. I might even do a PS delete. When I run outa' arm strength to turn a steering wheel on a street car, it's probably time to turn in my license. Biggest mistake guys make is putting a 15"-16" dia. steering wheel on these old cars. No leverage vs. the BIG wheel and steering efforts go way up. Then they say, "I gotta' have power". No shit!!

Doing some dirt track racing, I'll change steering wheel size to adjust for the track I'm running at, even with the racing in the cockpit power steering unit. More to change the speed of the steering, than change effort.

17. derthor

derthor
    from Germany

I think the steering rack will work. I got this idea by the thread of a 54 Ford.Here you can see how it fits to the Ford and I think it looks like the same in the Lincoln

[​IMG]

the exhaust system will only be a "normal" dual system. ;-)

Ranchero59 likes this.
  18. Ranchero59

Ranchero59

I like the way the build is going. That is my 54 Linoln in my aviator. I will send you some pictures if I can get them to download.

derthor likes this.
  19. Ranchero59

Ranchero59

I like the fender skirt treatment. If I send you mine could you do that to them. Ha Ha. Nice work.

20. Something doesn't look right with this set up . Steering column is in at an angle which will cause the steering wheel to be out of square to the seat and dash. Did they use a Y block and was everything put together for completed final fit .

21. drtrcrV-8

drtrcrV-8

more to MODIFIEDDRIVER: Rich Fox says that Ford FE bell housing pattern is VERY close to the Y-block Lincoln, & that a Lakewood style housing , using the block pins for alignment, might be redrilled to windup with an adapted bell housing to a ford transmission. Also back to the Mag adaption: all Fords (FE/ 289-302-351/Lincolns/etc) used the same "body" that went into the block, although the shafts were often of different lengths. Years ago I adapted my Vertex from Lincoln to 292" Y-block by changing the gear, then later adapted it to my 289 SBF by measuring the distance from the bottom of the distributor flange to the face of the gear, cut the shaft to match the length slid a sleeve over the shafts, drilled two holes for 'staked' pins, & had a reliable Mag Ign for many years(still have the Mag : removed it when I sold the 289, & plan to use it on my next Y-Block Lincoln: I will need to revise the shaft to the correct length. ) It has been noted that racers & hot rodders think "outside the Box"!

22. coolbreeze1340

coolbreeze1340
    from Indiana

Great work. I've had my 52' on the rack numerous time and have taken a lot of measurements for a power rack and pinion, I believe you are on the right track and that's the same route I'm planning on. Make you post lots of pictures so I can steal your design!!! Lol

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

derthor likes this.
  23. Now ya' have me thinking. But having several Vertex mags here and several other Mallory distributors to compare, I'll have to check the claim that all those distributors you mentioned have the same base. I have two FE Vertex mags and a FE mag base. Didn't think they were the same as any other Ford that I measured. I also happen to have a Ford 351 Cleveland Vertex magneto and that might be worthy of a side by side check to a Y-block Ford and/or Lincoln. Was the 351 you mention a Windsor or Cleveland? Pretty sure there's a difference.

Same thing for the Bell housing. I have a new Lakewood FE on the shelf that I should attempt to see if it matches up. My '57 Lincoln Y-block is on an engine stand and the '54 317 is still in the car. Take some work to do that match-up. Save it for the future.

24. drtrcrV-8

drtrcrV-8

APOLOGIES TO ALL : I'm NOT trying to hi-jack the thread ; just pass some info to another member that may be of use to others besides just him! NOW : I've found that the Y-block(Ford & Lincoln, the 289/302, & the (at least early)FE distributors all dropped into the same size hole in the engine(diameter) & had the same size flange to tighten the hold-down clamp to. Yes, there may be some differences in length or other configuration, but these 2 are the most important as far as this discussion : if they fit, we can deal with shaft lengths, gear differences, etc as minor inconveniences. SO: mike the distributors as to the diameter below the hold-down flange &, if the same, you will have candidates to adapt to this(or other?) projects. Think outside the box : All us "Broke-Ass" racer/tinkerers consider it traditional!! LOL!!

26. drtrcrV-8

drtrcrV-8

27. What was there to apologize about? I didn't see anything wrong. Discussion about old Lincolns and what might fit.

28. derthor

derthor
    from Germany

What means bttp? Sorry for that question but I really don't know it.

Gesendet von iPad mit H.A.M.B.

29. drtrcrV-8

drtrcrV-8

Back To The Top (we also use "BUMP" to mean the same thing with the purpose to 'move' a thread that seems to have 'stalled' back into an 'attention' position.) Consider it a form of 'shorthand'.

derthor likes this.
  30. foolthrottle

foolthrottle

The Carrera shock Lincoln

Attached Files:

derthor likes this.