Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs Shifter suggestions?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by slo-dat, Jun 30, 2017.

1. slo-dat

slo-dat
    from Coulee, WA
    1. Upholstery

I have a '54 Chevy 210 kustom that I'm getting sorted out. Currently has a TH400 with a chunk of round bar attached to the detent as a "shifter". I'm pretty certain I'll convert to a 700R4 in the not too distant future. I'm the mean time, I'm trying to sort out a shifter. It would be cool if I could either use it for both or convert when I go to the overdrive. I've looked at all the usual suspects and I'm at a loss. I want something that fits the era of the car (mostly traditional custom/H.A.M.B. friendly). I've pretty much given up on a column shifter.. The Genie looks like a good candidate. I've read so many mixed reviews about the Lokar that it sounds like a bad idea.

Interested in what you guys might suggest.

Thank you in advance!

[​IMG]

2. upspirate

upspirate

Are you going to use the T-bird seats with a console?

3. Love my Gennie in my Fleetline.

4. Working with the same issues. Couldn't find a 53-4 PG shifter. Opted for a 52. Still will have to sort out the detents. Saw the lime works column shifter kit. You use your shifter with their brackets. This includes the PRNDRL. They have neutral safety switch in there also. Might look at that. It would work with the 400 are 700. Some adjustments required I'm sure.

5. slo-dat

slo-dat
    from Coulee, WA
    1. Upholstery

Going to run the T-bird seats. Undecided on console. Realistically, it will get a console no matter how much I'd love to not.

6. slo-dat

slo-dat
    from Coulee, WA
    1. Upholstery

Do you have any photos you could share? Did you go with mid or rear mount?

7. slo-dat

slo-dat
    from Coulee, WA
    1. Upholstery

I looked hard at the Limeworks column shifter, but haven't been able to get first hand experience feedback about it. I like the looks of it, but I've heard there's some play in it. This got me thinking about a floor shifter..

8. Here is one of when I was putting the carpet in it.

Attached Files:

9. here are a couple during install, Which reminds me that I have been wanting to get a taller stick for it.

Attached Files:

10. slo-dat

slo-dat
    from Coulee, WA
    1. Upholstery

Thanks for the photos! What's the length? Are you happy with it?

11. Yea It works well, Very pleased with it. I think it was a 16" but I gotta go dig up my receipt and check. And when I do I think I'm gonna order the next size up. And put that in. Right now I gotta bend over a bit and I think if it was a little taller I won't have to.

slo-dat likes this.
  12. Mike VV

Mike VV
    from SoCal

For what it may be worth...
    If you are going to swap transmissions, look into a 200-4R rather than a 700-R4.
    The 200 has a MUCH better gear ratio selection, lighter overall, less parasitic drag (HP loss), costs about the same to hot-rod, and is just as strong.
    A coupla places to look -
    http://www.scottmcclayengineering.com/
    http://www.cpttransmission.com/

I've had both, the T200-4R is much nicer to drive with.

Mike

13. Joe H

Joe H

I have a Lokar shifter mounted to a T350 transmission. If I was to do it again, I would purchase a floor mount instead of the trans mount. The long shift handle vibrates and rattles due to the mounting location. It would be a great shifter if it was floor mounted.

slo-dat likes this.